UCSD BMS pre-application

resh

I still haven't heard from the school regarding my pre-app. I called them & they said the com. hasn't reached a final decision yet. The application deadline is Dec 5. So I'm guessing at this point I am rejected........

Has anyone heard from them?

I just heard back from them and they sent me through to the app page - I sent in the pre-app yesterday. However, I'm not an international applicant - maybe int'l preapps are part of a different pool.

Woah that was really quick! Now don't know what to make of the silence from them. I contacted them the week after the international deadline and they said they were still reviewing. Someone else contacted them last week and got the same reply and the OP had the same response so dunno...aah the joys of waiting it out!

Ps:- I sent my Pre-app in August I think-the day it came online

Edited by alleycat393

Well, I called them last week & they said it ( the com's decision) wasn't finalized & I'll be hearing from them this week

Oh yay! I hope they let people know either way-accept or reject. Thursday and Friday are holidays for them so I'm guessing this week means Wednesday? Anyway fingers crossed and good luck!

Hi fall2011biomed,

I am also an international who applied to UCSD Biomed. I don't know what to think if they take so long with the decision.. are we rejected already? the deadline is very soon. although they say they would continue to accept supporting materials after the deadline, I am not so confident anymore that I will have a chance..

Haven't heard either and neither has my friend who's in my class. The waiting is so frustrating! I emailed them on Wednesday but have had no response and the Thanksgiving weekend started yesterday so I guess there won't be anything from them till next Monday at the earliest :blink:. Well at least we're all in the same boat here so the chances that we're all rejected are lower?

Haven't heard either and neither has my friend who's in my class. The waiting is so frustrating! I emailed them on Wednesday but have had no response and the Thanksgiving weekend started yesterday so I guess there won't be anything from them till next Monday at the earliest :blink:. Well at least we're all in the same boat here so the chances that we're all rejected are lower?

I do hope so....... I did read that the % of intl students that UCSD admits is very low & esp with funding. A couple of my friends are post- doctoral researchers in UCSD in different departments & they said that right now UCSD is running pretty low on budget- professors don't have too many grants & I am guessing consequently, the process of admittance is more stringent.....but yea I've really no clue as to what's going on & esp the silence is un-nerving...........

Just updating you guys:

The AdComm is still reviewing pre-app forms. If it does not make decisions before the deadline the deadline will be extended. The person I contacted said that information about decisions, instructions to approved applicants and extension of deadline will all be in an email as appropriate from the AdComm soon.

also got the rejection.. my hopes were not too high, though. the system with the pre app can save you some money if your profile is really not good enough, but then: how would they evaluate you without SOP and LORs..?

where else are you all applying?

hey guys. i also got rejected. taking 1 or 2 in 400 is pretty crazy if you ask me... haha. i imagine there must be a legitimate reason behind that, possibly because of extremely limited funding for international students. like ash mentioned it would have been nice if they had a chance to check out our LORs and SOP because that will definitely play a big role in their decisions imo. on the other hand, it is nice to save some money from not paying the application fee.

other schools im applying to:

U of Washington

UCSF

Stanford

UC Berkeley

U of Penn

U of Chicago

Columbia

Mount Sinai

Weill Cornell

honestly, i really dont know what my chances are in any of these schools but you never know unless you try.

where are you guys located? i'm from Vancouver, Canada.

good luck to everyone with the rest of your apps!

Hi tfung15,

you are probably right, it must be due to funding limitations.. international students are much more expensive... I hope this is not so much true for all schools.

hey, we share some prospective schools :)

UCSF

UC Berkeley

Mount Sinai

Columbia

Harvard BBS

UMich Ann Arbor

UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas

Rockefeller University

maybe I aim too high with my list of schools.. let's wait and see.

btw, I am from Austria.

good luck also to you! ;)

Hey ash09,

I think you are big competitor for me.Im applying to nearly the same schools.

1. HARVARD bbs

2.Columbia

3. UC,Berkeley

4.UCSF

5.ucla

6.Southwestern,dallas

7.Albert Einstein college of med

8.Mt Sinai

Im from India.Since your from austria,just want to know how good you think is the University of Innsbruck.

wow ..guys....I just found this thread, I've been dwelling in life sciences thread, anyway

UCSD pre-apps bumps me out as well. out of 400....

apparently, there're

tfung15 from Canada,

alleycat393 from UK,

fall2011biomed from India

ash09 from Austria

me from Singapore

Interesting share of geographic diversity

most of the grad schools in alleycat393 list is the same as me. :D