Social Psychology Application Thread 2010-2011

A. sesquipedale

Did they already send out interviews and acceptances?

Hey guys,

I decided to contribute from the information that I got so far... I don't have much, but here it is:

in NYU 250 applicants for 4 admissions

in Purdue - only 3 admissions (I don't know the number of applicants)

if you have any information for the status in these universities - or in Yale, CUNY at Buffalo, Minnesota, Rochester - Please let me know...

THANKS!

How long ago were your applications due? I've only heard from one school so I'm getting pretty nervous/annoyed/tired of waiting. Did your POIs seem upset that your weren't just waiting for the official rejection?

My applications were due in November and December, and none of the replies I've received so far have been negative or annoyed-sounding. They've all been quite helpful, and specific actually. For instance, some said I was rejected because of funding issues, other say my GRE sucked, and another said he wasn't allowed a new grad student. I much prefer these over the generalized reject letter. Besides, sometimes I'm the squeaky wheel--if that gets me in trouble, oh well. But so far, it hasn't. Hope this helps!

You are brave! I don't think I could do that knowing there could be a huge flood of rejections. Good luck with the rest of them! I hope you have good news. :)

I second that! You deserve credit for your initiative. Not sure if there's an emoticon for "You've come so far already; keep the hope alive because you've definitely got the spirit to make it." Maybe this would do: B)

Has anyone heard any news from Harvard's Social Pscyhology program (advisors: Gilbert and Langer)? Have interviews been requested yet? Any acceptances or rejections? It's my first choice program mainly because of the professors' research interests and I would love to live in Cambridge again...

I heard from my POI only yesterday (Tuesday); he said to expect a phone interview, which is scheduled for tomorrow, conducted by some of his grad students. I believe two other people on the short list will be interviewed in similar fashion. There is space for only one new student in my POI's lab.

Given that I heard from my POI so recently, it's quite possible that your POI is still reviewing applications. Case in point: Yale's application was also due December 15th, and not one social psych applicant has heard from them, at least according to the results page and this thread.

I heard from my POI only yesterday (Tuesday); he said to expect a phone interview, which is scheduled for tomorrow, conducted by some of his grad students. I believe two other people on the short list will be interviewed in similar fashion. There is space for only one new student in my POI's lab.

Given that I heard from my POI so recently, it's quite possible that your POI is still reviewing applications. Case in point: Yale's application was also due December 15th, and not one social psych applicant has heard from them, at least according to the results page and this thread.

How did your interview go?! That's super exciting to have an interview at Harvard, but honestly, I find it incredibly odd that your interview was with a grad student --don't you? Personally, it would make me wonder how involved that professor would be as an advisor if he doesn't even conduct his own grad school interviews. Feel free to PM me in response if you would prefer.

How did your interview go?! That's super exciting to have an interview at Harvard, but honestly, I find it incredibly odd that your interview was with a grad student --don't you? Personally, it would make me wonder how involved that professor would be as an advisor if he doesn't even conduct his own grad school interviews. Feel free to PM me in response if you would prefer.

I totally hear you--it does raise a red flag. At the same time, he extended the courtesy of calling me to alert me about the interview, and we had a brief conversation about our convergent research interests. The interview itself was simply a prolonged version of that. If I'm lucky enough to receive an offer, I'll be sure to inquire further about the degree of my POI's involvement with his grad students; from what I've heard so far, however, face-to-face time with him will not be a problem.

That highlights the importance of ensuring your POI's mentoring style suits you. It's probably a good idea to ask whether our POIs follow an apprenticeship, hands-on model or an independent, laissez-faire model. Of course, even hands-on mentors can't define your research interests for you or identify what you're passionate about, though they may present you with some ideas, a loose agenda, or even unfinished data sets.

Well, after a day long series of interviews at Brandeis U. I was notified today that I was accepted and funded for 5 years! Official letter in mail soon. Aside from that I've received rejections from URI (Feb 9th) and UC San Diego (Feb 2nd). The only other school I'm waiting for, which I would consider over Brandeis, is Harvard with Langer...no word yet. Though, I like the offer of full funding from Brandeis.

Good luck all!

Accepted: Brandeis

Rejected: URI, UCSD

Waiting: Harvard, Clark, Syracuse, Boston College, UNH

I totally hear you--it does raise a red flag. At the same time, he extended the courtesy of calling me to alert me about the interview, and we had a brief conversation about our convergent research interests. The interview itself was simply a prolonged version of that. If I'm lucky enough to receive an offer, I'll be sure to inquire further about the degree of my POI's involvement with his grad students; from what I've heard so far, however, face-to-face time with him will not be a problem.

That highlights the importance of ensuring your POI's mentoring style suits you. It's probably a good idea to ask whether our POIs follow an apprenticeship, hands-on model or an independent, laissez-faire model. Of course, even hands-on mentors can't define your research interests for you or identify what you're passionate about, though they may present you with some ideas, a loose agenda, or even unfinished data sets.

It sounds like it went well then--that's awesome! And if his grad students said it wouldn't be a problem then I'm sure it will be fine. Have you met him before? I have interacted with a handful of profs at Harvard, so if you PM me his name, then I could give you my impression if I have met him (though that opinion would be based on only a brief conversation so take it with a grain of salt).

Congratulations!! Now any other offers you get are just gravy!

Well, after a day long series of interviews at Brandeis U. I was notified today that I was accepted and funded for 5 years! Official letter in mail soon. Aside from that I've received rejections from URI (Feb 9th) and UC San Diego (Feb 2nd). The only other school I'm waiting for, which I would consider over Brandeis, is Harvard with Langer...no word yet. Though, I like the offer of full funding from Brandeis.

Good luck all!

Good luck all!

Congrats, that must feel great! Time to reward yourself--you deserve it after working so hard! Heck, I think everyone deserves to reward themselves at this point!

It sounds like it went well then--that's awesome! And if his grad students said it wouldn't be a problem then I'm sure it will be fine. Have you met him before? I have interacted with a handful of profs at Harvard, so if you PM me his name, then I could give you my impression if I have met him (though that opinion would be based on only a brief conversation so take it with a grain of salt).

Cool, thanks very much! I just PMed you.

I second that! You deserve credit for your initiative. Not sure if there's an emoticon for "You've come so far already; keep the hope alive because you've definitely got the spirit to make it." Maybe this would do: B)

Aw, thank you!

Yeah, there's still hope! good luck!

Got a note from my POI at FSU saying that although I didn't make the interview recruit, I'm still on her "narrowed down list" of applicants . . . so, I guess I'm waitlisted to be waitlisted? lol

I just want to say I hate waiting. I was told at SPSP that I would hear about my app in a week or two by a POI (U of Arkansas)...and then last week he said they were making decisions at the end of that week. So, it's been two weeks! Where's my acceptance? (Being optimistic!)

Patience is not a strong point of mine.

I just want to say I hate waiting. I was told at SPSP that I would hear about my app in a week or two by a POI (U of Arkansas)...and then last week he said they were making decisions at the end of that week. So, it's been two weeks! Where's my acceptance? (Being optimistic!)

Patience is not a strong point of mine.

I totally hear you! If it weren't for this site, I would be even more of a nervous wreck! Makes me wonder how I would have fared in the days of dial-up when I would be waiting 10 minutes to refresh the results page.

Needless to say, notifications from Penn State and Maryland becoming overdue if the timelines of past years are any guide.

To those that have applied to UNC and crossed it off their list, how did you hear that you were out? Or are you just assuming so?

UNC Chapel Hill - I emailed the POI to ask him my status. He told me due to state budget cuts, he was not granted a student, but had been interested in me. G-D DAMMIT!!!!!!!

Northwestern has posted rejections on their website. I already suspected this was the decision there but it's nice to finally have some closure.

Thanks for posting this... I like closure! :) lol. Honestly, I didn't even know if my POI was taking students. He said there was like a 20% chance.