Is this an interview??

neuropsych76

I just received an email from a POI and he said he reviewed my application and was hoping I'm able to talk on the phone soon.

I'm freaking out, what does this mean? An informal phone interview?? Should I know all of his research by tomorrow?? ahhhhhhhhh

This is the first thing I've heard from anywhere so I'm happy about that it is something, but what is it!?

I just received an email from a POI and he said he reviewed my application and was hoping I'm able to talk on the phone soon.

I'm freaking out, what does this mean? An informal phone interview?? Should I know all of his research by tomorrow?? ahhhhhhhhh

This is the first thing I've heard from anywhere so I'm happy about that it is something, but what is it!?

I would suggest just being ready to talk about your own research, at least know what is going on in the POI's lab so if he asks what you are interested in you can articulate it , and have a few questions ready to ask about the lab/program/school/department. This sounds like an informal phone interview, but just remember to breathe and be confident and it should go well. Good luck!

Edited by juror#1

Neuro!!!!

Awesome!!!

Sounds like an interview to me. I'd read up on the most recent research. Hone in on those discussion sections and mentally riff off the ideas and implications for future research. Have a couple real serious questions.

When I interviewed in the fall I found the process conjured up more stress than was needed. I opened up every session by asking the professors if there was anything they'd like to know about me or ask me. Once I asked a couple pointed questions I found that most professors will just gab, gab and gab about their research. However, this can be dangerous. One, it is tempting to think, "I'll just let them talk." You do want to show you are "with them."

So happy for you!

Oh, and practice talking about your research. Be able to shrink wrap a lot of the nuances into a succinct message.

Edited by musicforfun

Definitely sounds like a potential interview. Make sure you review your SoP and the other stuff in you application so that you will be prepared for any questions he might ask. Also, be prepared with a couple questions you could ask him about his lab and research. All the best!

Congrats on the invite and all the best at the interview weekend. So the prof's call was an informal interview, then you have the interview weekend?

Congrats on the invite and all the best at the interview weekend. So the prof's call was an informal interview, then you have the interview weekend?

Yep, pretty short call. Only asked a few easy questions and was really laid back. I was stressing hours before reading all his recent publications for nothing :P

That's often how it goes. I spent hours preparing for an interview with one prof... He answered a few of my questions, and then we talked about baseball for 30 minutes.

Better over-prepared than under, though!

And congrats on the interview invite.

Edited by Eigen

Just to add, at least in Chemistry, the interview isn't just about you wanting to get into a school, but you actually trying to figure out if you even want to go there. Don't let the professor get away with just gabbing about everything under the sun, ask some real questions probing to see what type of PI they would be for you. It's 4+ years of your life, you deserve some answers.