Am I applying for the wrong programs?

crock1255

I'm finding my interests lie in the intersection of poli sci and sociology, but I want my work to be practical. I'm interested in topics of diffusion and the role of networks as they relate to national security. Do I belong in sociology, Poli-sci, public policy? I was introduced to social networks through sociology, so didn't really think to look in other departments, but have since been speaking with a lot of people in different departments who all (shocker) think their department is the bees knees.

Ultimately, I want to apply my research first and teach second. I am wondering how my potential advisors in sociology/poli-sci would feel if I didn't go straight to academia. And if I belong in a public policy program, which one? Network analysis is key for me. One person recommended UMich with their join PhD in Public Policy and Poli-sci.

Stats:

Undergrad: solid, well known research university

UGPA: 3.56/4

double major poli-sci/sociology (a theme?) GPA: 3.76 and 3.81

GRE: V: 680

Q: 620

AW: 5

Solid research in networks, political theory. Solid Recs

Worked in large consulting firm doing health care (don't want to focus on healthcare). Two presentations at international conferences.

Edited by crock1255

I'm finding my interests lie in the intersection of poli sci and sociology, but I want my work to be practical. I'm interested in topics of diffusion and the role of networks as they relate to national security. Do I belong in sociology, Poli-sci, public policy? I was introduced to social networks through sociology, so didn't really think to look in other departments, but have since been speaking with a lot of people in different departments who all (shocker) think their department is the bees knees.

Ultimately, I want to apply my research first and teach second. I am wondering how my potential advisors in sociology/poli-sci would feel if I didn't go straight to academia. And if I belong in a public policy program, which one? Network analysis is key for me. One person recommended UMich with their join PhD in Public Policy and Poli-sci.

Stats:

Worked in large consulting firm doing health care (don't want to focus on healthcare). Two presentations at international conferences.

Are you interested in an MA degree or a Phd? If you're considering a Phd, public policy or similar areas do not generally offer Phd programs, you should better do a politics Phd. For an MA degree, U of Denver Korbel School, GWU Elliott and Georgetown has excellent security programs. But my gut feeling is that you should stick with sociology and do a Phd. Northwestern could be an ideal place for example..

Stats:

I'm assuming you want a PhD. I would avoid pure sociology departments as they do not often have qualified academics that can properly advise on national security issues. Though your research might very well be sociological in nature, the topic is certainly not a traditional sociological strength unless you are approaching the topic from a structuralist or marxist standpoint or something. If you want something practical and close to security studies practitioners, you're much better off in a public policy or political science or security studies program. These are all inherently interdisciplinary (and particularly public policy and sec studies), so you can often bring in advisors from different disciplinary and topical backgrounds. Michigan would be a terrific place for this, as would almost any of the DC schools, Chicago Harris, etc.

Only caveat is that if you want a successful application in a really highly rated program, you will need to boost your quant GRE scores somewhat. But at the level you're at, you could still get in a very decent program at someplace like George Mason or even have a shot at Pitt GSPIA. Good luck.

The CMU Heinz Curriculum (MS. Public Policy and Management) has a core requirement in organizational design and integration. We have two experts in organizational design, social networks, and organizational change: David Krackhardt (http://heinz.cmu.edu/faculty-and-research/faculty-profiles/faculty-details/index.aspx?faculty_id=50) and Denise Rousseau (http://heinz.cmu.edu/faculty-and-research/faculty-profiles/faculty-details/index.aspx?faculty_id=81). We also have Laura Dabbish, who along with a few PhD students, are focusing on organizational design and networks as well. We have courses in Performance Management, Organizational Change, Evidence-Based Management, Social Network Methods, Int. Social Network Methods, Power and Influence, and Adv. Power and Influence. Ever since I've started my program, people rave about these professors and these courses, and how both Rousseau and Krackhardt are nationally renowned in the field, etc.

I'd recommend getting in touch with them about options for study, at the very least. They may be able to recommend which type of program would be a good fit for you, if not Heinz. I know that as a student here, you can be their research assistant, and they are both very accessible. Also, at Heinz you can take courses with GSPIA at UPitt, which has a top-ranked security studies program. Combining elements from the Heinz MSPPM and the GSPIA MIA might be a worthwhile combination for your interests.

Look at the Rochester Institute of Technology's program in public policy. It's actually, Science, Technology, and Public Policy, and it's a Master's program, but you could pretty likely get funding as it's a fledgling program looking to attract better students. RIT has a TON of courses in diffusion theory (tech transfer), so you could explore all of your interests at one uni. As far as I know, they don't have a PhD right now, but it'd be good exposure to experts in tech policy for your later dissertation.

CMU is also excellent--just depends on what kind of program size you're looking for.