SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Thanks for the update :) Ahh more than 400 applicants, that makes me really nervous! I reeeally want to be accepted there. Did you happen to ask her about how we will be notified?

Unfortunately, no. That completely slipped my mind. I hope it's by email, though. Snail mail would probably extend our waiting period by a couple more days.. the way she put it, they were only going to have decisions ready at the end of next week. (As opposed to decision letters, i.e. the administrative part of it.) Is SXU one of your top choices? I notice that you've been accepted to some great programs already..

Is anyone going to the Rush open house on 4/6? Private message me your name if you are - especially if you think you'll be attending Rush...

I do want to go to the Rush open house on 6th April, but I've got a test that afternoon for one of my classes. I'm not sure if it'll be worth the hassle of trying to get out of it -- my instructor isn't very good about rescheduling and stuff. I might email them to ask if I can visit on one of my free days.. but I feel like the open house meant for a group of admitted students will be so much more informative than a personal tour.

Edited by trina

I am going to the open house next week! I am from Florida and really like the look of IU's program. I am not looking at the STEPS program, but it looks unique :) I'll post my thoughts after I attend.

Thank you! I'd love to hear what you thought. It is so hard to tell from a website what the clinical training would be like, or how important the M.A. students are to the professors...

Congrats on the acceptance at SCSU! I am also seriously considering heading to New Haven. Some factors for me are the relatively inexpensive tuition and all the new construction that has been done on the campus in the past few years. Another consideration is that my husband has been admitted to Yale for a PhD program. Other places I have been accepted (BU, MGH, NYU, Emerson, UConn) would all be fairly rough commutes, though UConn wouldn't be awful.

The program is so long at SCSU! What are you thinking about that?

Sorry for not finding this sooner! I was out of town for work and didn't stay on my Grad Cafe game! We have some friends who live near New Haven and love it. I am still kind of leaning toward going to school in a warmer clime (if I opt to go out-of-state).

Congrats to you and your spouse! My husband wants to go back for his PhD, but I'm making him wait :P

But, I didn't realize the SCSU program was exceptionally long. How long is it, exactly? <_<

Unfortunately, no. That completely slipped my mind. I hope it's by email, though. Snail mail would probably extend our waiting period by a couple more days.. the way she put it, they were only going to have decisions ready at the end of next week. (As opposed to decision letters, i.e. the administrative part of it.) Is SXU one of your top choices? I notice that you've been accepted to some great programs already..

Maybe I'll take my turn calling, and see what I can find out...ha.

Yeah, it actually is one of my top choices. If I were to be accepted I would have to find out more about the program before making a decision, but I would reeeeeeally like to go to school in Chicago. That is one of the reasons that I really want to find out soon, because I'm not going to have a lot of time to figure things out before decisions have to be made.

But yeah, I know that I do already have some great options :) And you do as well!

Edited by AudioEnvy

On the other hand I don't like how much I would have to drive in Atlanta.

Can't argue that. I hate driving in Atlanta with a passion. Even when I was hopelessly lost in Chicago with a bum GPS (the day before I visited Rush, where I'm hoping to end up), I didn't hate the driving as much. I'm probably going to use my car as little as possible if I go there, especially in the summer. But in Atlanta, it's either murderous-thought-inducing traffic and drivers, or MARTA (which is pretty scary)...

Can't argue that. I hate driving in Atlanta with a passion. Even when I was hopelessly lost in Chicago with a bum GPS (the day before I visited Rush, where I'm hoping to end up), I didn't hate the driving as much. I'm probably going to use my car as little as possible if I go there, especially in the summer. But in Atlanta, it's either murderous-thought-inducing traffic and drivers, or MARTA (which is pretty scary)...

Having lived in Chicago, I would like to say that traffic there is pretty horrendous. I've never driven in Atlanta, to be fair, but it usually took my husband over an hour and a half to make the drive from Rush to our apartment (which, according to Google maps, is a 25 minute drive). It is possible to make it in Chicago without a vehicle, but relying on the CTA/eL makes things like grocery shopping difficult. I'd warn you about picking an apartment near the hospitals, but if you're familiar with Atlanta then I'm sure that you know how to stay safe.

There is nothing, IMHO, that beats Chicago in the summers. Farmers' markets downtown, concerts, the lake breeze, it's all pretty amazing. Almost makes you forget about the -20 wind chills and crazy snowfalls in the winter. Reminds me that I need to plan a visit!

No one's heard from Vanderbilt or Florida yet I assume? I'm going a little crazy (ok, really crazy) because I'm leaving for Spring Break tomorrow morning so I'll be away from my mail for an entire week...hoping both schools will be okay with me calling them to find out whether I've been accepted or not if I see on the results survey page that they've gone out...

"In Review"?! What could you possibly still be reviewing?!

Really need to get responses from everyone so I can make a decision. What's the point of having a Jan 1 deadline if you're going to wait until the end of March to post decisions?! Arggggggg

OK. Just needed to get that out. Thank you all for listening. Have a great weekend! :P

No one's heard from Vanderbilt or Florida yet I assume? I'm going a little crazy (ok, really crazy) because I'm leaving for Spring Break tomorrow morning so I'll be away from my mail for an entire week...hoping both schools will be okay with me calling them to find out whether I've been accepted or not if I see on the results survey page that they've gone out...

Still waiting on Vandy over here on the west coast as well. If they're going to make it a point to email applicants to say decisions will be made by today and then not come through, I imagine poor lyn smith is going to regret including her contact number in that message...

Still waiting on Vandy over here on the west coast as well. If they're going to make it a point to email applicants to say decisions will be made by today and then not come through, I imagine poor lyn smith is going to regret including her contact number in that message...

Agreed.

Hey everyone, I've been hanging around this thread for awhile and I'm finally confused enough to post! When i sent in my applications I was just concerned with getting in somewhere, but now that I've started to hear back and im realizing I may actually have to make a decision, I could use some feedback!

I'm still waiting to hear back from several schools, but so far I've been accepted to Adelphi and New Paltz (and I think New Paltz might be too far away for me) but I don't know much about the programs' reputations. I do plan on visiting Adelphi, but i was wondering if anyone's heard any feedback about their program? Anyone else accepted and considering it?

I'll also be interviewing at Mercy, and I was wondering if anyone has heard from current or recent students about the program? Also, if anyone's been on the interview already, because I know some were last week, what did you think of the interview and the program in general?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Good Luck everyone, and sorry if this was a long post!

When did you hear back from New Paltz? and was it an email/letter?

Having lived in Chicago, I would like to say that traffic there is pretty horrendous. I've never driven in Atlanta, to be fair, but it usually took my husband over an hour and a half to make the drive from Rush to our apartment (which, according to Google maps, is a 25 minute drive). It is possible to make it in Chicago without a vehicle, but relying on the CTA/eL makes things like grocery shopping difficult. I'd warn you about picking an apartment near the hospitals, but if you're familiar with Atlanta then I'm sure that you know how to stay safe.

There is nothing, IMHO, that beats Chicago in the summers. Farmers' markets downtown, concerts, the lake breeze, it's all pretty amazing. Almost makes you forget about the -20 wind chills and crazy snowfalls in the winter. Reminds me that I need to plan a visit!

I love Chicago! :) (Horrendous traffic notwithstanding.) Driving in Chicago scares me. I feel like everyone on the road is always so impatient and I'm getting in their way just by being there in my car. Lol. But I'm so envious of all of you who are going to go to school in Chicago. I'm almost 70% sure that I'm headed to Purdue. But we'll see.. If I do, it's going to be quite a change for me -- moving from Chicago to West Lafayette, Indiana.

Edited by trina

I saw one person post an acceptance at Ohio State. Did anyone else get a response from them?

I saw that too... they told me in an email that they would be sending decisions out at the beginning of April, so I was surprised to see that result listed. No email for me, and my status page still says in review.

Does anyone have information on George Washington University for speech path?

Hello, I’m not sure what type of information you are looking for but here is my take on GW. I am currently a senior in the Speech and Hearing Science department at GW and overall my experience with GW and the department has been great.

The program here is pretty small, I don’t know the exact number of graduate students but I do know I can tell you pretty much every first year grad student’s name, and the professors really take an interest in each of their students. If you are willing to put in the effort, they will do their best to help you succeed. The clinic supervisors are also really great about getting to know each of the clinicians and are very interactive with them, helping them to improve while also supporting their efforts.

Even though the program here is small, there is still some great research going on in a number of different areas. If you are interested in Cochlear Implants, Stuttering, or Autism, GW faculty is tackling some really interesting projects in these areas. There are other projects of course but these are the ones I am most familiar with. The department also has close ties to researchers working in neuroscience and there are ongoing joint projects between the departments.

Right now, the department is really focused on trying to make the program the best that it can be. They have recently expanded their externship program to try and make contacts with more places in the area to help students find a position that really interests them. They have reorganized their clinical tracks to better fit the needs of their clients. They also recently revamped their undergrad curriculum.

On to the downsides, first of all, GW tuition can be expensive and they cannot give everyone funding. Secondly, living in DC, especially around campus, is REALLY expensive in my option. A one-bedroom apartment can cost well over $2000/ month. Most graduate students live in Maryland and Virginia to save money but commuting on the Metro can be a hassle. I would not suggest driving as parking is expensive and the drivers can be crazy. GW doesn’t offer much in the way of graduate housing and what they do offer is not all that nice.

On the brightside, however, DC is a great place to live if you want the opportunities of living in a city but don’t want to live in a highly populated area.

Once again, I don’t know if this is the type of info you were looking for but hopefully it helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Edited by Kaitjg

Ouch, got my rejection letter in the mail from Vandy today. Can't win them all I guess :P I'm pretty confident I'll be going to UW in the Fall, anyone else leaning that way at this point? I'd love to connect with some future classmates before September :)

Hey is anyone on here the person(s) who wrote on the admissions page about hearing negative things about Vanderbilt's program? I'd really like to get a PM from anyone who is willing to share info about their personal experiences visiting the school and/or speaking with current/former students. Thank you!

Hey is anyone on here the person(s) who wrote on the admissions page about hearing negative things about Vanderbilt's program? I'd really like to get a PM from anyone who is willing to share info about their personal experiences visiting the school and/or speaking with current/former students. Thank you!

I would love to hear feedback on the program as well, and am interested to hear some specifics about the negative experiences people have mentioned.

I understand there is a need for anonymity, but it would be very helpful to those of us in the decision stage to hear what we can. No program is perfect, and if we could have an open, honest discussion about the negatives people have heard, it would help everyone make an informed decision about where they fit best. I hope anyone who has information on negatives in the program can share freely here.

Best wishes to all in finding their perfect fit. And congrats to the person who was the first Vanderbilt acceptance to post on the board!

Edited by jkathleen

I saw one person post an acceptance at Ohio State. Did anyone else get a response from them?

Does anyone have information on George Washington University for speech path?

I guess they heard me, because they sent me an e-mail this afternoon! The e-mail stated that this was essentially the first batch of acceptances going out. In years past OSU will send out a first group, wait to start hearing back, send out a second group, etc.

Pretty pumped - but this does make deciding more difficult. I hope you get some good news soon!

I love Chicago! :) (Horrendous traffic notwithstanding.) Driving in Chicago scares me. I feel like everyone on the road is always so impatient and I'm getting in their way just by being there in my car. Lol. But I'm so envious of all of you who are going to go to school in Chicago. I'm almost 70% sure that I'm headed to Purdue. But we'll see.. If I do, it's going to be quite a change for me -- moving from Chicago to West Lafayette, Indiana.

The Cracker Barrel and drive-thru Starbucks off of the West Lafayette exit were my favorite part of driving to/from Chicago. Not particularly unique, sure, but delicious nonetheless.

Was told by Florida that we would be notified no later then April 1st and also most likely we'll be notified by snail mail.

If you do get a letter from UF PLEASE let me know so I can tell someone to check my mail because I'm going out of the country March 19th and won't come bck to the states till beginning of July. Thanks and goodluck! :)