Phd. or Masters and hold out for better school

Scalia

I know that this is hypothetical, but what would you guys choose between improving my only real weakness (lack of research experience) with a paid masters degree and then applying to some really top notch schools or should I take the acceptance at a newly minted experimental PhD program at Idaho State? I have some faculty members that I could work with but it isn't really a dream school for me. Thoughts about holding out for a stronger program that might match research interests better.

If I were in your position, I would take a year off and get a full time research position so that I didn't have to pay for a masters program but still gained research experience. If you have -no- research experience I suppose you might not be able to get a research position, in which case a masters program that provides good research experience would be a good idea. I did not apply to any schools that I didn't really want to go to, because I personally do not want to spend 5-7 years of my life somewhere where it is not a good research match. Waiting one year would be beneficial in the long run.

This is a moot point for me because I'm in a Master's program, applying to PhD now (was going to take a year off, but my profs encouraged me to join the two year Master's program instead), but I would gain research experience and take methods coursework in a Master's program. I consider this an investment in my Ph.D. program. Aside from just spending 5-7 years somewhere you're not sure you want to be, you have to ask whether or not coming from that program will get you the kind of job you want. You can deal with 5-7 years somewhere you don't want to be. It's more difficult to deal with 30 years at a job you don't want.

Thanks for the replies. Although I'm interested in social, some of the research I'm interested in is being done in clinical, and I've been told by an advisor that a masters can be harmful for an applicant specifically in clinical programs. Does anybody know if this is true? Also, any advice on whether to pursue the field that you're generally interested in or to go into a field that happens to have some specific research interests even if i'm not interested in clinical in general?

Scalia -

Did you change fields of interest? I am a poli sci applicant and remembered you posting there. Don't take this as a criticism. My own interests overlap discipinary boundaries and am actually applying for two types of degrees, both of which relate to my regional interests.

Scalia -

Did you change fields of interest? I am a poli sci applicant and remembered you posting there. Don't take this as a criticism. My own interests overlap discipinary boundaries and am actually applying for two types of degrees, both of which relate to my regional interests.

I definitely did change the type of program I wanted to pursue but in a weird way they're related.

Edited by Scalia

I echo the advice that has already been posted. Since it is not your dream program and it's the first year of the PhD program-- I would not enroll. Personally, it's too much of a gamble. There are a lot of kinks to be worked out in any program in their first couple years. If I wasn't interested in the faculty of the program, it just won't be worth it to deal with those issues when they arise. I would either take some time off and work as a research ass't or enroll in the fully funded master's program (assuming that it is a program that you are interested in.) If you are not that interested in the master's program either, don't enroll. I have seen several people drop out of their master's programs because they weren't that vested in it. Unfortunately it left them with tuition remission that they had to repay and no degrees.:(

I think Master's credits may not always count towards your Ph.D for clinical, and so doing a Master's may get you experience, but may not shorten your time getting a Ph.D.

I would also second getting an RA job- research experience and a paycheck are a nice combination:)

Thanks for the replies. Although I'm interested in social, some of the research I'm interested in is being done in clinical, and I've been told by an advisor that a masters can be harmful for an applicant specifically in clinical programs. Does anybody know if this is true? Also, any advice on whether to pursue the field that you're generally interested in or to go into a field that happens to have some specific research interests even if i'm not interested in clinical in general?

Having a masters can be seen as harmful in top social programs as well. Generally speaking masters aren't considered research degrees, and thus, they don't really help you out in the application process. In other words, you don't get bonus points for having a masters. The only way a masters helps you in social is if you had bad grades in undergrad, but stellar in your masters program (so it helps make up for your mediocre undergrad GPA), you are now affiliated with another top university (for example, if you went to Berkeley for undergrad and then got a masters at Harvard, then you are now affiliated with two top schools, not just one), you somehow get additional research experience in your masters program, or you get great recommendations from profs in your masters program. But even the last three can be acquired by having a full-time (or even part-time) research job. My opinion is just one of many (and thus, take it with a grain of salt), but I've worked at labs at four top-10 social psych programs, and all of my advisers have told me not to go into a masters program, unless it's a statistical/methods based one. And even then, it may not help you much.

As for going into clinical or social, I would go for social, but apply to schools that also have a clinical program. Then you can collaborate with clinical people but still stay in the overall discipline that you are probably supposed to be in. Also, keep in mind that clinical is MUCH harder to get into. I mean all psych programs are hard, but clinical is the hardest with the lowest acceptance rates of all the major disciplines (i.e., cognitive, social, developmental, etc.).

Good luck!