Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans

Antonio

Hello All,

After scouring the internet for any information regarding the Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans, I've decided to start my own thread about it on Grad Cafe. Has anyone for this years' fellowship heard back yet? The application said mid-late December and I think we are in that period already. Also, can we get any advice from previous winners of the scholarship. Thanks all!

Antonio

I considered applying a few months ago, but after reading the bios of the past winners, felt like my experience was lacking... especially since I'm currently also applying to graduate school. If I don't win any of the other fellowships I applied to this year, I may apply next year. Hopefully, I'll gain some experience by then.

Good luck to you and hope you hear from them soon.

If it helps, I've already been rejected, so no news is probably good news for you. The letter said 1009 applicants this year for the 30 spots...I found one or two blogs online that talked about it, and people said they were called about interviews in late Dec (to be scheduled for late Jan), so probably this week. Good luck! Interviews sound in-depth and serious (interviewers are past winners).

Haven't yet heard back, but I'm going crazy waiting for any news (I blame the winter holidays and no work for my craziness). Will let you know when I hear anything!

Edit: imda, was your letter via email or snail mail? I've been away from my place for a few weeks, so I haven't been able to check my mail....

Edited by gradwoes

If it helps, I've already been rejected, so no news is probably good news for you. The letter said 1009 applicants this year for the 30 spots...I found one or two blogs online that talked about it, and people said they were called about interviews in late Dec (to be scheduled for late Jan), so probably this week. Good luck! Interviews sound in-depth and serious (interviewers are past winners).

Hey imda2001,

Thanks for your response and sorry about the rejection. I wouldn't let it discourage you though! I had to apply twice to Fulbright before I got the Fellowship. As for your info, could you also possibly post the web address to the blogs so as to be able to compile a list for future applicants.

Thanks

Antonio

hi guys,

thanks for this thread - i too had been searching the internet and wasn't able to find much. imda2001 - so sorry about your rejection. when did they notify you? have others also been rejected already? i haven't heard anything back yet either...

I got my response via normal mail, though I'm not sure when it actually arrived (currently living overseas, they mailed it to my permanent address in the states). I think less than a week ago...haha, I must have been really far below the cut if I'm one of the earlier ones to get rejected!

Anyways, like you guys said, info is scarce. These are the two best sources I found--a Med School specific forum (lots of med school winners in general), and a single blog entry:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=577719

http://chiangmaichic.blogspot.com/2008/02/soros.html

Hope this helps. As the sites say, practice practice practice if you get an interview. Good luck!

I got my response via normal mail, though I'm not sure when it actually arrived (currently living overseas, they mailed it to my permanent address in the states). I think less than a week ago...haha, I must have been really far below the cut if I'm one of the earlier ones to get rejected!

Anyways, like you guys said, info is scarce. These are the two best sources I found--a Med School specific forum (lots of med school winners in general), and a single blog entry:

http://forums.studen...ad.php?t=577719

http://chiangmaichic...8/02/soros.html

Hope this helps. As the sites say, practice practice practice if you get an interview. Good luck!

Imda,

What state does your family live in? I just ask because my family lives in New York and I am also abroad and I haven't received anything yet though I feel more nervous now than I did 2 days ago. Again, thanks for all the info, your the best!

Antonio

http://forums.studen...ad.php?t=577719

http://chiangmaichic...8/02/soros.html

Sorry to add on the questions, but did you list your permanent address as your mailing address? Just trying to figure out if I should have a friend of mine check my mail for me (overseas as well) - I know, I'm crazy. Thank you for your help!

@Antonio, my permanent address is in the southeast. Maybe NY'ers are being notified later, since they don't have to travel as far for interviews?

@gradwoes, I listed my current mailing address as my permanent address...mail has a habit of getting lost where I'm at (or taking months to arrive), so I didn't list my current overseas address on my application.

Gradwoes,

I wouldn't call them just yet, because it might be seen as poor form. Wait until January and then call since they told us mid-late December.

Hoping the best,

Antonio

I tried calling, but no one seems to be picking up. Then again, no one may be in the office due to the recent storm in New York and the slow cleanup process.

i received a phone call about two weeks ago that i had my interview in NYC at the end of january... i am trying to figure out how to best prepare for it, since they do not give much guidance when it comes to the interview.

thanks for the two blog links though!

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys, 

what did you write about in your essays? I was just recently told that the reason I was rejected is because I did not use "I" in my essays. I wrote about immigrant experience and how its linked to activities that contribute to the society. So, was I wrong? was I supposed to talk about my own experience???? PLEASE explain :(