Cognitive Psych 2011

cogscipixie

HI everyone! Wanted to know who was applying for cognitive psych/cognitive science programs for the next year?

I've applied for cognitive PhDs at the following schools:

Pitt

U of Kentucky

Ohio State

Kent State

Old Dominion

University of Illinois-Chicago

The rest of my programs fall under Learning Sciences/Human Factors since I'm interested in bridging theoretical to more applied research into developing learning technology, etc

Also has anyone heard back from OSU or Pitt yet?>

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cognitivelucy we have a bunch of the same schools! I will report my interviews/acceptances/rejections promptly to the results section, I hope you will do the same!

I'm applying to:

MIT

UPenn

WUSTL

Vanderbilt

University of Indiana, Bloomington

University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

University of Wisconsin, Madison

University of Texas, Austin

University of California, Merced (CogSci)

Stanford

I have an interview/'visit' at Merced but haven't heard anything from any of the other schools. I actually did some calling around inquiring about when interview weekends will be and many of the schools haven't even finalized the date yet! I know that I am constantly checking my email and the results section but its still early!

if it helps, my boss (a prof at Princeton) said the big interview day is in mid-Feb and they have been starting to call people for interviews, but since each prof is assigned a different bunch of apss and can call at their disposal, people will hear from them at different dates.

im seriously going through a nervous breakdown with Dartmouth T_T if only they answered their damn phone...

I can tell you all that I got an interview email from Kent State on Monday morning, but that is the only program I have heard from as of yet. I will keep updating when I start to hear back from more programs.

Also, interest-wise, is anyone else on this thread interested in doing text-processing and cognitive science in educational applications? I'm just curious to see if there might be any overlap between research areas and POIs.

I applied to:

ASU

CSU

K-State

Kent State

Ball State ( MS)

U Cincy

Washington State

I got an interview invite from Kent Monday morning ( So Excited) . I am very anxious to hear from my other schools...

Applied to Neuroscience (cognitive):

Applied to: UPitt, UArizona, UWashington, Brown-NIH, Oxford-NIH, Univ Col London-NIH, NYU, Boston Univ, Princeton

Heard back and interviewing with Pitt, Arizona, Washington, Brown, NYU

Haven't heard from NIH-Oxford/Uni Col London, Boston, Princeton (though Boston and NIH ones did not have their deadline until Jan 3rd).

I am starting to think that I was rejected to Princeton neuro program =( oh well.

Applied to Neuroscience (cognitive):

Applied to: UPitt, UArizona, UWashington, Brown-NIH, Oxford-NIH, Univ Col London-NIH, NYU, Boston Univ, Princeton

Heard back and interviewing with Pitt, Arizona, Washington, Brown, NYU

Haven't heard from NIH-Oxford/Uni Col London, Boston, Princeton (though Boston and NIH ones did not have their deadline until Jan 3rd).

I am starting to think that I was rejected to Princeton neuro program =( oh well.

Hey! Who and when did you get contacted by Pitt? I work there currently as a research associate in the same building as a lot of the cognitive faculty. I applied to work with Tim Nokes and/or Chris Schunn

Hey! Who and when did you get contacted by Pitt? I work there currently as a research associate in the same building as a lot of the cognitive faculty. I applied to work with Tim Nokes and/or Chris Schunn

Hey, I applied to the CNUP at Pitt (Center for Neurosciennce at Univ Pitt). Not to their psych dept. Their deadline was Dec 1st, I think, and Carl Olson (who, is directly affiliated with CMU but is also on pitt faculty) called me around Dec. 15th or something. I remember it was really quick.

Edited by NEUR0

Hey, I applied to the CNUP at Pitt (Center for Neurosciennce at Univ Pitt). Not to their psych dept. Their deadline was Dec 1st, I think, and Carl Olson (who, is directly affiliated with CMU but is also on pitt faculty) called me around Dec. 15th or something. I remember it was really quick.

Yeah, that seems about right. I know a lot of people in Julie Fiez's and Mark Wheeler's labs who have connections to the CNUP, but the purely cognitive people (like Chuck Perfetti <my current project PI/director of the LRDC>, Tim Nokes, Chris, Tessa Warren) are more or less linked to the PSLC and the Learning Research and Dev Center. If you have any questions at all about Pittsburgh, living here (I personally love it!), let me know.

Hey! Glad I found this thread! I applied to:

Stanford

Berkeley

MIT Brain and Cog Sci

Northwestern

UPenn

UCSD Cog Sci

UCLA

Harvard

Yale

I heard back from MIT, Northwestern, and UPenn about interviews. Excited but nervous!!

Good luck everyone! :)

Yay cognitive science/psychology programs. I'm mostly into computational modeling and psycholinguistics, so my list of schools is:

MIT - BCS

Cornell - Psychology

UC Davis - Psychology

Rochester - BCS

UIUC - Psychology

Indiana - Cognitive Science

Edinburgh - Informatics (MSc and PhD)

So far I've heard from Cornell and potentially UIUC, but I won't know for sure for a bit. I've already accepted that MIT won't be inviting me, but that's okay. Boston was just the only city in the US on my list. :(

Yay cognitive science/psychology programs. I'm mostly into computational modeling and psycholinguistics, so my list of schools is:

MIT - BCS

Cornell - Psychology

UC Davis - Psychology

Rochester - BCS

UIUC - Psychology

Indiana - Cognitive Science

Edinburgh - Informatics (MSc and PhD)

So far I've heard from Cornell and potentially UIUC, but I won't know for sure for a bit. I've already accepted that MIT won't be inviting me, but that's okay. Boston was just the only city in the US on my list. :(

Hi! One of my lab's post docs did work with Kara Federmeier (a psycholinguist) at UIUC. She's pretty cool! Good luck!

On 1/14/2011 at 1:20 AM, justinek said:

Hey! Glad I found this thread! I applied to:

Stanford

Berkeley

MIT Brain and Cog Sci

Northwestern

UPenn

UCSD Cog Sci

UCLA

Harvard

Yale

I heard back from MIT, Northwestern, and UPenn about interviews. Excited but nervous!!

Good luck everyone! :)

That's so good for you!

I've also applied to Cog Psych Ph. D programs to

MIT Brain and Cog Sci

Northwestern

Harvard

Yale

Uni of Texas-Austin

WUSTL

NYU

Columbia U

Stanford U

I haven't heard from any of them yet.....TTT oh well....TT

When did you hear from MIT and Northwestern about the interviews??

Did you contact some professors of your interest during the application process? I'm so nervous...

I'd love to hear back from you!

Yay for cognitive psych!

I applied to:

Berkeley

Oregon

UBC

Northwestern

UIUC

Michigan

WashU

NYU

Johns Hopkins

Yale

So far I have been invited for an interview at Berkeley, Oregon, Northwestern, Michigan and Johns Hopkins.

I just checked my online application for Yale, and it says it is "incomplete", even though all of the components listed below are listed as "received". In the excitement of the holidays I totally forgot to obsessively check on the applications.... Hmm.

Best of luck to everyone!!

Any word from Pitt or Ohio State? Both of those apps say "in review" for me. I figure that most of my January deadlines won't start to contact us until the end of the month. University of Illinois-Chicago contacted me for an interview yesterday if that helps anyone else.

Have you heard from Columbia or Stanford yet? I know they took a while to respond in previous years, but I'm just getting very antsy...

No, I haven't heard from them yet too.

I am very nervous too. Hopefully we will hear back from them soon.

Fingers crossed for us!

What other univeristies did you apply to??