GRE Verbal Score

AbnormallyLarge

So I'm applying to chemistry grad school, and my GRE scores suck. I have 470V, 780Q, 3.5A, and 750 Chemistry subject. I spent absolutely no time studying for the GRE. I'm just too busy. I didn't even look over practice questions. I'm applying to top schools like the University of Michigan and Penn State. Do you know if these places are going to look at my Verbal score or subject score and just throw my application in the trash?

Your GRE scores aren't that bad. I scored 430V, 780Q and 4.5AW and already have two offers. Although I do have impressive research experience and am working on my Masters degree.

So the bottom line is, if you have good research and nice LoRs to back you up, GRE is the least of your concern. Most science programs don't care about the GRE, let alone your verbal score.

Your GRE scores aren't that bad. I scored 430V, 780Q and 4.5AW and already have two offers. Although I do have impressive research experience and am working on my Masters degree.

So the bottom line is, if you have good research and nice LoRs to back you up, GRE is the least of your concern. Most science programs don't care about the GRE, let alone your verbal score.

What do you call impressive research? I'm working in a lab at my university in the same area as the university I'm applying too. It's in an area that I imagine isn't very accessible to undergraduates, especially in chemistry. I started in the summer and I'm still doing grunt work, but at least I know what's going on in the lab. My chemistry GPA is a 3.75 and I think my recommenders will write good things because they said they would. I bet working in one group is starting late is going to hurt me too.

Edited by AbnormallyLarge

What do you call impressive research? I'm working in a lab at my university in the same area as the university I'm applying too. It's in an area that I imagine isn't very accessible to undergraduates, especially in chemistry. I started in the summer and I'm still doing grunt work, but at least I know what's going on in the lab. My chemistry GPA is a 3.75 and I think my recommenders will write good things because they said they would. I bet working in one group is starting late is going to hurt me too.

Well, I have been working in labs for almost 3 years now. Couple of internships at big places, couple of papers out, conference visits, etc are what I have. Your GPA is certainly higher than mine, and that might be very helpful. I've been told a lot of research always looks impressive, and I personally think that the 2 early offers I got were because of my research history. If your LoR writers can write good things about you, and your research potential, I don't think it'll be that bad. Doesn't hurt to give it a try, right?