Top 10 movies

Roll Right

Alright, we're all waiting. List your top 10 movies to kill a small amount of time.

Here's mine:

1. Apocalypse Now

2. Seven

3. Aliens

4. Training Day

5. The 9th Gate

6.; Heat

7. Valhalla Rising

8. Dawn of the Dead

9. Step Brothers

10. Hellraiser: Hellseeker

Here's my list, filled with shameful guilty pleasures:

1 The pianist (The legend of 1900)

2 Amelie

3 La vita e bella (the Roberto Benigni one)

4 Love Actually

5 Big Fish

6 Good Will Hunting

7 Como agua para chocolate

8 Toy Story (the first one)

9 When Harry met Sally

10 Pride and Prejudice (the intense, 2005' version)

What can I say? I'm a girl. (and the waiting is killing me!!)

Hey ZoeWeber, there's a book out there called "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" which you might like. It's basically what the title suggests-the same story, but with zombies. The illustrations are pretty spectacular.

I can't imagine a zombie-Elizabeth! Crazy...but I will look for it .. thanks...

Roll- Right my waiting will become much more intense than what it already is if I start listening to metal. Then my parents will kicked me out of the house (where I live this is normal) and my boyfriend will stop returning my calls! I need to look for some relaxing beats instead and a yoga lesson... :)

I can't imagine a zombie-Elizabeth! Crazy...but I will look for it .. thanks...

Roll- Right my waiting will become much more intense than what it already is if I start listening to metal. Then my parents will kicked me out of the house (where I live this is normal) and my boyfriend will stop returning my calls! I need to look for some relaxing beats instead and a yoga lesson... :)

For some reason yoga is big at my school. Lots of other students are into it and I've never even bothered.

1) El Mar Adentro. I REALLY recommend this film. The dialogue is beautiful (it's in Spanish, but I've taken up to intermediate level and could understand a great deal of it,) the acting is phenomenal, and it's quite sociological!

2) Trainspotting

3) 24 Hour Party People

4) About a Boy

5) Love Actually

6) Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

7) Little Miss Sunshine

8) Mean Girls

That's only 8, but I can't think of any more right now, I'm too stressed!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure I'm going to botch this list, but I'd probably say my favorites are:

1. Field of Dreams

2. Cyrano De Bergerac (1990)

3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

4. Star Wars Original Trilogy

5. Fiddler on the Roof

6. Life is Beautiful

7. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

8. Seven Samurai

9. The Magnificent Seven

10. The Great Escape

Honorable Mentions: Jurassic Park, Casablanca, The Man Who Knew Too Little, and anything with Cary Grant

Edited by davolicious

in no particular order

blade runner

society of the spectacle

sociology is a martial art

the exterminating angel

the holy mountain

the gospel according to st. matthew

big trouble in little china

after hours

sans soleil

tropic of cancer (with a very young Rip Torn as henry miller)

omg fields&charts, I cannot believe you listed "sociology as a martial art." I haven't thought of that film in far too long. i watched it for a class back in 06.

i wish the movie dune was as good as the book. that would be my #1 movie if it were.

1. [spot saved for dune] cabin fever, a terrible movie, will hold its spot in the interim

2. most movies with Johnny Depp in it (clearly, i am a girl with defensible cinematographic priorities. although, he does tend to pick good scripts)

3. matrix (my soc. theory professor and I once had a cool conversation about how the matrix was "really" about commodity fetishism. i think it is equally if not moreso about god versus evil, which makes for an otherwise impossible parallel b/w marx & judeo-christianity).

4. shawshank redemption

5. orphan (the one about the adopted daughter from russia who is really a 35-year old killer w/ ugly teeth)

6. falling down (the one w/ michael douglas, when he goes bonkers in traffic then takes "road rage" and being an angry american to a whole new low)

7. robin williams: live at the met / george carlin: what am i doing in new jersey / denis leary: no cure for cancer

8. the game (at least grad school isn't as bad as what happens to michael douglas in this movie)

9. cinderella man (big-up working-class irish boxers, and cute romance stories)

10. regarding henry (just kidding)

Edited by suerte