Interview Weekend Conflict Advice

Sevi

I'm starting to hear from schools I've applied to about invitations to their campus for interviews. Needless to say, I'm very excited to hear that I've passed at least the first round of review and want to go to all the interviews to maximize my chances of getting in somewhere. However, the interview weekends for some of the schools are overlapping and I don't know what is the best way to handle the conflict.

I've already committed to going to one university's recruitment weekend at the end of January and another's in the beginning of February. Both of these schools are the lower tier schools I applied to. We'll call them Uni A and Uni B, respectively.

I recently received an invitation to interviews from one of my top choices (Uni C), but the first/primary recruitment weekend is the same as Uni A. They have an alternative weekend at the end of February but I'm worried that going to the second weekend would decrease my chances at getting accepted and/or make me look like I'm not serious about them. I could ask to change the weekend for Uni A's interview, but that would mean my first grad school interview would be at this top school that I desperately want to get into. Would it be better to take the second weekend option for Uni C and use Uni A and B as "interview practice"? Or will not attending the primary recruitment weekend at Uni C hurt my chances of being accepted?

I haven't heard anything from my other top choice (Uni D), but I looked up their interview weekends only to find that their two weekends are the same that I'll already be interviewing at Uni B and maybe Uni C. If I get an invitation to interviews at Uni D should I ask for a random weekend for me to interview although it won't be with other recruits or be an organized event? Or should I cancel my interview at Uni B since it's more like a safety school and I probably wouldn't go there anyway and do my top choice Uni D interview on that weekend?

I'm sorry if that was confusing! Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

I don't think you'd hurt your chances at all by going to Uni C's 2nd weekend. They did give options, precisely for this reason. And looking at A and B as practice is not a bad idea.

If you do get an offer by Uni D, you could ask if there is an option to come alone. However, if they already have recruitment weekends, I wouldn't count on it. Otherwise, go with your gut on which to visit, which is probably Uni D.

I am also facing an interview conflict! I never expected this to happen, since I applied to a limited number of programs, but I guess there ARE only so many available weekends.

I'm hoping that the latest program will be able to come up with an alternative date for me, since I already changed the date of the first interview (at their request), in order to be able to speak with a specific faculty member. From what I have heard, WHEN you interview shoul not affect your chances negatively. Good Luck and CONGRATS!!

I applied to only 2 programs, and they BOTH want to interview me on the same weekend. How like life. University A contacted me earliest. They have 3 interview weekends, and booked me for their second. Plane ticket purchased, everything. Three weeks later, University B contacts me, wants to interview me the same weekend. But of course, that is their only weekend. Fabulous.

I applied to only 2 programs, and they BOTH want to interview me on the same weekend. How like life. University A contacted me earliest. They have 3 interview weekends, and booked me for their second. Plane ticket purchased, everything. Three weeks later, University B contacts me, wants to interview me the same weekend. But of course, that is their only weekend. Fabulous.

Perhaps you could offer to pay the fee to change the ticket and go to one of the other dates for program A. I have a similar issue -- but I suspect that at this point, there won't be open slots for me to switch to (based on earlier communication with the first program).

Perhaps you could offer to pay the fee to change the ticket and go to one of the other dates for program A. I have a similar issue -- but I suspect that at this point, there won't be open slots for me to switch to (based on earlier communication with the first program).

That is a solution I had not thought of. The saving grace in my situation is that I currently work at and live near University B. I gave the names of the professors I would be interested in meeting with and said I would be able to interview at any time convenient to them (other than their interview weekend, of course, oiy). Program A is my first choice so I am happy to be on the books :)

I've just come to the conclusion that scheduling conflicts are inevitable. They should probably add a few more weekends in the month of February. I mean, add a Sat-Sun between every Tuesday and Wednesday. That seams like a good solution.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies! It's really easing the stress and worry! :)

I'll be going to Uni A at the end of January and Uni B at the beginning of February that I've already committed to, and attending Uni C's second interview weekend. You're all right- they have alternative dates for this very reason.

Also, like MoJingly, I live very close to Uni D so if they invite me for interviews I could ask to speak with them independently. Hell, I could realistically have an interview during lunch at work! :P

You're all the best! Good luck to everyone!!!