Cognitive Psych 2011

cogscipixie

Ohh I'm so glad I found this! I applied some psych some neuro programs depending on the departments. So far I haven't heard back from anyone...although I know a few are out :(

NYU (neuro) no interview

Berkeley (neuro) no interview

UCLA (neuro)

Columbia (neuro)

UCSD (cog sci)

WashU (psych)

U Chicago (psych)

Yale (psych)

Anyone head from any of these? I heard Davis is making interview decisions this week....which is making me even more antsy. The suspense is killing me...and with two down I am starting to feel hopeless :(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be ok! I have a friend that is at UChicago (actually faculty/collaborator, Sian Beilock) and I'm sure that they haven't sent out stuff yet to interviewees.). I'm not sure about any of the other schools on your list, but I wouldn't give up yet. Most schools (esp if they were a later December or even January deadline) haven't even had adcom meetings. If it makes you feel better, most of my programs were Dec 15/Jan 1/Jan 15 deadlines. I probably won't hear back from some until end of January or early February.

I've heard from: MIT, UC Irvine, UC San Diego, Northwestern, NYU, and Stanford

Still waiting on Harvard...

I've heard back about interviews from MIT, Northwestern, Berkeley, UCSD, and Stanford, in that chronological order. omnia, I guess I'll see you at a lot of them! :)

Also waiting from Harvard, and Yale. Is it true that Yale doesn't invite students to visit until they're accepted?

Thanks! Good luck everyone!!!

I applied to the following cognitive psychology, experimental, and cognitive neuroscience programs:

1. University of Virginia
  2. Bowling Green State University
  3. University of Iowa*
  4. SUNY-Stony Brook
  5. University of Pittsburgh
  6. University of Alabama
  7. University of Colorado
  8. Washington University in St. Louis
  9. University of Greensboro
  10. Temple University
  11. University of South Florida
  12. Florida State University
  13. Mississippi State University

*I received an email from the University of Iowa on January 20th that explained that my application was of high interest and that they would also like to setup a phone or Skype interview. I am not sure if this is a pre-interview to determine if I am a worthy candidate for an official interview down the line or if it is "THE" interview. Either way, I am still very excited (and a little nervous) about the interest! Does anyone have any tips on the phone interviewing process (questions they will ask, questions I should ask, etc. etc.)?

Has anyone else heard back from any of the schools that I listed above? Out of sheer curiosity, who are some of the professors that you would like to work with and what are your research interests?

Hey! Who and when did you get contacted by Pitt? I work there currently as a research associate in the same building as a lot of the cognitive faculty. I applied to work with Tim Nokes and/or Chris Schunn

I applied to Pitt to work with the same faculty as you. Out of curiousity, what are your research interests and have you heard back from Pitt yet?

Hey Imwright, I'm interested more in pharmacology/behavioral neuro, but I looked through your list and I'm interviewing at Temple (Brain and Cognitive Sciences) next week. I also applied to Colorado at Boulder, but have yet to hear anything from them. Good luck!

Hey Imwright, I'm interested more in pharmacology/behavioral neuro, but I looked through your list and I'm interviewing at Temple (Brain and Cognitive Sciences) next week. I also applied to Colorado at Boulder, but have yet to hear anything from them. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Dac112! Congrats with the interview at Temple. I had (and still have!) hopes of an interview with them (fingers crossed!). I received an email from the program's director, Dr. Ingrid Olson, on December 17th stating that my application looked quite interesting, but it was missing my essay that discuss my research interests (which I submitted with the electronic application, so I am not sure how it didn't make it). Dr. Olsen and I emailed back and forth discussing why I choose to apply to a big school like Temple and she asked how I think I would fair in a large city like Philadelphia. I am from North Carolina and I attended the University of North Carolina at Charlotte in, of course, Charlotte so I basically said I felt that although my school is small compared to Temple and the city is medium sized compared to Philadelphia, that I was more interested in the education portion that is being offered than the location (although it is also a factor but not as much as the academics!). I haven't heard back since then.

Personally I would love to attend a school like Temple - advanced equipment and resources for all works of research. I applied to work with Dr. Weisberg and if accepted, my goal would be to work on various projects involving creativity, as that is his main research field. Furthermore, I would like to collaborate with the more neuroscience-inclined faculty members at Temple to research the neural substrates and pathways underlying creative thinking (an area with precious little data and research) as well as on learning and memory. But again, my fingers are crossed in hopes that my inbox will contain an email for a Temple interview. So far nothing, all I can do is knock on wood and wait :P

-Isaiah

Edited by imwright

I've heard from: MIT, UC Irvine, UC San Diego, Northwestern, NYU, and Stanford

Still waiting on Harvard...

I'm curious about your NYU POI as well if you don't mind. Judging from you list, we may have some overlap in interests :)

For what it's worth: I just received an email from my POI at Boulder (Cognitive).

... they may still be making decisions.

*I received an email from the University of Iowa on January 20th that explained that my application was of high interest and that they would also like to setup a phone or Skype interview. I am not sure if this is a pre-interview to determine if I am a worthy candidate for an official interview down the line or if it is "THE" interview. Either way, I am still very excited (and a little nervous) about the interest! Does anyone have any tips on the phone interviewing process (questions they will ask, questions I should ask, etc. etc.)?

Has anyone else heard back from any of the schools that I listed above? Out of sheer curiousity, who are some of the professors that you would like to work with and what are your research interests?

Did you apply to Iowa's Biosciences program? I applied to their biosciences (with a focus in cogneuro) and haven't heard anything. One part of their website says applications were due on Dec 15 and another place says Jan 15...

For what it's worth: I just received an email from my POI at Boulder (Cognitive).

I am still going to cross my fingers for both Temple and Boulder. Thank you for passing along the news and congrats!

Did you apply to Iowa's Biosciences program? I applied to their biosciences (with a focus in cogneuro) and haven't heard anything. One part of their website says applications were due on Dec 15 and another place says Jan 15...

I applied to Iowa University's Psychology PhD program with a focus in Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience (BCN). I was emailed by the faculty member who I had displayed interests in working with. Who were your faculty member(s) of interest in the Biosciences' cognitive neuroscience track? I believe there are heavy overlaps between the faculty within the psychology, biosciences, and neuroscience departments.

Hey, congrats on UC Boulder. I'm still hoping, but we shall see. Perhaps the behavioral neuroscience program has a different time frame for interviews... or not, but this is what I'll tell myself :) good luck.

Has anyone heard from Pitt's cognitive program yet? I think they've already set their interview weekend to Feb 11-12 so I think they would be cutting close if they didn't send out word this week.

I have been contacted by a professor at IU's Cog Sci program, but I applied to Cog Sci, not Psych. I think they're still in the process of figuring out interviews or acceptances. Not quite sure what they tend to do.

hi

so I'm assuming we should start to hear back from the schools?

has anyone hear back from Indiana Bloomington for Cognitive Science of Cognitive Psychology?

yes, I did hear back from Indiana's cognitive psych program. It sounds like they're in a kind of weird situation this year where there are few/maybe no TA/RA positions available in the division...so i think they're working through their list slowly to assess which candidates are basically considering Indiana their top choice (or high up). That wasn't the case for me...so they're not pursuing my application any further -- so good news may be coming, good luck!

Also donnyz89 - i saw your post on another board...did you apply to both IO and Cognitive programs? I was debating between the two and considered that option too...

and to kb24 - I have heard back about WUSTL's interview weekend...

also, have people heard from Harvard's Cognition, Brain & Behavior about interviews yet? I'm certainly not terribly optimistic about hearing from them haha, but hadn't heard any joyous Harvard news from others yet, so was wondering if they're potentially just being really slow this year?

hi

so I'm assuming we should start to hear back from the schools?

has anyone hear back from Indiana Bloomington for Cognitive Science of Cognitive Psychology?

I also heard back from Indiana's cognitive science (not psych) program. They want me to do a phone/skype interview and are also flying me down to campus for a three day visit with other prospective students in mid Feb. I hope the lack of TA/RA positions is just in the psych dept.! Their cog sci program looks pretty good, but I'd only go if I got full funding...

also, have people heard from Harvard's Cognition, Brain & Behavior about interviews yet? I'm certainly not terribly optimistic about hearing from them haha, but hadn't heard any joyous Harvard news from others yet, so was wondering if they're potentially just being really slow this year?

What sub-field did you apply to at Harvard? I know a few faculty invited people early for interviews, pre-application. Not sure if they do official interviews. Do you mind if I ask whom your POI is?