First semester final paper freak outs!

AKJen

So I know I've had all semester to work on these papers, but I feel like I can't get anything done. I've read, I've thought, I've even tried to outline, but nothing of value seems to be on the horizon. Which is highly unfortunate because I've already turned in two papers.

Any tips for getting through the last three?

I'm pounding pots of coffee and attempting to motivate myself with a cupcake. I have 20pages due in 32 hours. I have an outline and some notes but I'm here instead of writing. I wish there was drinkable work ethic.

In terms of finding topics for papers, I find that aside from going to the instructor it's also useful to discuss class material with other members of the class. Some of my best ideas come from coffee-break discussions with friends.

In terms of getting motivated to do the work, I try to set *small* and realistic goals for myself that I can achieve in very small amounts of time. For example, write one paragraph, then take a break and surf the internet for 10 minutes. Or, read one section of a paper, or just do the references section. It helps to have a buddy system in place. If you tell a friend what you plan to do today (or better--in the next 30\60 minutes) it sets a goal and it makes it harder to make excuses later. It's like a mock form of accountability, but it works. Sitting with someone in a coffee shop, each with their own laptop, and having a work-like environment helps too. But mostly it's just breaking the work down to very small tasks that seem realistic and achievable. Time-wise it helps to break the day up to correspondingly small bits -- for me it's 15-20 minutes. On some days if I can get myself to do something even one 20-minute bit out of an hour+, that's more than I would otherwise do if I'm just sitting there having a not-so-great day.

Just handed in my first 2 (of 3) 20-page papers, and I've decided the worst part of first semester is not knowing how hard my professors grade. At least I learned a lot?

I feel the same way. Also I finished the last of my five (yes, five) final papers! I am free for three glorious weeks. I liked a grand total of two of the papers, but I figure that's okay since the three that I didn't like are passable and for classes outside of my subfield.

I just feel like each of the papers would have been about 80% better if I'd had just a few more days. But I'm really glad to be done.