Expired online application for the University of California Irvine

hahahut

Hi all

Just found out my online application for the Univerisity of California Irvine has expired. They have a 90 days expiration date after starting the application. Unforunately, I only put down the deadline in my to-do list, which is 15th Jan. I planned to finalize my SOP and submit during xmas break. I haven't paid the application. So it won't cost me anything to start a new application. However, everything except SOP has been submitted. I guess my transcript and GRE score report should be fine as they are sent against my name. But my recommendations, which all have been submitted, might be logged against the expired application (as I can see all of them in the status check system for the expired application). I have sent emails to the graduate school and the department. Both are closed for holiday until 2nd/3rd Jan.

Does anyone know what they would do?

Thanks!

Hi all

Just found out my online application for the Univerisity of California Irvine has expired. They have a 90 days expiration date after starting the application. Unforunately, I only put down the deadline in my to-do list, which is 15th Jan. I planned to finalize my SOP and submit during xmas break. I haven't paid the application. So it won't cost me anything to start a new application. However, everything except SOP has been submitted. I guess my transcript and GRE score report should be fine as they are sent against my name. But my recommendations, which all have been submitted, might be logged against the expired application (as I can see all of them in the status check system for the expired application). I have sent emails to the graduate school and the department. Both are closed for holiday until 2nd/3rd Jan.

Does anyone know what they would do?

Thanks!

Well, I am just guessing here, but it might be impossible now to retrieve the letters your professors have submitted. May be I am wrong. It depends on what online app system the school is using. Perhaps the fact that it is expired means that everything you had uploaded was deleted from their system. The truth is - only this school can tell you what has happened with your recommendations.

If I were in the same situation, I would perhaps ask my professors to resubmit letters and not tell the school about the situation. But since you have already written an email to the program all you can do is wait for a reply. Or perhaps you can also call them to expedite the process.

Good luck!

Thanks, Strangefox! I started another application with everything ready there except LORs. So when they reopen in Jan, I can react quickly depending what the response is. The worst is to ask my recommendation writers to do this school again. But if they are still around, it shouldn't be too hard for them. I still can check that application status. So hopefully their system doesn't delete. Or at least I could link my new application with the old one.

Nothing can be done until they reply me. Meanwhile, if anyone has similar experience with UC Irvine, I would appreicate you sharing with me. Thanks!

My guess is that your application materials are not going to be lost just because the application has been frozen. I assume they do that because people may start applications and leave them unfinished all the time. If they can unfreeze your account then probably the best thing to do would be to complete the app that contains the LORs and not count on the school to link the two unfinished apps to each other. Better have one fully completed app than two unfinished ones. Otherwise, you seem on top of things and know what to do -- ask your writers to resubmit the letters to the new app as soon as the school gets back to you about your options. You should have plenty of time to get it all done. It's a bit of a hassle for your writers, but it shouldn't take them too long since the already submitted the letters once. It's entirely possible that they can still access their part of the old application and just copy-paste the content to the new app, even though you've been blocked. It really doesn't sound like anything has been deleted.

Thanks! I am lucky that both the department and the graduate school admission people have replied me even they are closed now. They will get the IT people to extend my expired application after the break. Fingers crossed nothing would go wrong with it.