Do I have a shot at Georgetown?

Pleiades

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of applying to several MA/Ph.D. programs in the field of History with a concentration on the Middle East. I was originally planning on applying to Georgetown, but the GRE has got me down and now I'm trying to figure out whether it'll even be worth the money to apply. Can anyone who is familiar with this school or schools of this caliber give me your assessment on my chances at such an institution? I have a 3.8 GPA, have extensive research experience as a prof's research assistant, am writing an honors thesis, have great LORs (from what my recommenders tell me), profs have told me that my writing sample and SOP are strong, and have experience teaching at the college level from my job at my university's Writing Center. BUT my GRE scores are 610 Verbal/510 Quant/4.5 Analytical, and due to a variety of circumstances, I didn't have the opportunity to retake and try getting a higher score.

The page about admission requirements on Georgetown's site says "A verbal score in the mid-600's is expected; quantitative and analytical scores will be evaluated in the light of each applicant's overall credentials."

So what do you think? Are my chances at getting into Georgetown too slim to bother?

Edited by Pleiades

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of applying to several MA/Ph.D. programs in the field of History with a concentration on the Middle East. I was originally planning on applying to Georgetown, but the GRE has got me down and now I'm trying to figure out whether it'll even be worth the money to apply. Can anyone who is familiar with this school or schools of this caliber give me your assessment on my chances at such an institution? I have a 3.8 GPA, have extensive research experience as a prof's research assistant, am writing an honors thesis, have great LORs (from what my recommenders tell me), profs have told me that my writing sample and SOP are strong, and have experience teaching at the college level from my job at my university's Writing Center. BUT my GRE scores are 610 Verbal/510 Quant/4.5 Analytical, and due to a variety of circumstances, I didn't have the opportunity to retake and try getting a higher score.

The page about admission requirements on Georgetown's site says "A verbal score in the mid-600's is expected; quantitative and analytical scores will be evaluated in the light of each applicant's overall credentials."

So what do you think? Are my chances at getting into Georgetown too slim to bother?

Your chances seem good, or at least you are competitive enough to apply. I am curious though, do many phd applicants in history do an MA before a phd? It is really common in theology, so I assume it is similar in history.

Also, your GRE scores are pretty good. Sure, they might hurt you, but I doubt it.

Your chances seem good, or at least you are competitive enough to apply. I am curious though, do many phd applicants in history do an MA before a phd? It is really common in theology, so I assume it is similar in history.

Also, your GRE scores are pretty good. Sure, they might hurt you, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your thoughts, wagnern. From what I've researched, most of the higher ranked history programs only accept Ph.D. candidates and you can get an MA in the process. Two of the seven schools I'm applying to offer terminal MAs, so I'll be applying for the MA at those universities and then pursue a Ph.D. if I end up attending there.

What have you go to lose? Give it a shot, seriously. Especially if you already have the languages(s).

Try to apply for the PhD in those programs that also have terminal MAs because why would you want to pay for it? Worst that can happen are these: The process for each is separate and you may need to ask the DGS if you can apply to both or have to pick one, or if you don't get into the PhD program, you always go back to the DGS and say "Hey, I really love your school and would like an opportunity to be considered for the MA." Usually, especially if you're competitive enough, they'll say yes.

Thanks for your thoughts, wagnern. From what I've researched, most of the higher ranked history programs only accept Ph.D. candidates and you can get an MA in the process. Two of the seven schools I'm applying to offer terminal MAs, so I'll be applying for the MA at those universities and then pursue a Ph.D. if I end up attending there.

Well, at least in theology there are a ton of people who have master's degrees, mainly because there is a surplus of people who want to pursue ministry, ect. On the flip side of this, there are those, like me, who have purely academic interests. What ends up happening is unless you went to a really really good UG school with great stats, you are not likely to get into a PhD program without a masters of some kind. Again, it is likely different for other fields. I am also speaking from my experience at more "academic" schools, whereas I'm sure you might be able to get into a PhD program at "John Smith Seminary" with just a BA (guessing). It is odd, though, that other fields such as history do not offer funding (grants or loans) for a masters. I know, for instance, here at BC some guys doing their MA in philosophy, but paying out of pocket, since they don't offer funding. I'm sure the history MA is similar here.

best

What have you go to lose? Give it a shot, seriously. Especially if you already have the languages(s).

Try to apply for the PhD in those programs that also have terminal MAs because why would you want to pay for it? Worst that can happen are these: The process for each is separate and you may need to ask the DGS if you can apply to both or have to pick one, or if you don't get into the PhD program, you always go back to the DGS and say "Hey, I really love your school and would like an opportunity to be considered for the MA." Usually, especially if you're competitive enough, they'll say yes.

Yeah, the only reason I'm applying for the MAs at two of the schools is that they do not have a Ph.D. only track until you get your masters (though one of them allows you to move onto the PhD without reapplying once you are accepted to the MA program). Luckily, these schools do offer some type of funding for masters programs.

So I've decided to apply and see what happens.

There are people in my grad program. My cohort is about 50/50. Most of the people who have MAs either weren't very driven in undergrad and have to make up for their poorer undergrad record or did not study history as an undergrad. This is the main reason to get an MA before PhD. In some cases, it can be helpful if you went to a much less than stellar undergrad institution to jump into realm higher ranked programs for the PhD.

There are people in my grad program. My cohort is about 50/50.

You have people in your grad program? Unbelievable, I thought it was populated by robots! lol. ;) Sorry, I'm confused; are you saying half of the people in your cohort got an MA first?

The two MA options are my "safe" schools.

You have people in your grad program? Unbelievable, I thought it was populated by robots! lol. ;) Sorry, I'm confused; are you saying half of the people in your cohort got an MA first?

The two MA options are my "safe" schools.

You did understand! Yes, 4 people have MAs in history, and 4 of us are picking them up on the way (This is people in my year, there are more than 8 PhD students where I go).

Well, I turned in the application yesterday! You guys were right; I had nothing to lose (except $70), so we'll see how this all turns out. The expense of living in D.C. might be an issue, but it all depends on funding if I'm even accepted. I'm well on my way to being fluent on Arabic, so hopefully that'll help (but then I remember that there are others who are already perfectly fluent in Arabic and often even Turkish). Oh, applications - fun stuff!