Three LORs in, One missing...Would it look bad?

I'm applying to Poli Sci PhD programs. I have 4 recommenders but only three have already submitted the letters. I started to believe that my forth recommender will keep forgetting to submit his letter, even though I have emailed him multiple times to remind him about it. As for most programs, I'm only required to submit three LORs.

My question is whether it would look bad if I submit applications listing 4 recommender but only 3 submitted them? Should I delete this forth recommender before submitting the application?

I'm applying to Poli Sci PhD programs. I have 4 recommenders but only three have already submitted the letters. I started to believe that my forth recommender will keep forgetting to submit his letter, even though I have emailed him multiple times to remind him about it. As for most programs, I'm only required to submit three LORs.

My question is whether it would look bad if I submit applications listing 4 recommender but only 3 submitted them? Should I delete this forth recommender before submitting the application?

If you are requested to submit 3 LORs and you WILL submit only 3 LORs, there is no reason why you should write that you will submit 4 LORs on your application. It may confuse adcoms. Perhaps they will be waiting for that fourth LOR to arrive. If you indicate only three recommenders and your fourth recommender sends his/her letter in the end, it will not be a problem. But if you indicate four recommenders and one won't send a letter, it can bit a (little) problem. Why do you want to sumbit 4 letters for programs that request only 3 anyway?

Edited by Strangefox

It won't look bad, but as Strangefox said, the adcomm might get confused. Even I was thinking about sending 4 letters to few programs because they had empty slots and the direction read '...at least 3 LoRs...'. But it's not really worth it. If you think the 3 letters that are already in have done a good job in recommending your for grad studies, you don't really need the 4th one. In most places, you can turn in your applications before having all LoRs in. The 4th (or any) one can reach little late, and that's fine. But if it reaches the school very late and the adcomm was waiting on that letter to begin the review process, your chances might drop.

You can politely tell the 4th writer that the deadlines are coming up, and you are going to turn in the applications in a matter of few days. If he/she can make it, not bad. If not, you can submit the applications as you already have the required 3 LoRs.

If the recommender is a professor who said he/she would submit the letter, I bet that he/she will follow through. Most professors have no problem submitting the letters on the last day before the deadline (or even a day or two after). I also don't think it will look bad or cause problems if for any reason the fourth person did not submit his/her letter, so long as you at least have the minimum.

Thanks all for the feedback! Yes, my forth is a professor that knows me well and is very well known in the Poli Sci field. My other recommenders know me well too, so I guess you guys are right. I'll just submit my application and if the forth one comes later, at least I already have 3 in.

Thanks!