Science Fiction

I'm curious to see who (if anyone) is out there with a background or interest in studying science fiction . . .

I'm applying to PhD programs with an SoP and writing sample that are focused very specifically on the genre (with a strong framework of postmodern theory) . . . I'm concerned, of course, that many programs won't take my work seriously. I made sure to apply to places where at least one or two faculty members listed SF in their bios, but I suspect I'm going to spend the next few months worrying that I should have emphasized my secondary interest (that would be Milton).

Is there anyone going through the same thing? Or anyone who has successfully applied after being very clear that their dissertation would be about SF?

I applied to UC Riverside, U Oregon, U Chicago, UIC, U Kentucky, U Miami, U Florida, and WashU (the only place that does not appear to have SF faculty).

Are there any other programs that welcome SF that I might have missed?

I have a strong interest in sci-fi as well and did some research. The conclusion I ultimately reached (after talking to a handful of graduate students) was that you can "do" a project on sci-fi just about anywhere. I talked to, for example, a friend of a friend who is currently attending U-Mass Amherst for his PhD and his dissertation focuses on zombies as representations of societal construct of the other; another friend-of-a-friend is working on post-apocalyptic literature at Binghamton. I think its partly how you want to frame your work and what you want to work on. I searched through the professors at each place I was interested in to see not only what their interests were, but what they've published. A number of them were interested in sci-fi and had published BUT the program wasn't necessarily sci-fi oriented.

Just to affirm one of your choices, Oregon has seemed pretty friendly to sci-fi. I'm not sure which professors are working and advising in the area, but I can think of at least three students off the top of my head who are working into scifi from varying directions. At least two women in my department are approaching different film/novel franchises in terms of fan culture and fanfic, and one of them was even on the panel of experienced grad students who shared their works in progress with the incoming class. It doesn't sound like that is your *exact* cup of tea, but I figure it shows that the atmosphere is pretty welcoming to supposedly non-traditional English research and dissertations.

In re: to liking both scifi and Milton, there is one faculty member who got hired as an Early Modern guy and is now really known for his work with comics. It seems flexible.

Edited by poco_puffs

Why are you concerned that programs won't take your work seriously? I agree with tinapickles who said it's how you frame your work. I think that if you can establish the grounds and needs and find faculty that you want to work with then you've gotten over the hump. If you aren't sure how seriously faculty will take your work, you may want to contact those that you are particularly interested in closely working with to find out what their preferences are and how well you'd fit with them. It is just as much about your work and your fit as it is theirs. Besides, if you are a strong writer, which I suspect you are, then have confidence.

UCR does have good faculty for this. And as for not being taken seriously, it seems like departments are more interested in people branching into new fields these days anyway.

You might want to look into UCI. I went to meet with faculty there recently, and while waiting for Jonathan Alexander to finish up with a student, I noticed a poster for "A Counter Darkly," -- some kind of Philip K. Dick-fest organized by Alexander himself. He seems like the sci-fi sort and is quite well-respected among cyber-literary-digi-weenies.

Thanks, I'm encouraged. Oregon is beautiful, I would love to live and study there.

Just to affirm one of your choices, Oregon has seemed pretty friendly to sci-fi. I'm not sure which professors are working and advising in the area, but I can think of at least three students off the top of my head who are working into scifi from varying directions. At least two women in my department are approaching different film/novel franchises in terms of fan culture and fanfic, and one of them was even on the panel of experienced grad students who shared their works in progress with the incoming class. It doesn't sound like that is your *exact* cup of tea, but I figure it shows that the atmosphere is pretty welcoming to supposedly non-traditional English research and dissertations.

In re: to liking both scifi and Milton, there is one faculty member who got hired as an Early Modern guy and is now really known for his work with comics. It seems flexible.

Thanks for the tip . . . I feel like I looked at every school in New York and came up with almost nothing. I'm from Florida . . . I wonder if the snow that far North would be the end of me? :)

On 12/25/2010 at 11:40 PM, skeletonkeys said:

I'm not sure about this, but I think the U of Rochester has quite a few people doing work with science fiction. Definitely check them out, if their deadline hasn't passed.

The cyber-literati are some of my favorite people!

UCR does have good faculty for this. And as for not being taken seriously, it seems like departments are more interested in people branching into new fields these days anyway.

You might want to look into UCI. I went to meet with faculty there recently, and while waiting for Jonathan Alexander to finish up with a student, I noticed a poster for "A Counter Darkly," -- some kind of Philip K. Dick-fest organized by Alexander himself. He seems like the sci-fi sort and is quite well-respected among cyber-literary-digi-weenies.

I think I'm concerned because there are so few universities that really acknowledge science fiction as a valuable area of research . . . it's never listed in the program descriptions (whereas many departments advertise their focus in areas like Early Modernism or Victorian Lit), and it's barely mentioned in most faculty bios . . . including the bios of professors that I know publish in the field, or who regularly teach courses in SF.

So, while I feel like what I'm doing is at least new, and perhaps interesting to some programs because it's unusual, I still worry. My thesis adviser always tells me I have to be twice as good because I work in SF . . . the challenge has made me a better writer, but as a result, I have some trouble gauging how my work will be received.

It's good to read all of these posts that believe the committees will be objective.

Why are you concerned that programs won't take your work seriously? I agree with tinapickles who said it's how you frame your work. I think that if you can establish the grounds and needs and find faculty that you want to work with then you've gotten over the hump. If you aren't sure how seriously faculty will take your work, you may want to contact those that you are particularly interested in closely working with to find out what their preferences are and how well you'd fit with them. It is just as much about your work and your fit as it is theirs. Besides, if you are a strong writer, which I suspect you are, then have confidence.

I think I'm concerned because there are so few universities that really acknowledge science fiction as a valuable area of research . . . it's never listed in the program descriptions (whereas many departments advertise their focus in areas like Early Modernism or Victorian Lit), and it's barely mentioned in most faculty bios . . . including the bios of professors that I know publish in the field, or who regularly teach courses in SF.

So, while I feel like what I'm doing is at least new, and perhaps interesting to some programs because it's unusual, I still worry. My thesis adviser always tells me I have to be twice as good because I work in SF . . . the challenge has made me a better writer, but as a result, I have some trouble gauging how my work will be received.

It's good to read all of these posts that believe the committees will be objective.

This is a result of the fact that fields in English are generally defined by time period instead of genre. You don't see many program descriptions list Gothic Literature or Biography as major fields of scholarly strength either. I don't think you need to worry about having your interests in Sci-Fi literature taken seriously. However, there has been A LOT of Sci-Fi literature written over the years (depending on how own chooses to define it, The Bible and The Gilgamesh Epic fall into this genre). It may be worth your while to narrow your interests by a time period as well as a genre. Basically, departments will take Sci-Fi lit seriously, but, if you tell them you want to do a PhD on Sci-Fi lit, and don't narrow your interests beyond that, they will probably not take you seriously because your scope is too broad.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious to see who (if anyone) is out there with a background or interest in studying science fiction . . .

I'm applying to PhD programs with an SoP and writing sample that are focused very specifically on the genre (with a strong framework of postmodern theory) . . . I'm concerned, of course, that many programs won't take my work seriously. I made sure to apply to places where at least one or two faculty members listed SF in their bios, but I suspect I'm going to spend the next few months worrying that I should have emphasized my secondary interest (that would be Milton).

If you get into UC Riverside, you'll dig it here. Rob Latham is very cool, and we have one of the largest Sci-Fi collections in the world.

That's good to hear - getting to work with someone who is both knowledgeable AND cool almost seems like too much to hope for.

If you get into UC Riverside, you'll dig it here. Rob Latham is very cool, and we have one of the largest Sci-Fi collections in the world.