Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

I'm comparative at Berkeley and I've decided not to sweat the acceptances posted yet. Berkeley is a comp. powerhouse. We would have seen the ripples if they has sent out admits.

What bothers me is that some schools seem to notify admits first, where others reject people first. Hard to gauge where one stands...

UT Austin has really been a roller coaster for me. The mass rejection goes out yesterday and I survive that. I am thinking I am in the hunt. Then a mass acceptance goes out and I'm still on the sidelines. At this point after getting wait-listed at Pitt and having a strange experience with Vanderbilt I'm resigning myself to being the ideal "wait-list guy".

Then Texas comes through with an acceptance. I've hit the board! Hook 'em horns!

Can I ask what the strange experience with Vanderbilt was?

Can I ask what the strange experience with Vanderbilt was?

Things were looking very promising and then I had a phone interview that was a little awkward. Now things don't look quite as promising, although I still hold out hope.

Things were looking very promising and then I had a phone interview that was a little awkward. Now things don't look quite as promising, although I still hold out hope.

Hmmm that is strange. At least you got an interview though. I'm sure you are still in pretty good shape. Hopefully we will both be hearing good news soon!

I think a lot of these programs expect interviews to be a little awkward. Unless you said anything truly awful, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

No, I didn't say anything awful. You are probably right and I am reading far too much into it.

To whomever posted the latest Austin acceptance with the stats. How do you know if you received a TA position? Was it listed in the letter?

Nobody else on this board or on the result page mentioned any info on funding. In my letter they said that they'll let me know about the funding package later and also other people here were saying the same.

No offense intended, but looking at those stats that result looks fake to me

To whomever posted the latest Austin acceptance with the stats. How do you know if you received a TA position? Was it listed in the letter?

Something makes me think that post wasn't real. If not, then I suppose it just serves to emphasize how important the non-quantitative portions of the application are.

Has anyone gotten into UNC heard about the funding offers.... I just got one for 15K plus we have to pay around 2k for student fees! WTF... So they expect us to live off of 13K per year in chapel hill... that is insane! Does anyone know if we can negotiate for better packages!?!

i got the same one, with a $3k summer fellowship. still ridiculously low. also, aren't stipends taxed?? so it's even less, right? i don't even think it's possible to live on (presumably) $9k/year.

i got the same one, with a $3k summer fellowship. still ridiculously low. also, aren't stipends taxed?? so it's even less, right? i don't even think it's possible to live on (presumably) $9k/year.

Stipends are taxed, but since it's only 15k, your effective tax rate will be zero.

My first official rejection today, from Northwestern via the website. I wish they would have just sent them all out yesterday instead of waiting a day and giving me a smidgen of false hope. Ah well. 1 down, 6 to go.

Sorry, bugbear. The wyas of the adcomms are mysterious and despair inducing.

I am experiencing the same smidgen of hope, but it occurs to me that I might not be looking in the right place for the message.

The result would be on the "Applicant Status Page", down at the bottom?

Sorry, bugbear. The wyas of the adcomms are mysterious and despair inducing.

I am experiencing the same smidgen of hope, but it occurs to me that I might not be looking in the right place for the message.

The result would be on the "Applicant Status Page", down at the bottom?

No, I believe you go to https://gradstatus.northwestern.edu . You log in with the email address you used for your application, and your application ID. You then get to see a status page with all kinds of useful information. Hope this helps!

It is still ridiculous how UNC expects us to live off that small of a stipend and pay student fees from it.

After student fees, you'll be right at the poverty line (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/data/threshld/thresh10.xls). At least you'll probably qualify for all sorts of aid programs designed for the indigent.

Same here, no news yet. My last name starts with a V, so I'll probably be at the bottom of the pile...

Haven't heard from them, either. It's probably my last name, as well - I'm in the dead center of the pile. So, glimmers of hope, but mostly false hope, I know. Just wish we could fast-forward a month or so.

Anyone know roughly how many applicants there are (were)?