Also applying to recommender's lab?

squiddy

I will be applying to grad schools for ecology for fall 2012 and am trying to get some kind of a plan together before thesis work and classes consume all my time.

I worked on a couple of research projects with a professor (not at my undergrad university) this summer. It turned out great - we may get a publication or two out of this work in the next year. This professor will definitely be able to write me a strong LOR when I apply to grad schools next year.

At the same time, I am thinking of applying to his lab as a 'safe' choice - safe in that I know I can work well in his lab, with his grad students, and in the department, and I think he knows that too (he offered the same position to me for next summer, but I'm going to be tied up with thesis work at my own university). So I'd have a high chance of getting in and I know it would be a good fit, though I would also like to diversify my research experiences by looking elsewhere.

Would it be really weird/awkward to apply to his lab while also asking him to write me LORs to other programs?

I'm in this exact situation. I'm currently applying to 6 schools plus the school where I did a summer internship. It's a decent school, and I really loved working in that lab, but it's also not quite what I'm looking for (at this point; that might change). The prof I worked with is one of my LOR writers.

It's not at all awkward because they want you to go to the program that's best for you. This is the impression I get from my advisor: he would really love for me to join his lab, but at the same time, he wants me to have options and be able to choose the program that's the best fit for me.

So yeah, definitely apply to that program as well as others, and don't be afraid to ask him for letters. (Of course, don't apply to the program if you don't actually want to go there--but it sounds like it's a great option for you.)

Edited by katerific

I don't think it's strange at all. For me, I also applied to my LOR writer's lab -- we had a great time working together (still keeping in touch too), and my projects could turn into one or two potential publications. Just like katerific's prof, he also wanted me to choose the best for myself, and was very supportive throughout my application process. My two cents would be that you can look into other people at the same institute, there may be other labs you find interesting. In that sense, you are exposed to different environment (since no two labs are alike), and still join a department that you like in general.

It's definitely not weird for your current project advisor to write letters for you. However, from what I know about working in ecological fields, if you stay within that lab now you will need to go elsewhere for your PhD. Diversity in lab experience is crucial in ecology. Granted, it's not going to be your undergrad alma mater, but I really think as researchers we benefit from working with a variety of different advisors.

I am definitely aware of the importance of diversity in lab experience, which is why this lab will be more of a 'safe choice' rather than my top choice (which I'm still trying to figure out). I am also no longer working in that lab - it was a summer internship. I'm currently at a lab at my own university where I'll be doing thesis work.

Thanks for the input! The prof I worked with is a great advisor and I didn't think it would be an issue with him, but it's good to know that this isn't a strange thing in general.

Not strange at all! I think one of the most important things about a grad program is the "fit" aspect with the faculty and advisor(s), so if a lab that you already worked in "felt right," I actually think it'd be a prudent choice if it is good for your field of study. While it's obviously good to apply to a variety of places, this seems like a solid "safety" to me. Good luck with it!