SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Does anyone have any information or know anyone in FSU's distance program? Any opinions, good or bad, of the program are appreciated.

I know absolutely nothing about the program but there was a discussion about it last year here:

http://speechpathology.livejournal.com/432683.html#comments

Looks like some not-so-great feedback, particularly for the distance program, reviews are more mixed for the regular program. Obviously that's just a few people's opinions though.

Not to talk on about this endlessly, since we'll be finding out in a month anyway, but when I talked to Rush today they said this year's pool of applicants was the 'biggest and brightest' and the remaining pool of applicants is 'around 1/3'.

well....at least I won't get my rejection letter from Rush until after the 22nd, the deadline for supplemental forms haha

I would agree with you on that, those of us who didn't get invitations are probably the back-up back-up waitlist, and they leave us hanging just in case by some crazy turn of events none of the top applicants accept their offer. Anyway, I'm glad to know about the open house invitation because now I'm already prepared for a rejection, and can focus on how excited I would be to go to Vanderbilt or Boulder :)

Oceania is right, of course, that Northwestern isn't the end all be all, but as someone who may very well go on to do a PhD in the field, Northwestern provides great research opportunities in exactly the area I'm interested in. Despite all that, at this point I'm way more excited about my other schools.

Well said. Northwestern is certainly a good school. Are NU grads more valuable than Rush grads (or anywhere else)? Absolutely not. Most (not all) NU people have haughty attitudes and many feel that they will not be made a part of that negative atmosphere. Plus, paying a premium for that label is, again, laughable.

Let me also point out that, as it stands, this field is currently more competitive to get one's foot in the door at than it is for medical school, which I believe someone already alluded to above. I have heard this not just from other students, but professors on the adcoms. There are simply not enough programs to take in all the good students that apply to them (and the majority--though most definitely not all--of applicants are good candidates for graduate-level study). It bothers me when students assume that a program is cutting back on the numbers of admits "just because." That shows a lack of appreciation for what a challenge it is to not only accept *THE* best and most APPROPRIATE incoming students, but to MAINTAIN them for the duration of the program.

Do keep in mind this challenge that adcoms take on and know that they generally put a great deal of thought into who they accept and who they turn away. It's usually for a good reason that you were not admitted the first time around.

If you have even one acceptance letter--congratulations. You've made it past a big hurdle.

This is pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if Northwestern's spike in applications was more dramatic than at other schools. This is the first year that they have combined the MA-SLP and MA-LD programs into a single M.A. in Speech, Language, and Learning, so I wonder if this year's applicants draw on a pool that used to go to two programs. Rush also does not offer teacher certification and does not accept applicants with no prerequisites, so they could be attracting more specialized applicants who have been preparing for a while.

Again, it's pure speculation, but I hope it's encouraging to those interviewing at Rush... For family reasons, NU is is my top choice, but I really just want to get in somewhere, anywhere! Good luck to everyone!

No. You can become a school-certified SLP at Rush (though not an actual "teacher") and there is a good handful of people there right now who were post-baccalaureate students. If anything, those students are more valuable because they're unique and not-the-norm.

Let me also point out that, as it stands, this field is currently more competitive to get one's foot in the door at than it is for medical school, which I believe someone already alluded to above. I have heard this not just from other students, but professors on the adcoms. There are simply not enough programs to take in all the good students that apply to them (and the majority--though most definitely not all--of applicants are good candidates for graduate-level study). It bothers me when students assume that a program is cutting back on the numbers of admits "just because." That shows a lack of appreciation for what a challenge it is to not only accept *THE* best and most APPROPRIATE incoming students, but to MAINTAIN them for the duration of the program.

Do keep in mind this challenge that adcoms take on and know that they generally put a great deal of thought into who they accept and who they turn away. It's usually for a good reason that you were not admitted the first time around.

If you have even one acceptance letter--congratulations. You've made it past a big hurdle.

I agree. I actually weeded out a few programs I was originally interested in because I felt like their class size was too big and I was worried about the level of attention I'd receive there. I'm looking forward to working with a small group of extremely qualified individuals who will push me to be better :) I'm sure it's very had for adcoms to decide when there are so many of us to choose from. Oceania, are you in a program currently or applying?

No. You can become a school-certified SLP at Rush (though not an actual "teacher") and there is a good handful of people there right now who were post-baccalaureate students. If anything, those students are more valuable because they're unique and not-the-norm.

But post-bacc students DO have the pre-reqs. I think the poster you were responding to was talking about out-of-field applicants who do not have a post-bacc in SLP.

So last year at right around this time people started getting interview invitations to NYU. Waiting to hear from them has me so stressed out. I really just want to get in somewhere!

Gah, this is why I don't know why I obsess over the results board. I went back and found when all of my schools responded in past years too, thinking it would make me feel better knowing when to expect something. I think it just makes me even more anxious and stressed!

I hope you hear something soon!

So last year at right around this time people started getting interview invitations to NYU. Waiting to hear from them has me so stressed out. I really just want to get in somewhere!

Are you sure that NYU has interviews? I've been waiting to hear something from them, too. I'd LOVE an interview because I feel so much more confident selling myself in person than on paper.

I agree. I actually weeded out a few programs I was originally interested in because I felt like their class size was too big and I was worried about the level of attention I'd receive there. I'm looking forward to working with a small group of extremely qualified individuals who will push me to be better :) I'm sure it's very had for adcoms to decide when there are so many of us to choose from. Oceania, are you in a program currently or applying?

But post-bacc students DO have the pre-reqs. I think the poster you were responding to was talking about out-of-field applicants who do not have a post-bacc in SLP.

I am currently in a program!

And, you're right, post-baccs do have the pre-reqs. You can also be certified to work in a school at Rush. I would still say that out-ouf-fielders who do have the pre-reqs are most welcomed into programs.

I am currently in a program!

And, you're right, post-baccs do have the pre-reqs. You can also be certified to work in a school at Rush. I would still say that out-ouf-fielders who do have the pre-reqs are most welcomed into programs.

Congrats on getting in. Any advice for all of about to (hopefully) start in the fall?

I agree about post-baccs being welcomed, if not sought after by programs. I know Boulder (where I did my undergrad) was that way, and Vanderbilt expressed the same point of view when I visited there. I'm technically not an out-of-field applicant, but I did triple major so I'm hoping that will provide the diverse background adcoms are looking for.

Edited by SLP-Allie

I got an email today asking me to schedule an interview at Tennessee! So far everything I've heard is good news (except this "400 applicants" business :unsure:). Did anyone else hear from them? It's kind of weird that I got an email on a Sunday, and no one else has mentioned it on the results page...

Are you sure that NYU has interviews? I've been waiting to hear something from them, too. I'd LOVE an interview because I feel so much more confident selling myself in person than on paper.

Yes I am sure they interviewed the last couple of years. From what I hear it is a very informal interview but it does provide the opportunity to meet them in person!