SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I took mine at the University of South Florida. There were 7 classes that I finished in about a year (they offer 2-3 classes a semester). Everything was online, which made it very convenient. I contacted the schools I knew I would apply to prior to taking my postbacc courses in order to make sure that the classes would be acceptable for their program. I know Utah State offers leveling classes as well. Good luck!

How was your overall experience with the courses at U. of South Florida?

I have heard back from Redlands, but that's the only CA school I applied to. I know others have heard back from some other ones in CA, though. Where did you apply?

Has anyone heard back from schools in California, or has anyone applied to California schools?

I have heard back from Redlands, but that's the only CA school I applied to. I know others have heard back from some other ones in CA, though. Where did you apply?

I applied to CSU Long Beach and CSU Los Angeles for their post-bac programs. I was a bit naive about the competitiveness of the SLP programs when applying so I'm not feeling real confident about my chances. My gpa is on the low side, 3.3.

Has anyone heard back from schools in California, or has anyone applied to California schools?

I applied to CSU East Bay and I expect to hear from them between April 1-15 (which is ridiculously late!).

My alma mater is CSU Long Beach and they started sending out results last week. I don't know about any of the other California schools though... good luck!

The department chair from NAU left me a voicemail today, saying that I'm accepted to the program and that I'll be getting my letter in the mail soon. In addition, I'm "among the students selected for a graduate assistantship." I'm waiting to for her to return my call so I can get details on the terms of the assistantship. I should be more excited than I am but I guess that's because this is my backup school.

So, I can't remember if there are any other applicants to UVM, but it looks like another program has been hit by CSDCAS problems-- just got an email from them stating that their admissions timeline has been pushed back to between 3/21 and 3/28 (this being from an original date of 2/28!). I get why the idea of a centralized application service sounds nice, but it just so, so isn't in reality.

The department chair from NAU left me a voicemail today, saying that I'm accepted to the program and that I'll be getting my letter in the mail soon. In addition, I'm "among the students selected for a graduate assistantship." I'm waiting to for her to return my call so I can get details on the terms of the assistantship. I should be more excited than I am but I guess that's because this is my backup school.

Congrats!!

FSU is sending out results via email.

Oops...note to self...check results page prior to writing a message on here! hahah sorry everyone! I'm a bit behind today...

FSU just accepted me, even though I accidently sent them the wrong personal statement. Hmmmm.

hmmmm that is interesting.....did you outright name another school in the statement?

Haha, no, it wasn't anything as horrendous as that! I sent them an earlier draft of my PS instead of the final draft, but the earlier draft had some serious holes in it that were marked in red so I wouldn't forget to fill them in. It was a bang-head-on-table moment when I noticed my mistake.

Haha, no, it wasn't anything as horrendous as that! I sent them an earlier draft of my PS instead of the final draft, but the earlier draft had some serious holes in it that were marked in red so I wouldn't forget to fill them in. It was a bang-head-on-table moment when I noticed my mistake.

You applied to NAU as well? I'm really not enthusiastic about their program (I actually applied there solely because my parents wanted me to have a couple of schools in the southwest) but I did get my call today at around 12 PST. I can't get any definitive information about assistantships off of the NAU website but it's something like a 75% tuition waver plus $9900 a year if you work 20 hours a week and 37.5% tuition waiver for working <20 hours/week (nothing about salary). It definitely helps since I'm out-of-state but I'm starting to doubt if 20 hours/week, seminars, and clinic is just too much.

If you had to choose -- a program/school/region you don't particularly like that offers you funding vs a program/region you're enthusiastic about with very limited or no funding -- which would you choose? This is my dilemma. I don't want a huge loan but I'm even more afraid of regrets.

You applied to NAU as well? I'm really not enthusiastic about their program (I actually applied there solely because my parents wanted me to have a couple of schools in the southwest) but I did get my call today at around 12 PST. I can't get any definitive information about assistantships off of the NAU website but it's something like a 75% tuition waver plus $9900 a year if you work 20 hours a week and 37.5% tuition waiver for working <20 hours/week (nothing about salary). It definitely helps since I'm out-of-state but I'm starting to doubt if 20 hours/week, seminars, and clinic is just too much.

If you had to choose -- a program/school/region you don't particularly like that offers you funding vs a program/region you're enthusiastic about with very limited or no funding -- which would you choose? This is my dilemma. I don't want a huge loan but I'm even more afraid of regrets.

I guess it would depend on how much of a loan you will need. I know I had to decline an acceptance into the University of Sydney because of the costs a couple years ago. It was just way too much for me and I was dissapointed because I would have loved to go to that location for the experience. I would say go with the program that interests you the most. I think loving the program is way more important then costs, but only as long as those costs are somewhat feasible with the help of loans.

I did, but it's definitely a back-up school since I live in the northeast. I don't know much about it. The assistantship sounds like a good deal at the 20/week end, and I think 20/week is pretty standard for assistantships. I'm new at all this though, so don't quote me on that!

I think you need to choose something that you can live with personally and financially. I would love to take MGH up on their acceptance offer--I wouldn't have to move, I love the program and faculty--but it's way out of my financial reach. I personally am not willing to take out huge loans for graduate school, especially in a field where the name of your school doesn't mean anything when you're applying for jobs later on. So my vote: make a wise financial decision. But also make sure you won't be miserable at that school. Check it out, see how you feel. If you're still getting bad vibes about it, then take a pass. But I wouldn't discard it without taking a look at it first. Besides, NAU is in a prime location for some seriously amazing roadtrips in the southwest. :)

Hello everyone!!

So i'm very nervous because my sister just told me that "oh yeah, someone callled you...it was from a wierd number that said they were admissions or something...they want you to call them back?" When I asked her who it was or what the number was all she can remember was that she thinks it was someone named Patty and that "Institute of Health Professions" rings a bell....and that's all I could get out of her!!! I applied to MGH so I called office of admissions and told them about "Patty" and they said they didn't know that name, but if it was important they will probably call back. soooo frustrating!! does anymore who got into MGH remember a Patty, lol. I still cannot wrap my head around how terrible my sister is at taking messages!!

There's a Patty in the SLP program at UIUC, but we don't have an "Institute of Health Professions" to my knowledge!

Just got an email about scheduling an interview with the University of Tennessee-Knoxville! Very excited and very nervous! What should I expect and how should I prepare? This is my first grad school interview.

Hi, I'm in the same position as you-- first interview is at UT. Did your assigned faculty member email you back yet? Mine congratulated me on being accepted, so I'm a little confused since I haven't actually had the interview...it's scheduled for Tuesday. When is yours?

Hi, I'm in the same position as you-- first interview is at UT. Did your assigned faculty member email you back yet? Mine congratulated me on being accepted, so I'm a little confused since I haven't actually had the interview...it's scheduled for Tuesday. When is yours?

Haha I really hope that is the case! I have a friend in their program right now and she said that the interviews are relatively new and that she didn't have to do one. So I'm kind of wondering if maybe it's a formality thing to make sure were all normal! I still plan on taking it seriously and doing a good job though. But anyways, I did speak with my faculty member and my interview is tomorrow afternoon. she said that she was looking forward to "visiting" with me. She was really nice over email.

Edited by katiekg

Haha I really hope that is the case! I have a friend in their program right now and she said that the interviews are relatively new and that she didn't have to do one. So I'm kind of wondering if maybe it's a formality thing to make sure were all normal! I still plan on taking it seriously and doing a good job though. But anyways, I did speak with my faculty member and my interview is tomorrow afternoon. she said that she was looking forward to "visiting" with me. She was really nice over email.

Dr. Ann Michael is who I'm interviewing with and she is very friendly too! Good luck with yours tomorrow and let me know how it goes!

For those who have been accepted to UT Austin, what were your stats if you don't mind my asking? I expect to hear from them on Friday (before their Spring Break) and I'm preparing for rejection. esp since some folks have already heard from UT. :/

Has anyone heard anything from Rush or St. Xavier about when we should be receiving our admissions letters?

A professor at Rush returned my call and said that they are trying to get all their letters out within the next week. Good luck!