LoR problem

Tex

So here's the problem: One of my LoR is still not in for a December 15th deadline. On the deadline, one of my recommenders encountered a problem when uploading his letter to the online system. He tried calling the phone number listed for technical support, but no answer. So he sent it by snail mail. He let me know about this, and I sent an email about it to both the department contact and the grad admissions office. I didn't receive a reply from the grad admissions office (surprise!), but the department contact informed me that anything sent to the admissions office would be copied and forwarded.

Two weeks later, the status check still says that the LoR isn't received. And last night I just received an email from the department contact. She was wondering where the third LoR is. I quickly replied, reminding of the situation and even pasting those past emails. I tried to write it in a nice way, because the department contact is a faculty member--and I'm assuming part of the adcom. I'm freaking out. If she's looking to see if applicants' materials are all in, does this mean the adcom is meeting--or going to soon? It's way too early right? That's what I thought, anyway.

So what do I do? I've called the admissions office today to see if the letter is in. I was told that it could take weeks for that letter to be attached to my application. I think I might email the recommender. I really don't want to bother him about it, especially this time of year. But I probably should, right? Do you think it's too much to ask him to try submitting it online again?

I don't want to botch this because this school is at the top of my list.

I wish I could offer you some advice because I'm in a similar situation (December 15 deadline, LOR still not in from snail mail...).

Fortunately, it seems most schools are accepting of late LOR's (this is what I keep hearing at least). I would briefly explain what happened and ask your letter writer to try submitting it online again.

Good luck!!

Edited by neuropsych76

2 weeks is (more than) enough time for the schools to receive the letters and match them to your application. you might want to consider the probability of the letters being lost. so, as someone told above, ask the letter writer to do so using electronic system - the LoR submission links are active and can be accessed even weeks after submission of your app and/or the deadline is over. most schools know that erratic and unpredictable things can happen during the application process, and will consider if some materials reach the admission office little late.

the LoR submission links are active and can be accessed even weeks after submission of your app and/or the deadline is over. most schools know that erratic and unpredictable things can happen during the application process, and will consider if some materials reach the admission office little late.

Is this true for ALL online application systems (Embark, Applyyourself, etc) or for certain programs?

Is this true for ALL online application systems (Embark, Applyyourself, etc) or for certain programs?

yes, for Applyyourself as I used it myself for few schools. also true for application systems designed by colleges themselves (3 of my 7 schools). and i think other application systems should also be flexible on this matter. because the schools dictate to these application systems to design personalized application systems, and because most schools are cool with allowing students to change LoR writers, getting LoRs late, etc, this should be a pretty common feature in all application systems.

Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I sent a nice, convincing email to my recommender last night. I haven't heard anything back from him yet. I'm not too surprised given the time of year. I hope he checks his email soon!