SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Has anyone gotten any type of funding info from Northwestern, or head anything at all from them aside from receiving a hard-copy version of the online notification?

I haven't. I felt like such a chump when I saw a letter from them and thought it might be scholarship news!

Has anyone gotten any type of funding info from Northwestern, or head anything at all from them aside from receiving a hard-copy version of the online notification?

nada--but I did hear from Rush today! I think I'm going to accept tomorrow. I believe the largest scholarship Northwestern offers is ~$15k and their tuition is so much higher. I don't think I'm ready to sign up for that much debt.

nada--but I did hear from Rush today! I think I'm going to accept tomorrow. I believe the largest scholarship Northwestern offers is ~$15k and their tuition is so much higher. I don't think I'm ready to sign up for that much debt.

That's awesome about Rush!! so cool, congrats! Im with ya on the debt. bummer to have to rule out a school because of financial stuff, but so it goes.

I heard from Rush today too. Was pretty surprised actually.. I didn't think my application was that competitive. Lol. Now I'm so confused. Purdue is still way cheaper, even with the $15k scholarship that Rush is offering. I guess I'll wait to visit, and then decide. @HopefulSLP, I noticed that the Rush scholarship is only for the first year.. any idea if this might continue in the second year if we keep our grades up?

I heard from Rush today too. Was pretty surprised actually.. I didn't think my application was that competitive. Lol. Now I'm so confused. Purdue is still way cheaper, even with the $15k scholarship that Rush is offering. I guess I'll wait to visit, and then decide. @HopefulSLP, I noticed that the Rush scholarship is only for the first year.. any idea if this might continue in the second year if we keep our grades up?

that is what I am hoping for, but I don't actually know. either way, the $15k is awesome and something I did not plan on. congrats to you as well!

agregory, it totally does stink, but that is life.

This was my deadline too. I decided not to accept the offer - it was a good one financially, but all of their written material gave me a bad vibe. Plus, they don't like you to come visit after you get in, because of course you're supposed to fly all over the country to visit potential programs before you apply.. <_< I visited schools that were close to me, but for the out of state visits just weren't feasible.

Went on an admitted students visit today at another university and really liked it - I think I've made my choice! ^_^

I told them 'no,' too. There was just something about requiring a response before the start of April that really rubbed me the wrong way. They told me I could come visit campus on May 29th, I think? A Tuesday after a holiday? Sorry USC, not possible.

Still working on updating other schools about my decision. These e-mails are so awkward!

Ok so I just had an interview and it was my first one so Im not sure what to do... They said we should hear by the end of the week do you all normally email them thanking them for taking the time or anything or do I just wait this out?

Ok so I just had an interview and it was my first one so Im not sure what to do... They said we should hear by the end of the week do you all normally email them thanking them for taking the time or anything or do I just wait this out?

An e-mail can't hurt!! I am all about some thank-yous :D

For those of you who applied to UW's post-baccalaureate program, their undergrad adviser just emailed me back and said they will be sending their decisions by this Thursday.

Aahhh thank you for the update! I'm so nervous to hear back, but it's nice to know that we'll know soon!

I just got rejected from Boulder and am heartbroken, so I need some good news.

Unfortunately I dont think I'll be able to make it due to the timing. I'd be really eager to hear your thoughts though if you wouldnt mind touching base afterwards. I think the high tuition at MGH combined with the crazy cost of living in Boston might have me leaning more towards other options at this point anyways.

Im definitely planning on visiting Vanderbilt before the 15th though. Have you gotten in touch with anyone over there about a tour yet? I emailed Penny Welch, who sent me an availability form to be forwarded back to Lyn Smith. Hopefully our paths will cross in Nashville!

I totally wouldn't mind talking about MGH after I go. In fact, if you want to PM me some questions, I'll take them with me and try to get them answered while I'm there.

I will be visiting Vandy, but I haven't pinned down the date yet. I haven't contacted the Department yet about my acceptance (I just got the official letter in the mail last night), but I will call over there sometime in the next few days (after I have some available travel dates).

I was in the middle of making arrangements to go tour UTA, but I'm thinking I'll skip it now... Have you visited UTA?

Aahhh thank you for the update! I'm so nervous to hear back, but it's nice to know that we'll know soon!

Sorry to hear about Boulder :( I can't stop refreshing my email today (or yesterday) and with every passing second, I feel my chances of acceptance slipping out of my grasp. I'm not sure how they staggered acceptances/rejections, but it seemed like yesterday was all about acceptances. What's even more confusing for me is that letter they sent a month ago from the committee chair stating I was a "top applicant". I don't know how many people received that and were accepted, but I've been clinging to every ounce of hope I have because of that stupid letter. I will be pretty disappointed if I'm flat out rejected. I wouldn't have been, but that dang letter just had to be sent.

Got my rejection about 2 minutes after I made this post. Heartbroken as well.

Edited by Theasaurus

Unfortunately I dont think I'll be able to make it due to the timing. I'd be really eager to hear your thoughts though if you wouldnt mind touching base afterwards. I think the high tuition at MGH combined with the crazy cost of living in Boston might have me leaning more towards other options at this point anyways.

Im definitely planning on visiting Vanderbilt before the 15th though. Have you gotten in touch with anyone over there about a tour yet? I emailed Penny Welch, who sent me an availability form to be forwarded back to Lyn Smith. Hopefully our paths will cross in Nashville!

I totally wouldn't mind talking about MGH after I go. In fact, if you want to PM me some questions, I'll take them with me and try to get them answered while I'm there.

I will be visiting Vandy, but I haven't pinned down the date yet. I haven't contacted the Department yet about my acceptance (I just got the official letter in the mail last night), but I will call over there sometime in the next few days (after I have some available travel dates).

I was in the middle of making arrangements to go tour UTA, but I'm thinking I'll skip it now... Have you visited UTA?

I was accepted to Vanderbilt!!! So now, almost like both of you, my final decision is between MGH and Vandy!

I visited MGH last year and might be able to answer some of your questions. I guess I'm going to have to visit Vandy to figure this out. This is going to be a very tough decision.

Sorry to hear about Boulder :( I can't stop refreshing my email today (or yesterday) and with every passing second, I feel my chances of acceptance slipping out of my grasp. I'm not sure how they staggered acceptances/rejections, but it seemed like yesterday was all about acceptances. What's even more confusing for me is that letter they sent a month ago from the committee chair stating I was a "top applicant". I don't know how many people received that and were accepted, but I've been clinging to every ounce of hope I have because of that stupid letter. I will be pretty disappointed if I'm flat out rejected. I wouldn't have been, but that dang letter just had to be sent.

Got my rejection about 2 minutes after I made this post. Heartbroken as well.

Sorry to hear that as well :(

Sorry ukulele11. Hope the next news you get is good news... you too, Theasaurus. :(

Edited by WannabeSLP

Sorry to hear that as well :(

Thank you AudioEnvy. Getting the rejection was tough but definitely easier with a couple of acceptances under my belt. Good luck with UCF. Is that your top choice? It is now for me. We'll see though, we'll see... If there's one thing I've discovered throughout this whole process it's that the admissions people are a funny bunch.

And thank you too WannabeSLP!

Edited by Theasaurus

Is it an accepted students day? Or just an open house for everyone?

I haven't heard anything from USF yet! :(

I haven't hear a peep from USF, either, and ultimately assumed that I didn't make the cut for the first round of acceptances. I e-mailed them last week to ask my status but haven't heard anything back. Maybe give them a call? I think that is appropriate at this stage.

And to everyone who didn't get accepted to UC Boulder - hang in there! I had several professors at my school tell me what a competitive program it is (and I'm nowhere near CO).

Hello future SLPs! I've been following this thread for a while, and now it's time for an actual question. I was recently accepted to Northeastern, which I visited a month or so ago and loved (they have the nicest facilities and it seemed like a great, close-knit program). I'm an out-of-major applicant, and Northeastern has only 5 pre-reqs. I graduated with a degree in English and Linguistics, and much of my linguistics courses related to the arena of speech pathology. I've also worked in research labs for the Speech-language department at the University of Arizona, and I've shadowed and aided some speech-pathologists. So, the field isn't completely foreign to me at all. With that being said, I don't think I'd be uncomfortable starting the two year program in the Fall. However, are five pre-reqs even feasible to complete this summer? Does anyone have any recommendations on programs? I live in Atlanta now, and I don't think I'd mind doing online (although this wouldn't be my first choice).

I hope everyone is fairing well during this process. It really is difficult! My boyfriend and my parents probably wish it were over with more than I do.

Also (one last thing!), I emailed Cindy Coy at Northwestern, and if your application decision hasn't been made on your status page, you are most likely on the alternate list and will hear by April 20th. More waiting! Hooray!! Good luck everyone and I hope you're taking deep breaths every day :)

Hello future SLPs! I've been following this thread for a while, and now it's time for an actual question. I was recently accepted to Northeastern, which I visited a month or so ago and loved (they have the nicest facilities and it seemed like a great, close-knit program). I'm an out-of-major applicant, and Northeastern has only 5 pre-reqs. I graduated with a degree in English and Linguistics, and much of my linguistics courses related to the arena of speech pathology. I've also worked in research labs for the Speech-language department at the University of Arizona, and I've shadowed and aided some speech-pathologists. So, the field isn't completely foreign to me at all. With that being said, I don't think I'd be uncomfortable starting the two year program in the Fall. However, are five pre-reqs even feasible to complete this summer? Does anyone have any recommendations on programs? I live in Atlanta now, and I don't think I'd mind doing online (although this wouldn't be my first choice).

I hope everyone is fairing well during this process. It really is difficult! My boyfriend and my parents probably wish it were over with more than I do.

Also (one last thing!), I emailed Cindy Coy at Northwestern, and if your application decision hasn't been made on your status page, you are most likely on the alternate list and will hear by April 20th. More waiting! Hooray!! Good luck everyone and I hope you're taking deep breaths every day :)

When did you hear from Northeastern? I also applied there and have not heard anything

Ahh, April 20th?!?! That's so long away!! :wacko: But thanks for checking for all of us who are still waiting!! :)