SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I got into NYU! I was in the car with my boyfriend and randomly checked my email on my phone. Like some of you, I was expecting an interview process, so the first words out of my mouth were "Wait, what?"

This is phenomenal - it's a bit pricey and only my first acceptance, but it means the world to know that I AM GOING TO BE AN SLP for sure!!! This will help me be less nervous for my Tennessee interview.

lizmeyers, my status did not change on the web site. It still just says my application is submitted.

Hey, congrats!! I was just wondering when did you submit your app for NYU early or closer to the deadline?

Thanks for responding and congrats to you!

Another question to the people who got into NYU: did you apply to the two year program or the re-entry program? I applied to the re-entry program and am just curious. Thanks! Sorry for all the questions. I just recently found out I have to be in NYC for another year as my husband got a clerkship there. Now I may not be able to go to grad school if I don't get into NYU (I'm kind of counting on not getting into Columbia).

Hey, congrats!! I was just wondering when did you submit your app for NYU early or closer to the deadline?

I applied to the two year program, so the re-entry program may have a different timeline. And I submitted my application on 12/22/11, according to the web site, so take from that what you will (the deadline was January 6, I think).

Did anyone here happen to attend the interview sessions at Pacific this past weekend? Im interested to hear what everyone's impressions of the program were. I live in the Portland area, and am completing my post-bac work at Portland State, but ultimately ended up not applying to the Pacific program since this is the first year they have offered both the AuD and MA SLP curriculum and I'm worried that there will be too many 'first year kinks' to sort out that will affect the quality of the education. In talking to a friend who attended, it sounds like they plan on doing all required clincial practicum off-site, which sounds like a good way to gain lots of real-world expereince, but also seems like it would ultimately reduce the amount of one-on-one time between faculty and students. Their facilities are really nice though, and they have a reputation for offering solid medical professional training, so I hope everyone who ended up going had a positive experience!

Also good luck to everyone who applied to the Portland State program. I heard they also received over 350 applications this year.

I've got an interview at Pacific on Friday - I will report back on how it goes! I've got my reservations about a new program, but they do seem to have their stuff together and I'll get to do some more examining at the visit. I don't know how many people applied, but they invited 120 to interview for 30-40 or so spaces. I still don't like those odds, but I do imagine it isn't everyone's top choice, especially as a new program, so they'll probably accept more than that.

I also applied to PDX state - Thanks for the info! It was mostly on a lark, and because I already was shelling out for other CSDCAS schools anyway. Their out of state tuition is brutal, even more expensive than Pacific, though so even if I were to get in, I probably wouldn't be able to. Out of curiosity, why didn't you apply there?

I got into NYU! I was in the car with my boyfriend and randomly checked my email on my phone. Like some of you, I was expecting an interview process, so the first words out of my mouth were "Wait, what?"

This is phenomenal - it's a bit pricey and only my first acceptance, but it means the world to know that I AM GOING TO BE AN SLP for sure!!! This will help me be less nervous for my Tennessee interview.

lizmeyers, my status did not change on the web site. It still just says my application is submitted.

congratulations! that's great news.. i'm just keeping my fingers crossed for one acceptance. good luck for the tennessee interview!

Wait listed at NYU. To those who were admitted were you given a date you need to accept the offer by? Just wondering because my e-mail said I will not be notified until the initial offers are accepted or denied.

Just received my first rejection via email...

that sucks.. but stay positive, you guys. it's not over yet. we're all going to get through this.. :)

Edited by trina

I have to let them know by April 15. Their FAFSA deadline has passed already (February 1...isn't that ridiculously early? That's the deadline for new graduate students in Steinhardt...lucky us :( ), so this put a damper on my good news. I'm definitely going to wait it out. My apologies to those on the wait list.

that sucks.. but stay positive, you guys. it's not over yet. we're all going to get through this.. :)

Thank you!! It was my first one do it stings! Can't say I'm not even more worried now but it wasn't my top choice, so only time will tell!

It seems like a ton of responses went out from schools today! It almost makes me wish I had applied to some of those schools, just so I'd be hearing SOMETHING right now :P

It also seems like every school out there has 400+ applications this year. I wonder what that means for the decision process. I don't know how they could possibly thoroughly go through all of those applications. I just hope it doesn't mean schools start relying on numbers alone, as I feel like my experience and skills make me a much stronger candidate than my GPA and GRE scores show :/ I wish I could sit in on an adcom and get an insiders view of the process, because as an outsider, it seems like a crapshoot...

It also seems like every school out there has 400+ applications this year. I wonder what that means for the decision process. I don't know how they could possibly thoroughly go through all of those applications. I just hope it doesn't mean schools start relying on numbers alone, as I feel like my experience and skills make me a much stronger candidate than my GPA and GRE scores show :/ I wish I could sit in on an adcom and get an insiders view of the process, because as an outsider, it seems like a crapshoot...

"Stronger"? Girl, you've got killer stats and are already 2 for 0 on acceptances! Stop making the rest of us look bad :P ! :D

I submitted mine Jan 25th, I'm so nervous it is my top choice, I applied to the MEDSLP Program!! I went and visited the school in early January and loved it. By the way, did you get an email from the about a survey of your application process experience?? I did and my stomach dropped only to open it up and find out it was a survey!!!

Haha the thought ran through my mind - but only for a split second. I knew it'd have been waaaaay too soon for acceptances/rejections!

I applied for the med track as well. Can't wait for next week!!

Haha the thought ran through my mind - but only for a split second. I knew it'd have been waaaaay too soon for acceptances/rejections!

I applied for the med track as well. Can't wait for next week!!

After receiving my first rejection, I'm panicked about hearing from other schools, I need some good news lol.

After receiving my first rejection, I'm panicked about hearing from other schools, I need some good news lol.

I'm sure you'll hear soon, don't panic yet! We're all bound to get at least one rejection, its just too competitive this year not to. it'll just make your first acceptance feel that much better! Hang in there ;)

Email..."join Rush on Facebook and meet other perspective students and start talking" great I can meet lots of new friends before my dreams are crushed haha....just tell me if I'm in or not!!!

Email..."join Rush on Facebook and meet other perspective students and start talking" great I can meet lots of new friends before my dreams are crushed haha....just tell me if I'm in or not!!!

lol. i know! just tell me already! why would i join their facebook page only to get rejected next week? i am so nervous! this is torture.

Edited by trina

Anyone apply to U. South Florida? I know people who started hearing from them at this time last year. Also, I know someone who received an e-mail from them recently stating that her application was complete and a decision would be sent out soon. Anyone else receive an e-mail like this? I still haven't gotten one but my application was complete over 2 months ago.

I've got an interview at Pacific on Friday - I will report back on how it goes! I've got my reservations about a new program, but they do seem to have their stuff together and I'll get to do some more examining at the visit. I don't know how many people applied, but they invited 120 to interview for 30-40 or so spaces. I still don't like those odds, but I do imagine it isn't everyone's top choice, especially as a new program, so they'll probably accept more than that.

I also applied to PDX state - Thanks for the info! It was mostly on a lark, and because I already was shelling out for other CSDCAS schools anyway. Their out of state tuition is brutal, even more expensive than Pacific, though so even if I were to get in, I probably wouldn't be able to. Out of curiosity, why didn't you apply there?

Honestly, I'm interested in a program that has a greater focus on medical speech pathology, with more connections to area hospitals and rehab facilities, which I dont necessarily think is a focus for either PSU or Pacific. Plus Ive lived in Portland most of my life, and while it's an absolutely awesome city, I'm looking for a change of scenery for a bit :) And again, while I like a lot of the faculty at PSU, their facilities there are just not that great in my opinion, and I think they might be stretching themselves a little thin with the resources they have bringing in a new class of 50 students.

Anyway I hope your interview at Pacific goes well!

Anyone apply to U. South Florida? I know people who started hearing from them at this time last year. Also, I know someone who received an e-mail from them recently stating that her application was complete and a decision would be sent out soon. Anyone else receive an e-mail like this? I still haven't gotten one but my application was complete over 2 months ago.

I didn't apply to USF, but one of my friends did, and she said something to me about decisions going out on March 12th. I'm not positive how she found that out, but I think that she got an email about it.

I applied to USF, and my application has been complete for quite a while. The only thing I have from them is a UID to go and check my application credentials, but all it says is that everything is in and complete. I didn't get an email notification, but I did call to double check that everything had been rec'd. I wonder what their applicant pool was like. Any idea?