funding

spin

Also, and I know this sounds bizarre, but you might consider if you ever want to actually teach at one of the schools you're looking at. In other words, let's say you're considering Berkeley and Stanford. If Stanford offers more money but ultimately you'd like a shot at teaching there, I'd pick Berkeley for your PhD (and vice versa). Schools tend to walk this tight-rope of wanting to inbreed but not TOO much. In other words, I've found most programs will not (or don't generally want to) hire their own graduates....

Re: Quarex

I think I know what was wrong with my applications. My transcripts didn't show almost all of my political science courses and my statement didn't stress how I was focused on such. I will end up graduating with an MA with 7 courses in Political Science which would be double the number of credits needed for the degree. But my transcript only showed 2 courses.

Others from my program have done the same. Failed once then after the transcript was complete they succeeded.

As for funding... well my situation is getting stranger by the day.

I had 4 offers that varied significantly:

top-10 public school in midwest, college town: TA-based, $15k/yr

top-10 public school in major city: TA-based, $20k/yr, yr 1, $16-17k/yr yrs 2-5

top-10 private school in college town: Fellowship, $27k/yrs 1&2, $25k yrs 3-5

top-15 private school in major city: Fellowship, $22k/yr

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder? Did you say 27k? That is insanely high, at least from what I have been told. Would you mind sharing the school? That is 10k more than my highest offer!

I have to ask. What school offered 27k?

There are 2 schools that (from my perspective) are known for generous funding. It's one of them.

I'm interested in a forum brainstorm, though, on the "extras" beyond fellowship/TA/RA that might arise and you'd want to have your eye on upfront. To me, that means summer activities and conference attendance.

What are productive summer activities? Has anyone heard anything about Michigan's ICPSR? [ http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/sumprog/ ] Are there other summer activities like this, or is it more productive to stay at your department and prep for quals or conduct research, etc?

Are there other professional expenses that anyone anticipates?