Terminal Master's to Canadian Ph.D program?

carlyhylton

I'm a Canadian second year student, currently researching Clinical Psych graduate programs

I recently learned from this forum that there are terminal Master's programs offered in the States- this is very rare in Canada as Canada's 'Ph.D' (usually called Master's/Ph.D) programs are more like an in track Master's program in the states... this is to say that a Master's degree is always a prereq to the Ph.D in Canada. So getting accepted to a Master's program is usually the same or just as competitive as getting into a Ph.D program in the states.

I have inferred that getting into a terminal Master's is less competitive, so I would be applying to these programs as a 'back up'

However, I'm wondering if, because of the structure of the Master's/Ph.D program in Canada if a terminal Master's program would be more transferable to a Canadian Ph.D program? Does anyone know if this is true/have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance ( :

I don't know much about how an American MA in clinical psychology would be viewed by Canadian PhD programs, but there is a reason why there are few terminal-MA's in clinical psychology here. In almost all provinces you are legally prohibited from calling yourself a "psychologist" unless you have a PhD in clinical psychology. The PhD's really dominate the professional organizations (e.g., CPA) and they want to keep the "brand" of psychologists to mean someone with a PhD, not a MA, MFT, MSW, etc.

I don't know much about how an American MA in clinical psychology would be viewed by Canadian PhD programs, but there is a reason why there are few terminal-MA's in clinical psychology here. In almost all provinces you are legally prohibited from calling yourself a "psychologist" unless you have a PhD in clinical psychology. The PhD's really dominate the professional organizations (e.g., CPA) and they want to keep the "brand" of psychologists to mean someone with a PhD, not a MA, MFT, MSW, etc.

Absolutely.

Final goal is definitely a Ph.D.