Low GRE Scores for International Development MA Degrees

Coleman

I would love some advice from fellow applicants on what to do about low GRE scores.

I took the GREs for the first time today and scored a 430 Verbal and 610 Quantitative. The international development programs I am applying to (at Columbia, American, Denver, UCSD, Johns Hopkins) have higher averages than what I scored. However, I do not have time to retake the exam even if I wanted to in order to be eligible for Fall 2011. I had a 3.4 GPA for undergrad and three years of solid relevant work experience. My recommendations should also be very strong.

I return from working abroad next Summer and think the timing is perfect to return to school. Do I have a chance, or should I postpone until 2012? Thanks!

I would love some advice from fellow applicants on what to do about low GRE scores.

I took the GREs for the first time today and scored a 430 Verbal and 610 Quantitative. The international development programs I am applying to (at Columbia, American, Denver, UCSD, Johns Hopkins) have higher averages than what I scored. However, I do not have time to retake the exam even if I wanted to in order to be eligible for Fall 2011. I had a 3.4 GPA for undergrad and three years of solid relevant work experience. My recommendations should also be very strong.

I return from working abroad next Summer and think the timing is perfect to return to school. Do I have a chance, or should I postpone until 2012? Thanks!

Assuming that you're a native English speaker, your verbal score is remarkably low. You could have made it up with a quantitave score in 700's, i guess, which would also be a good sign of your ability to undertake heavy quant classes in ID programs. The only thing you can do to improve your chances after now, is to write an excellent, well-focused SOP. Hope you know what to do with an MA degree in ID.

GRE for science people doesn't mean much. in your field, it might be different. why not apply and see what happens? or, you can contact faculty in few schools and see what they have to say about your resume. most profs think GRE is useless anyway.

also, if you are planning to apply to PhD programs, think about getting a masters first. not only it will make your application for PhD much stronger, it will definitely help you in the long run.

• 1 month later...

I'm actually applying for ID programs as well at American, NYU, New School, and Georgetown. I scored a 450 V and 470 Q...yea not so good. I took it again, and I got the same thing!! ohmy.gif

Now the rest of my application is very competitive: coming out of undergrad

Overall 3.45 GPA Major GPA 3.75

BS Internationals Studies and BA Political Science awarded in May 2011

minors French and Leadership

2 internships - One with the U.S. State Department abroad

fluent in Spanish/French and beginner fluency in Arabic

a lot of volunteer/leadership activities

several honor societies

great letters of recommendation

studied abroad in France over the summer

lots of traveling to the Dominican Republic

what are my chances?!