SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Thanks Stephpop - I sent an email yesterday but I'm guessing Ms. Gossen is out of the office, so hopefully I'll hear back on Monday. ah! Congrats to you that you're on top 15 for the WL. Hopefully something changes for us both! wink.gif until then, I hope Loyola sends out their decisions soon.

Maddie,

Have you checked your status on loyola's application website? I have and it still says "under review by committee".

I am going to visit Gallaudet this week in the event that I do get accepted off the waitlist...If for some reason I don't like it as much as towson, I will remove my name to give others a better chance :)

Seriously, goodluck!

Good luck! I also applied to OLLU. Nice to see some fellow Texans. :)

Did you apply to TAMUK by chance?

No i didn't apply to TAMUK. But if all else fails I am applying for the sping at TAMUK.

Ugh. Just got a big fat "no" back for funding from one of UNC's grants. That stings. BUT I did get to visit Vandy today and I fell in love with basically everything about them except the steep price tag. How do people afford this stuff?

How DO people afford this stuff? I was just doing some estimates and it looks like it's going to cost an arm and a leg for the next 2 years. I have a bit of money saved up but it's still steep.

For U of Washington, I still need $83,740. For Boston U, $58,828 (including their scholarship). For Portland St, $51,588.

None of the schools have mentioned anything about TAships or anything like that yet. But will that even make a dent on those staggering figures?

On top of that, some schools say the financial aid package won't be finalized until after I accept their offer. For me, accepting their offer = taking on this debt. That's tough!

Please share any insights you have on grad school finances. What is your tolerance for debt? What will you pay an arm and a leg for?

How DO people afford this stuff? I was just doing some estimates and it looks like it's going to cost an arm and a leg for the next 2 years. I have a bit of money saved up but it's still steep.

For U of Washington, I still need $83,740. For Boston U, $58,828 (including their scholarship). For Portland St, $51,588.

None of the schools have mentioned anything about TAships or anything like that yet. But will that even make a dent on those staggering figures?

On top of that, some schools say the financial aid package won't be finalized until after I accept their offer. For me, accepting their offer = taking on this debt. That's tough!

Please share any insights you have on grad school finances. What is your tolerance for debt? What will you pay an arm and a leg for?

woahhh where did the $83,740 come from for Washington?? Are you doing the Core or the Med?

Yep, pretty much. At this point I've just accepted that I'm going to be in debt forever. At least we're going into a field where getting a job out of graduate school is assured...? If anyone has gems of wisdom, they'd be appreciated.

I'm looking at ~$70k, total cost of attendance. I've already committed to choosing one of the Boston schools because my husband accepted a job there and we're already making the moving preparations. I'm eliminating BU because it was super expensive, I didn't get a scholarship, and I'm just not really attracted to that program. I really want to do MGH, but if by some miracle a significant amount of funding came through for Emerson, I could be swayed.

I'm just accepting that there will be debt, and that's what happens when you do a professional program that leads into a career. Doctors have debt, lawyers have debt, PTs have debt... it's an investment. (That's not to say I wouldn't love to NOT have to pay this huge amount.)

I'm looking at ~$70k, total cost of attendance. I've already committed to choosing one of the Boston schools because my husband accepted a job there and we're already making the moving preparations. I'm eliminating BU because it was super expensive, I didn't get a scholarship, and I'm just not really attracted to that program. I really want to do MGH, but if by some miracle a significant amount of funding came through for Emerson, I could be swayed.

I'm just accepting that there will be debt, and that's what happens when you do a professional program that leads into a career. Doctors have debt, lawyers have debt, PTs have debt... it's an investment. (That's not to say I wouldn't love to NOT have to pay this huge amount.)

Yeah, I agree with the investment in education for sure. It is just irritating because my tightwad father (whom I really do love dearly...except on this issue) is convinced that the cheapest program=the best program. And it doesn't help when my doctor mother points out that yearly tuition for med school "in her day" was just over $2,000.

For my dream, I'm probably looking at $70-80k. I'm not completely sure about cost of living right now though. I might be able to save a few pennies if I choose to live in a cardboard box and eat ramen and Spam for two years...

I am looking into BU and MGH as my final two I have just decided... although even deciding to say no to any of the schools is hard. Have you visited either BU or MGH yet?

Yeah, I agree with the investment in education for sure. It is just irritating because my tightwad father (whom I really do love dearly...except on this issue) is convinced that the cheapest program=the best program. And it doesn't help when my doctor mother points out that yearly tuition for med school "in her day" was just over $2,000.

For my dream, I'm probably looking at $70-80k. I'm not completely sure about cost of living right now though. I might be able to save a few pennies if I choose to live in a cardboard box and eat ramen and Spam for two years...

There's a part of me that, even though I'm disappointed that I didn't get funding, is glad that I don't have to make the difficult decision between a more expensive program with a better reputation and a lower cost program that I might not think was as good a fit for me.

I am looking into BU and MGH as my final two I have just decided... although even deciding to say no to any of the schools is hard. Have you visited either BU or MGH yet?

Unfortunately I won't be able to visit. Too far away, too much work and school. I did have a really good phone conversation with a current second year student at MGH, and that was really helpful. I'm trying to find someone at Emerson who might do the same.

I ALMOST sent in my 'decline' card to BU today, but I couldn't bring myself to do it yet. I officially declined my offer from Rush, and it was hard even though I knew moving to Chicago isn't even an option anymore.

Unfortunately I won't be able to visit. Too far away, too much work and school. I did have a really good phone conversation with a current second year student at MGH, and that was really helpful. I'm trying to find someone at Emerson who might do the same.

I ALMOST sent in my 'decline' card to BU today, but I couldn't bring myself to do it yet. I officially declined my offer from Rush, and it was hard even though I knew moving to Chicago isn't even an option anymore.

Oh that is a really good idea having a chat with someone who is there, how did you set that up?

Maddie,

Have you checked your status on loyola's application website? I have and it still says "under review by committee".

I am going to visit Gallaudet this week in the event that I do get accepted off the waitlist...If for some reason I don't like it as much as towson, I will remove my name to give others a better chance :)

Seriously, goodluck!

Steph: Where does it say 'under review'? After I log in, it says 'online application submitted' ... hmm! Gallaudet is nice, but definitely different than Towson. Depending on your interests, you may or may not like Gallaudet. best of luck!

There's a part of me that, even though I'm disappointed that I didn't get funding, is glad that I don't have to make the difficult decision between a more expensive program with a better reputation and a lower cost program that I might not think was as good a fit for me.

Yuuuuuuuuup. That's exactly where I am right now...well I guess I don't know without a visit if it's a good fit or not, but making this decision is soooooo hard.

Is UM your top choice? I'm from Missoula originally and was considering their program but didn't apply for various reasons. Are you wanting to stay or go somewhere new?

No UM is probably not my top choice. I mean the program is only 3 years old and its kind of still disorganized. But the in state tuition would be so cheap for me and I have built up some good relationships in the professors and other students. I can't decide what's more important to me.

Contact Marjorie Nicholas. She has a list of students who have volunteered to talk to prospectives.

Have you visited?

No but I'm planning on going to the open house so hopefully that will solidify my leanings towards MGH!

No UM is probably not my top choice. I mean the program is only 3 years old and its kind of still disorganized. But the in state tuition would be so cheap for me and I have built up some good relationships in the professors and other students. I can't decide what's more important to me.

I have a friend who's an SLP in Missoula and a friend who's doing her post-bacc at UM... The SLP told me that the UM grad students she's had with her in clinic have been terribly unprepared and frustrated when they do their clinic hours (because the program doesn't prepare them well). The friend in the post-bacc has done multiple clinic observation hours with SLPs around Montana and one of them said she was great, they loved her, and they would LOVE to hire her "as long as she didn't go to UM for grad school." (Because they have had such bad experience with UM SLP masters grads being so ill-prepared).

I love Missoula and would love to go to school there, but when I heard this, I figured the program needs a few more years to get up to par. I don't mean to tell you what to do OR say bad things about a school that's trying hard to get their program off the ground... but if you have other options, they might be better for you...

All that said, you know what's best for you. I just wanted to give you the info I had access to. Also, since you're in Missoula now, you might have a WAY better idea of how things are...

I have a friend who's an SLP in Missoula and a friend who's doing her post-bacc at UM... The SLP told me that the UM grad students she's had with her in clinic have been terribly unprepared and frustrated when they do their clinic hours (because the program doesn't prepare them well). The friend in the post-bacc has done multiple clinic observation hours with SLPs around Montana and one of them said she was great, they loved her, and they would LOVE to hire her "as long as she didn't go to UM for grad school." (Because they have had such bad experience with UM SLP masters grads being so ill-prepared).

I love Missoula and would love to go to school there, but when I heard this, I figured the program needs a few more years to get up to par. I don't mean to tell you what to do OR say bad things about a school that's trying hard to get their program off the ground... but if you have other options, they might be better for you...

All that said, you know what's best for you. I just wanted to give you the info I had access to. Also, since you're in Missoula now, you might have a WAY better idea of how things are...

Thank you very much for that information, I really do appreciate it!

I do think I want to come back to MT to work after grad school and I was thinking that going to UM would help, but it looks like the new program's reputation wouldn't really benefit me much at this point in time. I know the department has been making some huge changes and is really working hard, but the more I think about it, the less I want to risk it. The need for SLPs in our state is so great I'm sure I could find a job easily even if I went out of state.

I suppose this moves Oregon, Western Washington, and Redlands up my list...

PS I saw that you've applied to Oregon as well, you should check your online application to the main grad school, it appears they've posted decisions there although there hasn't been an official letter/email yet!

Have you decided on a school just yet?

MGH

Emerson

BU

St. Xavier

Rush

Northwestern

U of Minnesota

PSU

George Washington

9 applications, 6 of them CSDCAS. I have a feeling the decisions are going to take an extra-long time at the CSDCAS schools due to the aching slowness of the processing.

I had a lot of frustrations with CSDCAS.

Has any one either applied or heard anything about the University of Georgia??

I haven't heard anything yet either. I do know that they only send a letter, so we won't see anything online...

Hi,

I thought that I would weigh in on the Gallaudet topic. I did my SLP MS there, and am now doing my CF and applying for PhDs. I saw the poster that wrote "you will hate your life." (Not sure who it is, but we probably know each other!) It's true... you will hate your life a little bit. But I think that SLP is such a broad field, with so much to cover, that in any worthwhile program, you will hate it a bit sometimes because it can get insane. And that's not to say that there aren't things that I didn't like about Gally. There are a couple supervisors and professors that need to go. But overall, I would go there again. I got a good education, a good job afterward, and best of all, it was free. Even if you don't get financial aid/scholarships, the cost is so reasonable. It is not worth taking out tons of loans for an SLP program, IMO. If you're interested in ASL and Deaf culture, that's great, but there are also plenty of people in the program who end up doing things completely unrelated to deafness.