SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

When did you hear from Northeastern? I also applied there and have not heard anything

I checked the application page about a week ago and the letter was there. Maybe you should email? I've seen both acceptances and rejections already! So maybe it's a good thing you haven't heard. No news is sometimes good news. Good luck!

Ahh, April 20th?!?! That's so long away!! :wacko: But thanks for checking for all of us who are still waiting!! :)

I should say she just told me I was on the alternate list, and my decision hasn't been made on the application page. So, I just jumped to the conclusion that that was the case for everyone. Maybe I'm wrong! I don't want to be spamming everyone with false info :)

Thank you AudioEnvy. Getting the rejection was tough but definitely easier with a couple of acceptances under my belt. Good luck with UCF. Is that your top choice? It is now for me. We'll see though, we'll see... If there's one thing I've discovered throughout this whole process it's that the admissions people are a funny bunch.

And thank you too WannabeSLP!

Thanks, good luck to you as well!!

UCF isn't really my first choice...I've lived in Florida all my life and I have nothing really holding me here at the moment, so I'm really wanting to use this as a chance to experience something new. I'm actually veeeeery conflicted and undecided about where I should accept (I didn't expect to end up having so many choices). St. Xavier is really high up in consideration for me, so I'm dying to hear from there (and for some reason, I am really sensing a rejection coming from there...but I'll have to wait and see), and I also really like the program at UT Dallas...buuuut yeah, I'm really not sure.

Hello future SLPs! I've been following this thread for a while, and now it's time for an actual question. I was recently accepted to Northeastern, which I visited a month or so ago and loved (they have the nicest facilities and it seemed like a great, close-knit program). I'm an out-of-major applicant, and Northeastern has only 5 pre-reqs. I graduated with a degree in English and Linguistics, and much of my linguistics courses related to the arena of speech pathology. I've also worked in research labs for the Speech-language department at the University of Arizona, and I've shadowed and aided some speech-pathologists. So, the field isn't completely foreign to me at all. With that being said, I don't think I'd be uncomfortable starting the two year program in the Fall. However, are five pre-reqs even feasible to complete this summer? Does anyone have any recommendations on programs? I live in Atlanta now, and I don't think I'd mind doing online (although this wouldn't be my first choice).

I hope everyone is fairing well during this process. It really is difficult! My boyfriend and my parents probably wish it were over with more than I do.

Also (one last thing!), I emailed Cindy Coy at Northwestern, and if your application decision hasn't been made on your status page, you are most likely on the alternate list and will hear by April 20th. More waiting! Hooray!! Good luck everyone and I hope you're taking deep breaths every day :)

5 pre-reqs sound like a lot, but it certainly depends on which ones you're taking. I heard good things about Utah State's online classes after asking around on this board awhile back (I think we were on something like 106 pages then? That seems like so long ago).

Best of luck! :D

I'm sorry :/

Good luck with the rest of your decisions. Hopefully what is meant to be will happen for all of us.

Thank you, AudioEnvy. I wish you the best of luck as well! I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. Even if it is not what we had originally wanted or planned for, it will all work out. :)

Sorry to hear about Boulder :( I can't stop refreshing my email today (or yesterday) and with every passing second, I feel my chances of acceptance slipping out of my grasp. I'm not sure how they staggered acceptances/rejections, but it seemed like yesterday was all about acceptances. What's even more confusing for me is that letter they sent a month ago from the committee chair stating I was a "top applicant". I don't know how many people received that and were accepted, but I've been clinging to every ounce of hope I have because of that stupid letter. I will be pretty disappointed if I'm flat out rejected. I wouldn't have been, but that dang letter just had to be sent.

Got my rejection about 2 minutes after I made this post. Heartbroken as well.

I'm sorry, Theasaurus! :( This whole application process was such a rollercoaster of emotions! The admissions process is always going to be kind of a mystery to me. You never really know where you're going to get in and there are just so many people applying now! Boulder said they had over 500 applicants. CRAZY!

Although I'm still pretty bummed, I know that it'll work out no matter what. Being rejected from somewhere that I had had so much hope for (I have family in Boulder and just love the city) has given me the chance to consider places that I had never really thought too much about before.

Best of luck to you!

Sorry ukulele11. Hope the next news you get is good news... you too, Theasaurus. :(

Thanks, WannabeSLP! You too! :)

Edited by ukulele11

Hello future SLPs! I've been following this thread for a while, and now it's time for an actual question. I was recently accepted to Northeastern, which I visited a month or so ago and loved (they have the nicest facilities and it seemed like a great, close-knit program). I'm an out-of-major applicant, and Northeastern has only 5 pre-reqs. I graduated with a degree in English and Linguistics, and much of my linguistics courses related to the arena of speech pathology. I've also worked in research labs for the Speech-language department at the University of Arizona, and I've shadowed and aided some speech-pathologists. So, the field isn't completely foreign to me at all. With that being said, I don't think I'd be uncomfortable starting the two year program in the Fall. However, are five pre-reqs even feasible to complete this summer? Does anyone have any recommendations on programs? I live in Atlanta now, and I don't think I'd mind doing online (although this wouldn't be my first choice).

I hope everyone is fairing well during this process. It really is difficult! My boyfriend and my parents probably wish it were over with more than I do.

Also (one last thing!), I emailed Cindy Coy at Northwestern, and if your application decision hasn't been made on your status page, you are most likely on the alternate list and will hear by April 20th. More waiting! Hooray!! Good luck everyone and I hope you're taking deep breaths every day :)

Hello, I've also been following this forum while I try to decide what to do! I also applied to schools in Boston with no prerequisites. I know that both Emerson and MGH have a summer session where you can take all 5 prerequisites before their programs start. I believe they reserve spaces for people attending their programs, but it's worth giving them a call if you're going to be moving to Boston anyway! I think BU only offers most of them, but not Intro. to Communication Disorders. At the same time, online classes are probably less expensive.

Sorry to hear about Boulder :( I can't stop refreshing my email today (or yesterday) and with every passing second, I feel my chances of acceptance slipping out of my grasp. I'm not sure how they staggered acceptances/rejections, but it seemed like yesterday was all about acceptances. What's even more confusing for me is that letter they sent a month ago from the committee chair stating I was a "top applicant". I don't know how many people received that and were accepted, but I've been clinging to every ounce of hope I have because of that stupid letter. I will be pretty disappointed if I'm flat out rejected. I wouldn't have been, but that dang letter just had to be sent.

Got my rejection about 2 minutes after I made this post. Heartbroken as well.

They sent me that letter, too!! And then I got my rejection today. What the hell, Boulder? Kinda misleading, no? Why would they do that and then reject you? Seems in poor taste. Oh well. The dry Colorado air does a number on my sinuses. I guess I will try to focus on past colorado-induced nosebleeds and not how much I love everything else about the place :(

I should say she just told me I was on the alternate list, and my decision hasn't been made on the application page. So, I just jumped to the conclusion that that was the case for everyone. Maybe I'm wrong! I don't want to be spamming everyone with false info :)

My decision isn't showing up on the application page either, so I'm guessing we're in the same boat. I'll probably send her an email at the end of the week just to make sure, but since a bunch of people already got acceptances/rejections a week ago, I figured that I was on the alternate list, also.

Northwestern can go ahead and give up my spot on this alternate list, then. About to step out the door to mail my deposit to Rush! Good luck to everyone else deciding!

Congrats on making your decision, that must be a huge relief!!! :)

If you think that it would be the right thing to do, please consider informing the schools that you haven't heard from yet. I'm sure that those schools are the top choice for a lot of applicants, and you could help someone who otherwise might have to go through being waitlisted.

Has anyone else heard from Oregon? I just got an email that said I was accepted! I am so excited right now-- I heard that they had many qualified applicants so I wasn't even expecting to get waitlisted. But now I am looking at the costs and am about to have a heart attack. I am out of state so tuition is very high. Is anyone else having this problem? How are you going to pay for school? I really want to go here but I'm not sure if it will be worth the cost in the end. I am still so excited though!!

Did anyone who was accepted to Pittsburgh today receive any funding information?

Hey, I didn't receive any funding information. It might just be the way I was reading the email, but the wording kind of made it seem like getting funding was unlikely.

Hey guys, I've been keeping up with the trends lately. Congratulations to everyone who has gotten accepted so far. I have a question...has anyone gotten into University of Cincinnati? I got my letter a couple weeks ago and am pretty excited.

Is there anyone waitlisted at BU who is thinking of attending the open house? I can't decide if it's worth going or not, especially since I heard nobody got off the waitlist last year. I got into some other good schools so maybe it's not worth it. I also don't live in the MA area so it would be a bit of a trip for me with possibly no pay off. Thoughts?

I was accepted to Vanderbilt!!! So now, almost like both of you, my final decision is between MGH and Vandy!

I visited MGH last year and might be able to answer some of your questions. I guess I'm going to have to visit Vandy to figure this out. This is going to be a very tough decision.

Congrats to you, too! Maybe we should set up a Goole+ conference the first week of April to share info on the programs...? Have you visited either school yet?

I got accepted into the University of Oregon today too! I'm not planning on attending there, since it's my undergrad right now and I want to move back to Portland, so hopefully this opens up a spot for one of you. :)

But other than the location, UO is a great school. I have only compliments about the program and the faculty and I think it would be worth the consideration financially.

I went to the Emerson open house in November and I recall some of the students saying that there were people who were not at Emerson who took the summer pre-recs there. I don't know about MGH. I would shoot them both a phone call/email to see if there are spaces available. Plus as was pointed out if you are already going to be in Boston you may as well get them done.Five pre-recs in a summer is hard but I did four the first summer at UW (two of which were known as being some of the hardest classes in the department) and while it was beyond exhausting, I survived. Plus if you can find one or two to do online you could theoretically (depending on who they are through) start before the summer even begins. Phonetics for example likely does not have to be through a speech and hearing department (I would email them to check) and you may be able to find a rolling start date on-line phonetics class (as a Lig major you actually probably already have met the phonetics requirement). If you need to stay in Atlanta for the summer see if GSU allows you to take classes in the summer (I don't know if they even offer the classes NEU wants you to have so this may be a moot point but you never know if you don't ask). I certainly think with a bit of research and dedication you can finish the five (maybe even four) classes before the September start date.

I am most likely (unless I get off of the Marquette wait list, which at #12 I highly doubt will happen) be attending NEU as well. Nice to "meet" a potential classmate.

So there's a letter here from Northeastern-seems so far the trend is that they're mailing out the letters USPS and posting the acceptances online. I'm not even opening it. Already had one rejection today. That's my limit.

Congrats to everyone hearing back and getting good news!

Just received an acceptance from the University of Wyoming! They offered an assistantship and scholarship! I'm totally shocked, I never thought that I would be eligible for any kind of financing. I also honestly never thought I would even have options, so now I'm really confused. I was planning on staying at NAU for my grad degree if accepted because of in state tuition and my boyfriends program here, but now I will need to evaluate my other options as well. Anyone else in this position??

Anybody know if Washington's program starts at the earlier September date or later?

UWs post bacc program will start in the summer. Mid June (the 18th this year). The masters programs start in mid/late September (the 24th this year). UW is on a quarter system and typically has a really late start date. Here is the calendar for the 2012-2013 school year http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/1213cal.html