Is it possible that professors might mention bad things in a rec?

InquilineKea

Of course, you could first ask the question "can you write a strong rec for me?"

But sometimes, people still might write about things that might be somewhat negative. I'm neurotic and I've had a meltdown in HS before, and the results weren't pretty. When I was applying for summer programs, my teacher still said that he would recommend me the most out of ANY student he was teaching this year (which is a lot since he taught the entire HS and there was a USAMO qualifier in my class that year). But he still felt like he had to mention that I had a tendency to throw tantrums. Of course, that was back in HS.

I haven't thrown any tantrums in my department (thank god), but my past neuroticism has still led to some behavior that has definitely worried people. So I'm sort of concerned that professors might mention it. I'm trying to get better at controlling it, and I'm better at it than I was before. But I'm still a lot more visibly "weird" than most.

Edited by InquilineKea

As far as I know, you're not allowed to say bad things about people in references. However, that means your ref has to be really good, because the contrast is then stellar vs great vs good as opposed to good and bad. Fortunately for you, when it comes to personality issues, most schools don't consider that for academic programs and it wold only matter for professional degrees and some scholarships. One of the schools I applied for specifically said 'Please note we cannot accept references to personality and character.' (basically they should comment purely on your professional performance)

As far as I know, you're not allowed to say bad things about people in references.

Why would negative references not be allowed? There is a blog, Female Science Professor, that has discussed LoRs including whether to write a negative letter if asked for a letter by someone that the professor is not interested in recommending. The responsibility seems to be to let the recommendee know that the don't feel comfortable writing the letter or that they won't be able to write a strong letter but if asked anyway it is totally at their discretion what to write. I think I remember a story about a student asking, being told that the potential recommender didn't want to, then the student insisting and receiving a less than letter. I haven't read many LoRs myself, but my guess would be that most are fair and balanced mentioning the good and less than good qualities with an overall positive spin. I feel like a balanced letter would hold more weight than a letter that gushed about a student with no caveats-it would read as fiction.

They are allowed to. I've seen them do negative recs when I go talk to Profs sometimes they leave open recs they are stirring and they are not flattering in anyway. Luckily I got all great ones when I applied since they all felt the need to also email me a copy even though I had checked to not see it

Is it really so bad if a professor mentions something negative in their LOR? I mean, let's say your undergrad adviser has taught you in a couple of classes and is writing your letter. He/she, however, knows that you are shy and don't speak up as much as you should in class. Your adviser knows that in grad school classes are small and seminar style courses which require students to engage and discuss with each other and the professors. He/she mentions this in the letter as something that is a weakness for you.

Does this admission by your adviser help or hurt you? By acknowledging your weakness, I would argue that it helps you because now not only is the committee reviewing your application able to trust this letter as fully honest (I mean, come on, how many times have they gotten letters claiming the applicant is God-like and perfect? Believable...hardly!), but they can fairly evaluate you and see whether or not you and your personality will be a fit for the school you have applied to.

I'll add that I've seen several schools which specifically ask the Rec writers to comment on the emotional stability of the student they are writing about- usually as a separate question. One even went into quite some detail.

There is certainly no prohibition against writing a negative letter, or at least a letter with some negative points. It's their reputation as a recommender on the line, which will effect all future students they write for if they aren't honest. I've also heard Adcomms say that letters with no negative or contrasting points tend to come across as fake, and that they'd prefer an honest across the board appraisal of the student, both their strengths and weaknesses.