A Good Sign, or Grasping at Straws?

So I just received an e-mail from a school requesting that I submit an application for a TA position (and submit a second writing sample?! Like I have them lying around?!). Regardless of my intentions (did not apply as TA originally due to school being in-state and my limited teaching experience) does this serve as a good sign or am I reading too deeply into procedure? Or worse, is there just an adcomm who gets his kicks from making me scramble to submit a second writing sample in less than 36 hours (said needed it tomorrow by the end of the day).

Any thoughts, dearest grad cafe?

I can't say for sure, of course, but I've gotten emails like this in a previous cycle when I omitted something from my application. One program required everyone to submit a TA application even if they didn't intend to TA. Did the original application require 2 writing samples? Some do and if you didn't submit the second, you may be getting the reminder email. This probably comes from the grad school rather than the department. A lot of places require the grad school to verify apps are complete before submitting them to the department. Either way, good luck!

I can't say for sure, of course, but I've gotten emails like this in a previous cycle when I omitted something from my application. One program required everyone to submit a TA application even if they didn't intend to TA. Did the original application require 2 writing samples? Some do and if you didn't submit the second, you may be getting the reminder email. This probably comes from the grad school rather than the department. A lot of places require the grad school to verify apps are complete before submitting them to the department. Either way, good luck!

I still like my constructed narrative of "we MUST have him and give him a hefty stipend to TA. Get him to complete the app so we can offer ASAP." Thanks for the help.

So I just received an e-mail from a school requesting that I submit an application for a TA position (and submit a second writing sample?! Like I have them lying around?!). Regardless of my intentions (did not apply as TA originally due to school being in-state and my limited teaching experience) does this serve as a good sign or am I reading too deeply into procedure? Or worse, is there just an adcomm who gets his kicks from making me scramble to submit a second writing sample in less than 36 hours (said needed it tomorrow by the end of the day).

Any thoughts, dearest grad cafe?

I would say that this is an extremely good sign. I had a similar experience just about two weeks ago with an email asking for a second writing sample for an assistantship. I take it as only a good sign. I was able to whip up a second writing sample in no time from a previous paper I had revised significantly. I hope you hear good news from this program and that you were able to get in a second writing sample. :)