Employment history?

closetgeek

One of my applications asks for employment history. I haven't actually worked during college, though. It states: "You may substitute employment with professional activities relevant to your academic goals."

What qualifies as a professional activity? Here are some things I have done while in college:

• Webmaster for the school's student union
  • president of ACM-W for over a year
  • REU at UMass Summer 2009
  • REU at Rutgers Summer 2010

Do any of these actually count? Or should I just skip this question? Thanks!

Employment history is a gray area, because if you worked for your professor, then it would technically be an employment but can also be counted as a part of your research work. Rather than ripping hairs off during the process to distinguish these different areas, I think it is logical to mention your research and work experience as a single entity. Unless you have worked for a 'real' company outside the school, I would not worry about trying to separate out employment activity from research/school-related activity.

Now, from what I've seen in my applications, listing employment history is optional. Besides, we all discuss our research/internship/work experiences in the SoP anyway. Adding to that, if your application allows you to upload your resume, or if you are sending your resume to the program later, then this might be even more redundant. It definitely won't hurt to mention your employment/work history, but you don't have to stress too much over it.