SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

US News World & Report posted its 2013 rankings today. While we all know these should be taken with a grain of salt, I thought it was interesting to see the changes.

Does anybody know what the rankings are based on? I have zero clue, and a school that I think I really like dropped significantly. :( It's a small program, so I wonder if that factors in...? I'm just really curious how much they should impact my decision of where to go... I've gotten into much higher ranked schools than the one I thought was my first choice, and its lower ranking makes me nervous!

I just don't know how much stock to put in them... I'd like to know what they're based on! Anybody have any clue?

Edited by nycrefugee

Does anybody know what the rankings are based on? I have zero clue, and a school that I think I really like dropped significantly. :( It's a small program, so I wonder if that factors in...? I'm just really curious how much they should impact my decision of where to go... I've gotten into much higher ranked schools than the one I thought was my first choice, and its lower ranking makes me nervous!

I just don't know how much stock to put in them... I'd like to know what they're based on! Anybody have any clue?

I don't know for sure, but I have heard that the rankings have a loooot to do with the research that the schools put out (I think that is why smaller schools are typically lower). I have been told that the rankings do very little to judge how good your clinical/education experience will be...and as someone who isn't very interested in the research aspect of the field, I am basically ignorning those rankings because the clinical aspect matters a whole lot more to me.

Definitely don't stress about it. There's a full explanation on their website, but the abbreviated version is that faculty and administrators at accredited programs review other programs. Since they're peer reviews, research plays a big role. They should be taken with a grain of salt for that reason.

Yeah, good question. Their FAQ says "All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys. Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a scale of 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding)...Peer surveys were conducted by the market research firm Synovate. [surveys were sent to] audiology programs and speech-­language pa­thol­ogy programs accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (response rate 55 percent and 31 percent, respectively)"

Here are the links: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/2012/03/12/methodology-graduate-health-rankings

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/2012/03/12/how-us-news-calculated-the-2013-graduate-school-rankings

I don't know for sure, but I have heard that the rankings have a loooot to do with the research that the schools put out (I think that is why smaller schools are typically lower). I have been told that the rankings do very little to judge how good your clinical/education experience will be...and as someone who isn't very interested in the research aspect of the field, I am basically ignorning those rankings because the clinical aspect matters a whole lot more to me.

Definitely don't stress about it. There's a full explanation on their website, but the abbreviated version is that faculty and administrators at accredited programs review other programs. Since they're peer reviews, research plays a big role. They should be taken with a grain of salt for that reason.

Yeah, good question. Their FAQ says "All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys. Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a scale of 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding)...Peer surveys were conducted by the market research firm Synovate. [surveys were sent to] audiology programs and speech-­language pa­thol­ogy programs accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (response rate 55 percent and 31 percent, respectively)"

Here are the links: http://www.usnews.co...health-rankings

http://www.usnews.co...school-rankings

Thanks, you guys, that makes me feel a lot better. I just keep doubting myself and my choices during this whole process!! :wacko: I'll be happy when I finally sign my name to a school. I'm visiting that particular school on Monday, so that will be the only fact I'll take into consideration... not some US News rating!

Thanks, you guys, that makes me feel a lot better. I just keep doubting myself and my choices during this whole process!! :wacko: I'll be happy when I finally sign my name to a school. I'm visiting that particular school on Monday, so that will be the only fact I'll take into consideration... not some US News rating!

Yeah, it seems even less precise for the health rankings than for some of the other areas they rank. At least for MBA and law programs, they look at factors like starting salary on completion, bar passing rate, GRE/GPA, etc., and even talk to professionals in the field, rather than only using faculty impressions. It seems like your overall impression of a program is much more important.

Those rankings are basically crap as far as how they're assessed, but unfortunately some people do put stock in them and they can have an affect on the overall reputation of the school (mostly for people who don't pay attention to how they're determined...). I definitely wouldn't base your decisions off of them or let them change your mind on any program.

Just got an email from Portland State, anyone else? I wasn't expecting anything from them until April...

Congrats on your scholarship at U Washington and your assistantship at Towson. What department at Towson did you get your assistantship with? Is it a full-time or part-time one?

Thank you! I'm sending you a message about the GA at Towson :)

Has anybody who was accepted to U Wash's Core program heard about scholarships/funding?

They haven't sent out funding yet, should go out by the end of the week or early next week (I only know because I got a personal email from a faculty member telling me I had some coming, I still don't know the amount or anything). I know they don't have a lot to give, based on conversations I had with the chair of admissions earlier in the application process :/ it's a bummer but it's such a good program, I think the debt might be worth it :)

Do you know if they're sending out emails, or sending letters out in the mail?

I'm not sure...my guess is e-mail though since PSU is a pretty big/busy school. And I never got one e-mail/letter confirming my application or anything after the deadline so I would think that if they didn't do that they wouldn't do mail.

I'm not sure...my guess is e-mail though since PSU is a pretty big/busy school. And I never got one e-mail/letter confirming my application or anything after the deadline so I would think that if they didn't do that they wouldn't do mail.

They're sending emails, and they've already started, I got mine one hour ago.

I feel your pain, but it's a good problem to have :) do you know which way you're leaning yet? I'm thinking UW is where I'm headed at this point...

UW is my dream school, like the Autism Center makes me swoon ha, but it's unrealistic financially for me. I'm leaning towards PSU or Pacific. I loved Pacific when I visited though.

Does anyone have any idea about when we will hear from Redlands? I got an email from them a few weeks ago saying my application was complete (about six - eight weeks after I submitted it to the ever wonderful CSDCAS :huh: ) and under review. According to the results page people heard from them around this time last year, if not before. I went to the open house but don't remember if they said when to expect to hear from them (I went to seven open houses/visits and applied to ten schools from a list of about twenty so things tend to blur). It's the only school in CA I applied to and while not my top choice, if I were accepted I would have to seriously consider going somewhere close(er) to home.

Northwestern decisions are up! I am ecstatic and shocked to be accepted. During the application process, NU was my shoot for the moon/I just want to see if they'd even wait list me school. Good luck to everyone!

I know this is about the master's programs, but I was wondering if those who are well versed on program acceptances know if the PhD programs are as hard to get into......I have been accepted to a decent state school program to start work on my master's in the fall, and I will pursue a PhD after I complete that. My school does not have a PhD program. I have a 3.8 gpa, 167v 155q 5 writing. I have had 2 posters in ASHA, first-authored a paper in AJSLP, received about 10K in research grants from my school and a few other organizations. I have 2 years speech/hearing research and 2 years neuroscience/EEG research. I should have first author on at least one more paper before I apply. I thought I would be competitive for the PhD programs but so many people seem very qualified on here. I appreciate any advice, I want a research career.

Northwestern decisions are up! I am ecstatic and shocked to be accepted. During the application process, NU was my shoot for the moon/I just want to see if they'd even wait list me school. Good luck to everyone!

thanks for this! i didn't get accepted to Northwestern.. but i saw it coming anyway. i just wanted to know for sure and not be kept in the dark till june or something. congratulations to you! you've got some great acceptances! :) any idea where you will be headed in the fall?

Congratulations, that is so exciting! I just checked and my page looks exactly the same... all it says is application complete. So I'm probably one of those unlucky people that will be waiting until June to hear anything from them, greattttttt.

thanks for this! i didn't get accepted to Northwestern.. but i saw it coming anyway. i just wanted to know for sure and not be kept in the dark till june or something. congratulations to you! you've got some great acceptances! :) any idea where you will be headed in the fall?

Congratulations, that is so exciting! I just checked and my page looks exactly the same... all it says is application complete. So I'm probably one of those unlucky people that will be waiting until June to hear anything from them, greattttttt.

Thanks, Trina, but I'm not really sure at the moment. Northwestern is the only school I've visited, so I think I'll have a better idea after the Purdue and IU open houses on the 23rd. I am so thankful to have options, but the prospect of choosing seems so daunting now. Are you leaning towards Rush or Purdue? Congratulations on your acceptances! It seems like Rush was especially competitive this year.

Trevs326, I hope they release your decision soon. I can relate to how uncomfortable it feels to be in limbo. I don't know if you had a similar experience with UW-Madison, but I had such a hard time knowing decisions were being sent out and being in the dark. My stress related eye twitch reared its ugly head and I just wanted to know either way. Congratulations on your other acceptances!

If you both are attending the Purdue open house, we'll have to compare notes on here!

Just got into Touro but will likely be turning them down in favor of GSU (although psychologically nice to know that I have options). I also found out I am number 12 on the wait list at my top choice school. A bit of a hard pill to swallow as I have a feeling that it means I won't get in. So much information before 10am haha. I have a feeling the next three days (including today) are going to be busy on the boards.

edited for typos :-)

Edited by NorcalSLP

Just a heads up about Portland State, two of the youngest, brightest and definitely favorite professors there just accepted positions at Pacifics new program. If you're considering either of these two schools and have an interest in neurogenic com disorders/TBI or craniofacial issues (the areas these professors specialize in), then I'd suggest taking a long look at Pacific, since PSU will be hard pressed to find suitable substitutes for these folks.