AW = 6.0, but does it matter?

TDT

Hello, all --

Last month, I applied to PhD programs in English lit at several Ivy League institutions. My GRE scores were Verbal 660, Quantitative 630, and Analytic Writing 6.0. After reading through the forums for a bit today, I gather that a 6.0 on the Analytic Writing section is rare. What I'm really wondering, however, is if it even matters? Will my good-but-not-great scores on Verbal and Quantitative just get my application chucked out before anyone even thinks of glancing at the Analytic Writing score?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but everyone is posting here with "what are my chances threads" in the midst of a time where most of us who have applied are waiting to see if our applications were good enough to garner interviews, let alone acceptances. In 30-45 days we'll know what was good enough to get in where. Until that time everyone is in the same boat and simply does not know.

Remember the GRE is not very important for most places, and I'm guessing that for Ivy League schools they'd be even less important, once you meet some minimum cut off, which I'd imagine that your scores would.

Remember the GRE is not very important for most places, and I'm guessing that for Ivy League schools they'd be even less important, once you meet some minimum cut off, which I'd imagine that your scores would.

I cannot agree more with what newms just said. It is about the 'fit' now more than anything else. And if the legendary cut offs exist, you are probably fine.