Is it really THAT inappropriate/awkward/uncomfortable to give small thank you gifts to letter writers?

The only reason I ask is because I was actually quite surprised at the negative responses from professors who write letters for students, and how they felt extremely weird receiving them.

I understand how it may be perceived as a "bribe".

But personally for me, I was extremely happy and thankful (assuming that they submit the letters on time..which is a whole other issue) that my professors said they'd write letters for me, and I applied to a lengthy list of schools (13 to be exact). Also, these were the same professors who are also writing for God knows how many other students, with equally numerous schools....I'm sure letter writing is an overwhelming and exhausting task..I can't imagine how time consuming it must be.

I gave them a really small box of chocolates (maybe like, 4 pieces) with a $5 gift card that came with the box, and a handwritten card, and this was months after they agreed to write letters for me, and after one professor had submitted at least 1 letter electronically (which I didn't find out unti later). Would such small thank you gift be a cause of awkwardness/discomfort? I wanted to show my appreciation in my own way, without going too overboard.

Also, I used to be a teacher at a secondary level and I wouldn't have minded a little gift, esp. if I was taking care of so many letters. Many students gave me birthday gifts, baked goods (those crazy high school kids...) and wrote cards without spending a lot of money and not once did I ever take them as signs of bribery. But then again, that's just me.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that not only was I thankful for the letters, but also because they were genuinely very good professors and held their positions with dignity and professionalism, which I admire very much. I expressed these in the cards as well.

Edited by gradstudent84

A thank you email or card are perfectly acceptable and I agree that I enjoy getting them from students as well. You should send one after your letters have been submitted and you should also update your writers about the outcome of your application process and where you chose to go.

As for gifts, first of all you shouldn't give them *before* all your letters have been submitted. It may be construed as a bribe and could place the professor in an awkward situation. Second, you have to decide if they are appropriate at all based on your relationship with the professor. Personally I think a card is enough. Otherwise people usually give baked goods, wine, a book, gift certificates, or take the prof out for coffee/lunch. Be careful, people may have problems with certain foods or drinks, they may already have the book you got them, etc. I just think it's unnecessary--writing letters is part of the professors' job and saying 'thank you' should be enough.

A thank you email or card are perfectly acceptable and I agree that I enjoy getting them from students as well. You should send one after your letters have been submitted and you should also update your writers about the outcome of your application process and where you chose to go.

As for gifts, first of all you shouldn't give them *before* all your letters have been submitted. It may be construed as a bribe and could place the professor in an awkward situation. Second, you have to decide if they are appropriate at all based on your relationship with the professor. Personally I think a card is enough. Otherwise people usually give baked goods, wine, a book, gift certificates, or take the prof out for coffee/lunch. Be careful, people may have problems with certain foods or drinks, they may already have the book you got them, etc. I just think it's unnecessary--writing letters is part of the professors' job and saying 'thank you' should be enough.

Technically, I don't think writing letters is part of their job. It is not like it helps them get tenured, and once tenured, they definitely don't have to do it if they don't want to. It is assumed and customary for professors to write letters of recommendation, but it is not their job nor a requirement.

Having said that, all of my professors have already submitted my recommendations, and I sent them thank you cards and $25 gift cards each. This is probably a little excessive to most, but I am EXTREMELY close with all of my letter writers (like been to their houses, dinner, talk on the phone frequently, and so forth). So the gift was to thank them for the time put in to the letters, but also to thank them for all they have taught me about life and my field of study. I think writing a letter is most definitely necessary and proper etiquette, and personally, I believe a gift is appropriate as well. No one is deserving of a recommendation. They took their time out of their busy lives to write them, and I believe a gift shows how grateful one is - and even that gift could not express how appreciate I am of my professors.

Technically, I don't think writing letters is part of their job. It is not like it helps them get tenured, and once tenured, they definitely don't have to do it if they don't want to. It is assumed and customary for professors to write letters of recommendation, but it is not their job nor a requirement.

Having said that, all of my professors have already submitted my recommendations, and I sent them thank you cards and $25 gift cards each. This is probably a little excessive to most, but I am EXTREMELY close with all of my letter writers (like been to their houses, dinner, talk on the phone frequently, and so forth). So the gift was to thank them for the time put in to the letters, but also to thank them for all they have taught me about life and my field of study. I think writing a letter is most definitely necessary and proper etiquette, and personally, I believe a gift is appropriate as well. No one is deserving of a recommendation. They took their time out of their busy lives to write them, and I believe a gift shows how grateful one is - and even that gift could not express how appreciate I am of my professors.

It is part of their job indirectly because it can reflect on their career - where your students end up, especially if they were your particular project (ie. you had an advisor/advisee relationship), reflects on you (and therefore your ability to gain tenure), the department and the school you work at. It's not a requirement in that they have a quota, or anything like that but it's an expected part of the job - and its something you WANT to be asked to do as a professor. They can certainly turn it down, and you're right that no one *deserves* a recommendation, but professors know it's an expected part of their job/career.

Also- if you're super close with the professor that puts you in a different realm (in my opinion) than people who are just asking a professor who they don't know outside of class/office hours - which I believe is the situation with this particular poster. There are a lot of blogs/forums out there with professors complaining about students giving them gifts and how it can be awkward for them professionally speaking - because they or others could be unaware of the students intentions. In a situation like yours where they know you well that sort of thing is not an issue, with a student who they only know in a classroom/office setting it's not always clear.

To the original poster - less than 5 dollar gifts is no biggie, it might appear strange you gave it to them before the letters were submitted, but most professors understand that its your first time doing something like that, and there isn't really a universally known procedure (without digging into forums like these or books on the subject, its not surprising you wouldn't know). It's not going to ruin you or anything, and whats done is done. Don't sweat it. A misstep in etiquette when attempting to thank someone is the least of your application worries!!

Thank you for your posts. I won't let it get to me now. I just hated the thought of a show of gratitude being misconstrued as something entirely different (and negative) but hey, I truly was sincere and however they think of it is up to them. They reacted very pleasantly and thanked me so I will take it at face value without analyzing anything...it simply doesn't seem worth it to analyze when I have so much on my plate already.

Edited by gradstudent84

I give my all my LOR writers a $15 giftcard for Starbucks or Barnes and Noble. It's a small enough to say thanks, but not big enough to be considered a bribe. I think it's important to also state how well you know the people writing your LORs. I have known 2 of the 3 writers for years, and they would never take it as anything other than sincere appreciation.

What if one of my recommenders is part of a department that I am applying to? I did a summer program at another school and am applying to it, would that be inappropriate?

I think that's kind of dangerous- you're entering "could look like a bribe" territory there. A thank you letter is sufficient- just hand write a note in it.

I think that's kind of dangerous- you're entering "could look like a bribe" territory there. A thank you letter is sufficient- just hand write a note in it.

yeah, thats exactly what I want to avoid. I think I'll stick with a nice hand written thank you note. Thanks for the reply

Here's my opinion. After letters have been submitted, it's fine to send a gift to every letter writer -- not inappropriate at all -- but unnecessary, a bit too much, as if you're sending it as a formality. A nice gesture, and appreciated, but ultimately not needed. These are employed (often tenured) professors and you are most likely not making their salary as a student; they see it as part of their job; you can usually only buy them impersonal gifts like Starbucks cards or a corporate bookstore card or a bottle of wine, especially if you have already moved away from school and the area has much better coffee than Starbucks (hehe). However, I think giving a gift to a professor with whom you have a closer personal-but-professional relationship is totally different. Your relationship is more developed and you can send a gift that actually means something. In that case, it may not be necessary, but it's a bit more like giving a gift to a "superior friend" than just a professor with whom you took a course. And, in such a case, you are not giving the gift simply for writing a letter; you are giving a gift out of a kind of friendship, as well as thankfulness for their guidance and support and faith in you. In short: no, it's not usually inappropriate or awkward or "bad" in any way, but, at the same time, unless you know the professor enough to buy a gift with some thought to their tastes (gleaned from time working closely with him or her), I think it's unnecessary. Especially from geographical distance!

So is time-frame for being "too late" with hand written appreciation cards your last deadline in January?

I am hoping to get mine out this week.

I've thanked profusely via email and in person several times already so I'm not too worried about looking rude.

Edited by musicforfun

Others have already said it but it bears repeating--it all depends on your relationship. For instance, I had a professor who I got along very well with for about three years, and I applied for a very prestigious national scholarship the Marshall (which I ultimately lost, anyway) and since she gave me feedback on my Statement, study plans etc every step of the way and helped me a great deal I decided to get her a nice gift basket worth approximately $30 since she had been writing letters for internships, scholarships etc and supporting me for three years. If I didn't know her that well I would not have bothered and sent a simple card instead.