ALL Life Sciences Applicants for Fall 2011

Mrs. Bio

I was wondering the same thing. I knew those were the dates because they are online, but have people heard from Emory Neuro (GDBBS)? I thought we might hear, but the campus was closed yesterday because of the storm.

Thanks!

Hey! I'm an EEB person, too (doesn't seem like there's many of us on this forum).

I also applied to UMichigan and UT-Austin (and a few other schools) and have only heard back from one of the other schools about an interview. That school is a special situation because I visited the campus and unofficially interviewed with someone there this fall. The person I would potentially work with at UT-Austin mentioned that the Ecology faculty usually meet and decide on a weekend to invite potential students to visit. As far as I know, there isn't a way to check online if those two schools have made formal decisions (only if they've received your application materials). I'm assuming they'll either email or call about interviews and admission decisions.

More EEB people! Hi, is this site addicting or what?! So here is my piece: So far, for EEB people, I have had either phone or Skype interviews (pretty informal) with all my POI. No word yet on official visits though and I see many people are hearing back about this! One of my POI, whom I am Skyping with again next week, tells me he still needs to make sure the grad committee approves his 'application' if you will for a new grad student. SO I guess this part has to happen first before they can invite people to visit? It's so exciting to see everyone hearing back now though!! Congrats!

I was wondering the same thing. I knew those were the dates because they are online, but have people heard from Emory Neuro (GDBBS)? I thought we might hear, but the campus was closed yesterday because of the storm.

Thanks!

I heard from Emory NGP on Thursday the 13th - though maybe you have as well by now.

Applied for Biochemistry/biophysics/Bioinformatics for fall 2011.

GRE: Q: 760 V:610 A: 3.0

GPA: 3.3

One peer reviewed paper as head author, one peer reviewed paper as second author, three conference presentations (with one in Switzerland and other one in China). Have one year of work experience in bioinformatics research.

Edited by Arpit1286

GPA: 3.9 (4.0 scale)

-3.9 in both major and non-major

-B.S. Biochemistry

GRE (general): 520 V-68% 680 Q-66% 4.0 AW

Done a ton of extracurricular activities.

-Captain of cross country running team for 3 years

-Academic All American

-Biomedical Research during two summers

-Research on diabetes in region around my university (UVA-Wise)

-Research on MAL-ED project in South Africa this summer with UVA

-Tutor 3 subjects

-Organic and Gen. Chem. Lab TA

Applied to (all PhD. Biochemistry) : UVA-Charlottesville, UMass Worcester, Purdue, Montana State University (Bozeman), University of Maryland-Baltimore, University of Maryland-Baltimore County, University of Alabama (Birmingham)

Anyway, I have not heard back from anyone. I know the GRE could have been better, but the apps are done. Keeping my fingers crossed...

GPA: 3.9 (4.0 scale)

-3.9 in both major and non-major

-B.S. Biochemistry

GRE (general): 520 V-68% 680 Q-66% 4.0 AW

Done a ton of extracurricular activities.

-Captain of cross country running team for 3 years

-Academic All American

-Biomedical Research during two summers

-Research on diabetes in region around my university (UVA-Wise)

-Research on MAL-ED project in South Africa this summer with UVA

-Tutor 3 subjects

-Organic and Gen. Chem. Lab TA

Applied to (all PhD. Biochemistry) : UVA-Charlottesville, UMass Worcester, Purdue, Montana State University (Bozeman), University of Maryland-Baltimore, University of Maryland-Baltimore County, University of Alabama (Birmingham)

Anyway, I have not heard back from anyone. I know the GRE could have been better, but the apps are done. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I was just accepted at UAB- Biochem on Friday! It's a great program and everyone in the department is really nice! I know they are still doing interviews and reviewing applications once a month. Good luck!

I have a question, what are one's chances of being accepted to a grad school if the grad school has invited them to a graduate recruitment event? I've been invited to two so far, and would really like to know what I'm up against now that I made it through the first of the filters.

A friend just showed me this hilarious Lady Gaga parody video! For my fellow bio grad students this is especially funny :)

My best friend rotated in this lab :P I can't believe how viral this video became in such short time!!

Hello!

I have a 3.9 GPA in my Environmental Biology Masters program and had a 3.9 GPA in undergrad in the Environmental Science program at University of Maryland Baltimore County. I was a Research Experience for Undergraduates Fellow at Horn Point Laboratory and worked on sedimentation in the Chesapeake Bay area. I am wrapping up my Masters thesis on the effects of river substrate on the behavioral interactions between two invasive and one native crayfish species in Maryland. I got a 610 on the quantitative and a 610 on the verbal sections of the GRE, and a 5 for the essays. I am usually a great test-taker but the GRE presented some problems for me because of the speed required to answer all the questions! I currently also work as a contractor to the EPA and review pesticide ecotoxicity studies for scientific soundness, and perform statistics on the data and calculate toxicity values that are used for ecological risk assessment.

I have applied for the PhD biology programs at Baylor University and Texas Tech University, and I have also applied to the Earth, Ecology, and Environmental Science program at Baylor.

Good luck to everybody on their applications!