GRE Scores on Job Resume?

i/o hopeful

As I'm waiting to hear back from programs, I'm getting increasingly paranoid I won't get in anywhere, so am thinking about working on a resume to apply for analyst positions (like in consulting/ market research firms) this spring just in case all else fails. Do you think it's appropriate to include my GRE scores on the resume, or would that be weird? I want to include them because I have really high scores, so it could show potential employers I have good quantitative skills and am "smart". However, I feel like normally business resumes don't include stats like that, so wanted to see if anyone had opinions/experiences one way or the other.

Thoughts?

I think it would be weird, I don't think I've ever seen GRE scores on a resume before (I don't even think most grad applicants would put their GRE on their resume, so I'd imagine it'd be even weirder for a non-academic position). If you have your degree already you could put that on there with any honors you've received. If you haven't finished school yet I think you could put some relevant courses you've done along with their grades.

If they want your GRE scores - and I have seen a couple of companies, British-based companies, that want test scores - they'll ask for them. Otherwise, it does look weird (I am basing this on nearly four years of industry work) - a lot of people don't even put their GPAs, let alone their test scores.

Honestly, the fact that you can do well on a standardized test is not likely to impress the people looking at your resume. They want to see relevant and/or transferable skills, and preferably relevant past experience. Your quantitative skills will look more impressive if your resume and cover letters discuss how you've applied them.

Honestly, the fact that you can do well on a standardized test is not likely to impress the people looking at your resume. They want to see relevant and/or transferable skills, and preferably relevant past experience.

Definitely agree with that! The people who hire you generally don't care that you got an "A" in XYZ course, they want to know if you can communicate well, solve problems, meet deadlines, and apply your learning (whether that is technical skills or more general liberal arts skills) to the job at hand. The only exception that I can think of is some federal govt jobs that require you to have a certain GPA to apply for the position.

I personally find GPAs on people's resumes to be odd, but I understand that people like to tell recent graduates to do this. If I saw GRE scores on a resume, I would be taken back. At best, it would come across as misguided. At worst, it would come across as pretentious and I would be concerned that this candidate wouldn't fit into the office culture.

Since you are applying to analyst positions that focus on quantitative skills, I would suggest to list the statistical software packages that you can use (SPSS, SAS, HLM, Mplus, AMOS, etc), relevant course work and workshops (think upper level statistics and research methods courses here), and explain a specific research project that utilized your quantitative skills in your cover letter.

Good luck!

The only reason to take the GRE is for grad school. As an employer, I would be concerned seeing those scores. It would mean you're likely a short-term prospect as an employee.

The only time I've ever seen a reference to grades on a resume is graduating with honors.