Does ETS get in your business as much as TSA?

KirotBeiti

So, from everything I've read you can't bring anything at all into the exam room. This presents a challenge for me as I really need to have some drinking water available pretty much constantly. If I don't, not only do I get dehydrated quickly, it causes me huge anxiety--clearly not helpful for an exam like this. I don't really have time to request special accommodations, nor do I really know how I could ask ETS about something like this without getting laughed at.

Am I pretty much screwed? Will ETS let you bring in a perfectly clear (no label) plastic bottle of water? Would they perhaps consider providing a bottle of water to every test-taker who asks for one seeing as you can't bring anything in? (Being somewhat sarcastic there--I unfortunately can't imagine they'd be so thoughtful.)

Any advice? If all people can tell me is "Well, just deal with it," I'll be disappointed but I'll also understand.

So, from everything I've read you can't bring anything at all into the exam room. This presents a challenge for me as I really need to have some drinking water available pretty much constantly. If I don't, not only do I get dehydrated quickly, it causes me huge anxiety--clearly not helpful for an exam like this. I don't really have time to request special accommodations, nor do I really know how I could ask ETS about something like this without getting laughed at.

Am I pretty much screwed? Will ETS let you bring in a perfectly clear (no label) plastic bottle of water? Would they perhaps consider providing a bottle of water to every test-taker who asks for one seeing as you can't bring anything in? (Being somewhat sarcastic there--I unfortunately can't imagine they'd be so thoughtful.)

Any advice? If all people can tell me is "Well, just deal with it," I'll be disappointed but I'll also understand.

You can try asking, but the test center seemed pretty strict. I'm pretty sure they won't let you (ridiculous, I know). My test center had a water cooler right outside the testing area, which means you're allowed to sign out and chug a few cups of water as often as you can without looking suspicious (they warn you that leaving the test room too many times might warrant some kind of investigation).

They won't let you take anything into the test room except: (1) your ID; (2) key to locker; (3) your body; (4) the clothes you're wearing. My testing center required turning pockets inside out and a scan by a metal detecting wand before entering the room.

I had the same worry about becoming dehydrated, too, but I forgot about being thirsty completely when I was writing my essays. Then I just chugged lots of water during the break and slogged through the rest of the test. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way around it; just play the game. (Heck, you aren't even allowed to have water during the GRE Subject Test (paper-based)! Yet people were allowed to go to the restroom--and I have a suspicion that some of those testers who took a bathroom break didn't actually need to go to the restroom ... Oh, ETS and their convoluted policies.)

Good luck!

Any advice?

unlike what has been told above, i experienced something else. i was allowed to take water with me, but in a cup. yea, sound ridiculous. i didn't bring any water because it was early in the morning and i thought i wouldn't need any. but i got thirsty during the test, and asked out to drink water from the water fountain in the lobby. there were cups nearby, so i filled a cup with water and asked the receptionist if i could take it in with me. she said yes.

maybe it differs by location - town/state/country (i took the test in the US), and if the people there are cool. bring a bottle of water with you and ask the people in the testing center. i don't see why they wouldn't let you have water.

unlike what has been told above, i experienced something else. i was allowed to take water with me, but in a cup. yea, sound ridiculous. i didn't bring any water because it was early in the morning and i thought i wouldn't need any. but i got thirsty during the test, and asked out to drink water from the water fountain in the lobby. there were cups nearby, so i filled a cup with water and asked the receptionist if i could take it in with me. she said yes.

maybe it differs by location - town/state/country (i took the test in the US), and if the people there are cool. bring a bottle of water with you and ask the people in the testing center. i don't see why they wouldn't let you have water.

What the hell. I also took the test in the US and they told me I couldn't bring any water in with me. And I got really thirsty! Annoying.

What the hell. I also took the test in the US and they told me I couldn't bring any water in with me. And I got really thirsty! Annoying.

Yeah I wasn't allowed to bring in anything either. Every 5 minutes (literally) a ETS employee walked into the testing room and checked that no one had anything they weren't supposed to.

I drank some of an energy drink right before the test and finished it after the writing section during the 10 minute break. That worked well for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I tested at a Prometric center and though they were very strict (searched my pockets, etc), they allowed me to access my locker during my break to eat a granola bar and drink water. Just politely tell them you feel sick and it's absolutely necessary and maybe they will take pity on you.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a blessing and a curse with the water. Four hours is a heck of a long time without anything to drink. I took my ten minute break after AW to get out of the room, stretch my legs and drink something. But I wouldn't have kept water with me at the station. I would be paranoid needing to use my precious Q-V test time for a restroom break.

If it's a truly medical issue, talk with your test center ahead of time. They may make some accommodations.