Anthropology 2011

a fragrant plant

hmmm... then maybe it has changed.

but they would need to accept and/or have in mind more than four because some percentage of accepted students will not actually attend. my guess is they interview about 15, make initial offers to about eight, and have the others as backups. i doubt, however, that the interview has much standing on your admission.

just my guess.

I'm interviewing with Yale today too and am so nervous!!! Who is everyone interviewing there with? I am talking to P Sean Brotherton, Marcia Inhorn, and Cather Panter-Brick. From what I've heard though is that they interview about 20-25 people and accept only 4. :(

your initial posts actually helped me stay tuned until I saw medanthooo post. How do they get such info even before their interview? I personally didn't dare to ask such a question in my first interview. Actually my primary interviewer meant to help me get some insight into their department. They didn't ask much, instead, it was me asking more. As you said, how would it be possible to rely on interviews while they mean to help applicants ask more? I doubt if they would treat you like the intelligence service, so to say, they assess you based on what you ask; so weird! I think some program like HASTS has an important interview as it has been directly mentioned as part of the selection process but regarding other programs, including Yale, I doubt if they'd reject some of the interviewees, however, that is possible they'd put some of them in the waiting list. I hope that wouldn't apply to my own case!

hmmm... then maybe it has changed.

but they would need to accept and/or have in mind more than four because some percentage of accepted students will not actually attend. my guess is they interview about 15, make initial offers to about eight, and have the others as backups. i doubt, however, that the interview has much standing on your admission.

just my guess.

Hi Polanthro,

As I promised you earlier, I mean to tell you about my first interview at Yale. Actually, those who have not been invited for interview are in the reject pile. Interviews would be over until tomorrow, Sunday, and then the final decisions would be notified by end of February. Fingers crossed all of us would get into their program of choice. The interview was so cool, however, I should confess the propranolol thing helped me a lot. What else do you wanna know? I'm sorry if I conveyed the frustrating news to you! I'm sure you'll get into some other programs. I told my interviewer at Yale that I was rejected by Brown in their question why I didn't apply to Brown in spite of my compatibility with their department. She said that would be OK since last year they rejected a talented student who eventually made it into Brown.

I should admit that I'm still so stressed.

Don't be pessimist dude! if he said so, that's the way it works and I believe it's reliable. How many interviews do you still have? did he also tell you that they'd make the final notifications by the end of Feb?

One of the prof at Yale that I interviewed with said that....so I would hope it's reliable unless he was just trying to discourage me!

I have one more interview with Yale left, Yale is my first choice. One of the interviewers told me late Feb/early March would be when we would hear back.

I have an interview with WashU and was rejected from Emory. How about you? have you finished all your Yale interviews? Who did you interview with there?

On 2/5/2011 at 3:21 PM, persiandoc said:

Have you received other offers yet? Is Yale your first choice or what?

On 2/5/2011 at 3:29 PM, medanth000 said:

I have one more interview with Yale left, Yale is my first choice. One of the interviewers told me late Feb/early March would be when we would hear back.

I have an interview with WashU and was rejected from Emory. How about you? have you finished all your Yale interviews? Who did you interview with there?

i have an interview with Washington University in St. Louis (WashU) too. do you know how many people have interviews/if an interviews means you are in?

Thanks! Good luck with your last Yale interview!

Hello,

I have a question for those who had interviews with Yale faculty.

Could you please give some hints about the interview process? I mean, did they specifically ask you about your sop or sample work? Or did they ask questions like "what are your weaknesses and strenghts" , "whay do you want to have a ph.d" etc. I wonder what kind of questions they ask.

Thanks in advance!

I'm at UCSB right now (finishing undergrad) in the Anthropology Department. The Ev. Psych. program seems to be pretty awesome . . . heavy hitters in the field such as Steven Gaulin (fantastic professor), Cosmides and Tooby. Congratulations!

I just got an email from the graduate secretary at UCSB letting me know that the department has admitted me. Waiting now to hear officially from the Graduate Division, but they've invited me out for a "meet and greet" weekend at the end of February. It's really too bad that the UC system is hurting as bad as it is; my POI informed me during my interview that at this point it'd be unlikely that I would get any significant funding offer. Oh well, still excited that the first news this season is good news!

Now back to waiting on the remaining nine schools.

Someone in the results section posted that about 10 people get interviews at WashU (per subdiscipline i would assume). The website says that each subdiscipline brings in about 3-4 students per cohort (http://anthropology.artsci.wustl.edu/graduate/admissions). During my interview with WashU, I didn't get the impression that an interview guaranteed/implied admission at all. They seemed to be "admissions-oriented" questions about my project, qualifications, and fit with the department.

On 2/5/2011 at 4:26 PM, anthroandalaylo said:

i have an interview with WashU (St. Louis) too. do you know how many people have interviews/if an interviews means you are in?

Thanks! Good luck with your last Yale interview!

Hey medanthooo,

I also have one or two interviews left. My first interview was relaxing and cool. How was your first interview? To be honest with you, my first choice is Yale and then NYU. I strongly doubt if I get inot NYU. If I am admitted by Yale, I'd accept my offer as soon as possible. Let's see how it goes. I've not heard from any other schools except for Brown which came in as rejection., Let's keep our fingers crossed we could make it to Yale together! Haven't you applied to HASTS? I think I've been rejected from HASTS too because I haven't got any interviews yet. Feb days are flying away.

Cheers,

Hi Moraurora,

Just try to be as charming as possible. They would ask you questions about your SOP, background and some classic and modern anthropologists who have inspired you. You just need to mention some names with a one or two sentence explanation. Just be yourself because you are the best. Don't try to show you're well-read. Don't worry about the questions from your SOP coz you know much more than them about your SOP!

The main question is why you want to be at Yale. In my Case, the interviewer asked me why Yale would be my first choice while Berkeley, Brown, NYU, Irvine, and MIT seem to be equally a good fit for my project. Don't try to make up some huge reasons to convince them. If you also have some personal reasons that would work too. For instance, I told my interviewer that I didn't apply to West Coast at all because I wanted to be as close as possible to my partner who lives in North East, then my interviewer seemed to be convinced and told me that would be the most important factor.

Keep us updated once your do your interviews. Are you interviewing from Paris? I'm in Tehran and I think we are closest time-wise! Is Yale your first choice or what?

Hello,

I have a question for those who had interviews with Yale faculty.

Could you please give some hints about the interview process? I mean, did they specifically ask you about your sop or sample work? Or did they ask questions like "what are your weaknesses and strenghts" , "whay do you want to have a ph.d" etc. I wonder what kind of questions they ask.

Thanks in advance!

persiandoc,

i am in la réunion, which is EST + 9. I would imagine Tehran is similar time zone-wise, so just wondering what time you did your interview. I'm struggling a bit to find a good time that works between the two time zones. Probably evening here, though.

Hi Mattsika,

Did you get an interview from Yale too? I'm EST + 8 30. I did my yesterday interview at 8 PM my time. Today I will have the other interview at 7 PM my time. Maybe that is over analyzing to the level of OCD but I believe if you do your interview in the evening which would be their morning, that would be better for you because you'll have your entire day to review whatever you wanna tell them and just get more focused on your thoughts. I've not prepared anything in particular but I'm just more comfortable with the evening interviews. It's up to you though!

persiandoc,

i am in la réunion, which is EST + 9. I would imagine Tehran is similar time zone-wise, so just wondering what time you did your interview. I'm struggling a bit to find a good time that works between the two time zones. Probably evening here, though.

Hi pal,

I just had my second one and my interviewer confirmed that they'd taken up 25 applicants for interview. They're going to have the final meeting on Tuesday. I wish we could both get in. Fingers crossed you'd do good in the interview. What I really don't understand is how they're assessing based on the interview because they don't ask much. Don't you think so? Did they tell you they're gonna take up only 4 finalists? As I know, they took 6 last year. Yet, who cares, 4 and 6 are not that different. I'm so unnerved at the moment although my interview went well,

Hi Persiandoc!

The last of the 3 is in a couple hours. Good luck with yours!!!! I'm hoping we'll both get in!

Hello to the other two UC Davis admits who posted results - I can't believe how fast they're notifying us this year!

Has anyone heard anything from Stanford?

Hey Goneneative, I've also been admitted to UC Davis. Great department! I am afraid tough the UC system has hardly any funding available, especially not for international students. We shall see. Congratulations for getting inn.

Peace,

Siad

Hey Siad,

you got any news from NYU, Columbia, CUNY or UPenn yet? how many acceptances you got so far? did you get an interview from Yale?

Hey Goneneative, I've also been admitted to UC Davis. Great department! I am afraid tough the UC system has hardly any funding available, especially not for international students. We shall see. Congratulations for getting inn.

Peace,

Siad

Hey Siad,

you got any news from NYU, Columbia, CUNY or UPenn yet? how many acceptances you got so far? did you get an interview from Yale?

Hello Persiandoc,

congratulations for the Yale interviews. No, nothing from any of them. NYU came out with results last year end of February, CUNY is known to be slow and Columbia, the king of slow, only got back to people in March. I got the offer at Davis and interviews at Rutgers, and Duke this week. Got officially rejected from Brown, and I guess unofficially from Yale. Duke and NYU are my top choices. The game is still completely open.

May Fortuna be with all the anthros.