It Has Begun

BadgerHopeful

Just a heads up for University of Toronto applicants -- one of my professors who is on the admissions committee says that they will make decisions by Thursday. Not sure if that means applicants would be notified this week or not though, but I'd imagine notifications follow soon after.

Just a heads up for University of Toronto applicants -- one of my professors who is on the admissions committee says that they will make decisions by Thursday. Not sure if that means applicants would be notified this week or not though, but I'd imagine notifications follow soon after.

I know they have already done one round for PhDs and the reply by date for that is March 25th- not sure about MAs though (what did you apply for, if I may ask). I was actually dropping something off at the office today and was told that the ad com was having a meeting- hopefully this means more decisions are on the way!

I know they have already done one round for PhDs and the reply by date for that is March 25th- not sure about MAs though (what did you apply for, if I may ask). I was actually dropping something off at the office today and was told that the ad com was having a meeting- hopefully this means more decisions are on the way!

I'm not applying this year. Just thought I'd share the info I heard!

@ModUSGirl - yes, PhD. Did you apply to the MA?

@Breakfast Are you speaking generally or about UMass-Amherst specifically? The letter I received from UMass said they pay $20,000 for out-of-state tuition.

PhD, right?

@ModUSGirl - yes, PhD. Did you apply to the MA?

@Breakfast Are you speaking generally or about UMass-Amherst specifically? The letter I received from UMass said they pay $20,000 for out-of-state tuition.

I was speaking about Amherst specifically, but it seems like you got a better offer from them than the people I know.

So I need some advise from people who are not financially interested in where I end up going....

... I'm finishing my MA at a second tier state school in a nonstandard field (I'm an environmental historian). A month ago I was accepted to Princeton, rejected by Brown and Yale. I withdrew most of my remaining applications (UC Davis, UW Madison, SUNY Stoney Brook) and decided I'd wait on what had been my dream program: Cornell's Science and Technology Studies program. I knew Cornell can't match the Princeton offer but I had really liked them.

My MA faculty think I'm a fool for even considering Cornell (decision or not), but they've never gotten a student into an Ivy and I'm pretty sure they're already planning on using me in their recruitment for future MA students. The longer the wait goes on the more I am getting emotionally invested in Princeton. It's a big deal for me. I have a community college degree, though I went to UNC for my undergrad and in my subfield my current department is decent.

The Results board just shows one rejection from Cornell's STS program from about a week ago.

Should I just go ahead and withdraw the Cornell application and accept Princeton? Am I being silly to wait on an offer I know at it's best will not be as good as the one I have in hand?

So I need some advise from people who are not financially interested in where I end up going....

... I'm finishing my MA at a second tier state school in a nonstandard field (I'm an environmental historian). A month ago I was accepted to Princeton, rejected by Brown and Yale. I withdrew most of my remaining applications (UC Davis, UW Madison, SUNY Stoney Brook) and decided I'd wait on what had been my dream program: Cornell's Science and Technology Studies program. I knew Cornell can't match the Princeton offer but I had really liked them.

My MA faculty think I'm a fool for even considering Cornell (decision or not), but they've never gotten a student into an Ivy and I'm pretty sure they're already planning on using me in their recruitment for future MA students. The longer the wait goes on the more I am getting emotionally invested in Princeton. It's a big deal for me. I have a community college degree, though I went to UNC for my undergrad and in my subfield my current department is decent.

The Results board just shows one rejection from Cornell's STS program from about a week ago.

Should I just go ahead and withdraw the Cornell application and accept Princeton? Am I being silly to wait on an offer I know at it's best will not be as good as the one I have in hand?

Congrats on your Princeton acceptance!

I don't think there's any reason to withdraw your Cornell application. Wait and see what happens. You have a great offer from Princeton in the bag. See what Cornell says. At the very least the decision will give you a chance to contact the people you are interested in at Cornell and thank them (either for an acceptance or for the decision), inform them of what you plan to do, and keep in touch in the future. If they accept you, you have a decision to make. If they don't, you know you're off to Princeton and can still communicate with the Cornell STS folks.

Three things:

1) I find it hilarious that in the section I bolded you (and/or you instructors at your MA school) forget that Cornell is an Ivy.

2) Make this decision for you, but don't attribute motivations to others who may actually have your best interests at heart. Unless they've done something overt to suggest that they're worried more about their reputation than your well being I wouldn't assume they're looking out for themselves.

3) Contact Cornell and ask what's going on before you withdraw your application. They may be close to making a decision (or may have already made one and are sorting out funding or whatever).

And in Princeton it's the regular History Program? That's an important factor: Do you want to be trained as a historian or do you want to be a social scientist specialized in Science and Technology?

They have great people for environmental history at both places anyway.

I would not withdraw the Cornell application in any case, unless you have really made up your mind already and want to free the potential spot for other candidates (I know, mixed feelings there).

Edited by modern

Three things:

1) I find it hilarious that in the section I bolded you (and/or you instructors at your MA school) forget that Cornell is an Ivy.

2) Make this decision for you, but don't attribute motivations to others who may actually have your best interests at heart. Unless they've done something overt to suggest that they're worried more about their reputation than your well being I wouldn't assume they're looking out for themselves.

3) Contact Cornell and ask what's going on before you withdraw your application. They may be close to making a decision (or may have already made one and are sorting out funding or whatever).

The idea that they aren't treating Cornell like an Ivy is hilarious to me too. Believe me, this has been a running thing for about five months on the subject of Cornell being an Ivy.

I'm not attributing motives. Several of the faculty have said them outright. I was beyond annoyed in the middle of working very hard on my masters thesis to be told that it was proforma because it was now in the department's best interest to graduate me. You don't even want to get me started about how I think they've done badly by members of my cohort who have gotten into great schools but are being overshadowed by this.

The difference really is do I want to be a historian or a historian/sociologist. My work speaks to both paths but would be very different. I was honestly very surprised by the Princeton acceptance as it was a reach school in my application pile. Until the letter came I honestly hadn't even thought about what it would be like to live there. Do I think I'd take a Cornell offer over the Princeton offer... I don't think so but I would give it consideration. I just feel very strongly about not taking up spots at places I know I'm not going when so many other people are sitting on waiting lists.

And in Princeton it's the regular History Program? That's an important factor: Do you want to be trained as a historian or do you want to be a social scientist specialized in Science and Technology?

They have great people for environmental history at both places anyway.

I would not withdraw the Cornell application in any case, unless you have really made up your mind already and want to free the potential spot for other candidates (I know, mixed feelings there).

The Princeton acceptance is to the straight history program. The Cornell application was as a historian wishing to do work informed by social science. I've basically already given enough identifying data for anyone who knows me so I'll give a small description. I'm a military environmental historian working on the peace time and post conflict environmental history of the United States Army. I came out of my undergrad with a background in both history and a natural science and so being an odd duck with a foot in two fields is not new to me. But it's also not something i would really recommend.

just wait for cornell. you've already withdrawn your application from a bunch of schools, which i think is going above and beyond in terms of freeing up spots for people potentially on waitlists.

just. wait.

you don't need to decide until april 15. and since you're only considering 2 schools, feel free to wait until april 15.

just wait for cornell. you've already withdrawn your application from a bunch of schools, which i think is going above and beyond in terms of freeing up spots for people potentially on waitlists.

just. wait.

you don't need to decide until april 15. and since you're only considering 2 schools, feel free to wait until april 15.

Thanks for the advise. I think i'm just being driven a little mad by the Cornell thing. Last year's results boards for that department show them sending out decisions as late as March 31 and it's a program that's only taking 5 people this year. In theory the department is about half social sciences and half historians but the historians haven't gotten a student in three years.

Well, a little funny admissions story: So I got offered a spot on NYU's wait list awhile ago, and I wrote back expressing interest. Today I get a generic rejection letter from a different administrator. I emailed the professor/administrator who sent the original wait list offer to see what's up, but it does seem a little odd. Has anyone had something like this happen before? I know NYU is a big school and all, but.....

Transnational, it could be that NYU isn't seeing any movement in the waitlist and have decided to close. Remember, rumor had it that they tend to underyield. But it's worth checking in to make sure it's not some mistake.

i have still yet to hear from columbia. what in the world? why aren't they sending me a rejection?!?

Me neither! I even sent an email to the graduate coordinator about a week ago, and still no response.

Meh.

Just received a rejection from Indiana. Standard form letter. So, good luck to everyone else!

So here's where I stand -

Acceptances: 4

Rejections: 6

Still Waiting: 2

Guess that means it's coming for me soon too.

and now I've just been waitlisted at University of Maryland...1 more to go and this whole thing is over and I can make a decision.

Did UMD email???

I still haven't gotten my Indiana email, although my mail server is prob fried from repeatedly hitting refresh.