publications

cherubie

First and second author papers are what counts. Some folks have one or some have a few. This depends on the research (some projects are not time intensive and lend themselves to gobs of data that you can publish) and where they are publishing (The Journal of Really Specific Subfield That Needs Papers to Fill Out This Month's Issue vs a higher impact journal). Middle authorship papers do count, just not that much. Oh and review articles really don't mean much to us. You didn't do any substantial new work, just summarizing the existing literature and the gaps in the knowledge.

So (in your opinion) is middle author in Science/Nature or even second-tier (PNAS/JBC/Cell/etc) greater than first author in Obscure Specific Jounal?

Incidentally, I am applying this cycle with zero papers but posters at 4 national meetings.

So (in your opinion) is middle author in Science/Nature or even second-tier (PNAS/JBC/Cell/etc) greater than first author in Obscure Specific Jounal?

Incidentally, I am applying this cycle with zero papers but posters at 4 national meetings.

Too me its a toss up. A middle author might have just done one assay in a Science Paper, but that first author in the Field Specific Journal has typically handled those experiments from cradle to grave. I give a lot of credence to that. Its easy to pump out a single piece of data, but to come up with experiments, conduct them, analyze, and write them up. That's huge. I guess it would really depend on how much the middle author of the high impact publication did and how much and difficult was the work that the first author of lower impact journal article.

Not having papers won't kill you getting into grad school, but they do help. So do presenting and attending national meetings, so that's a nice feather in your cap. Wear it proudly.

Too me its a toss up. A middle author might have just done one assay in a Science Paper, but that first author in the Field Specific Journal has typically handled those experiments from cradle to grave. I give a lot of credence to that. Its easy to pump out a single piece of data, but to come up with experiments, conduct them, analyze, and write them up. That's huge. I guess it would really depend on how much the middle author of the high impact publication did and how much and difficult was the work that the first author of lower impact journal article.

Not having papers won't kill you getting into grad school, but they do help. So do presenting and attending national meetings, so that's a nice feather in your cap. Wear it proudly.

Thank you for your thoughts :)