SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I just found out that I got accepted into Bloomsburg University too.. Yay!!!

Now I'm really confused because I don't know what to pick between the two. They both have excellent programs but the cost is way different. Emerson has more expensive tuition, not to mention the cost of living in Boston is wayyyy expensive. I'm torn though coz even though Bloom is cheaper, I feel like getting into Emerson is such an honor and I really do love its program. I don't expect to get any funding from both schools, so that's already out of the question.

I would just like to ask how you guys are basing your decisions? Do you just look at the program or the do you weigh in the cost?

Can someone here fill me in on your opinions on both programs and basically on anything.. help!!!!

edit.. getting into ANY school is an honor! i never thought i would have the chance to pick, i am just so happy right now!

Edited by messybrownhair

I agree. Any offer is something to be proud of. I only have one acceptance so far and received two rejections today, but it is what it is and I will be be very happy at UTK (one of my top choices!)

I just found out that I got accepted into Bloomsburg University too.. Yay!!!

Now I'm really confused because I don't know what to pick between the two. They both have excellent programs but the cost is way different. Emerson has more expensive tuition, not to mention the cost of living in Boston is wayyyy expensive. I'm torn though coz even though Bloom is cheaper, I feel like getting into Emerson is such an honor and I really do love its program. I don't expect to get any funding from both schools, so that's already out of the question.

I would just like to ask how you guys are basing your decisions? Do you just look at the program or the do you weigh in the cost?

Can someone here fill me in on your opinions on both programs and basically on anything.. help!!!!

edit.. getting into ANY school is an honor! i never thought i would have the chance to pick, i am just so happy right now!

congratulations! That is awesome! How did Bloom contact you? email? letter? I'm still waiting :(

I am looking very seriously at BU too, I just don't know! My top two are BU and MGH and I'm going to visit them next weekend. Where you a communications disorders undergrad? I wasn't so I feel like I don't have as much as an idea of what I need to be looking into or asking about. Do you have any idea what type of SLP or environment you want to work in?

I'm currently a comm. disorders undergrad at University of Washington, Seattle (where I was also accepted, MedSLP, but I'd really like to get a feel for a new school). I'm so jealous, I wish I could visit! The money and taking time off school are making going to the open house pretty much out of the question, but everyone that I've talked to there has been so nice and helpful that I'm hoping I can get a good enough feel to make my decision just from chatting with current students, etc.

Currently I'd like to do neuro rehab with adults, specifically in a VA or at least in a hospital but, of course, who knows how my interests will change after getting some clinical experience. That's partly why I'm very interested in BU -- it seems like a really good program for someone with strong interests in rehab, especially given the proximity to so many amazing hospitals. The list of potential practicum sites made me dro-o-o-ol. :) What about you?

They haven't sent out letters yet.. I sent an email coz I was desperate! Email Heather, the secretary! :) Hope you get in too!!!!

Oh, Heather! She is such a sweet woman haha. Thanks for the update! Congratulations again!! :)

Silly question, but I'm going to an Open House next weekend and have never been to one before. I RSVPed for myself and my mom as my guest. Is it weird to bring a parent with you?

I don't think it's weird. I know I'd probably bring my mom if I was going to an open house event. No sig other and no friends who are really into sitting around learning about my program that they have no interest in, so mom all the way! I'd say bring whomever you feel most comfortable with, especially if you are looking for opinions about the program. You want someone who is truthful and has your best interest at heart.

I vote moms!

edit: sorry dad!! :unsure:

Edited by squaresquared

Silly question, but I'm going to an Open House next weekend and have never been to one before. I RSVPed for myself and my mom as my guest. Is it weird to bring a parent with you?

I went to an open house in January for a school (just to check it out, before any applications were even due) and there was only 1 person who brought her parent. I think its completely acceptable, just not sure how many people will bring them. My dad is coming with me to some open houses, but he is just going to roam around the city/campus while I'm at the event.

When anyone found anything from Emerson, was it online first or did you get the letter?

I had the "enrollment deposit" link, which was a clue, but they didn't post the decision on eCommons until after they sent me the letter.

I don't think it's weird. I know I'd probably bring my mom if I was going to an open house event. No sig other and no friends who are really into sitting around learning about my program that they have no interest in, so mom all the way! I'd say bring whomever you feel most comfortable with, especially if you are looking for opinions about the program. You want someone who is truthful and has your best interest at heart.

I vote moms!

edit: sorry dad!! :unsure:

I agree, I want to be able to talk to someone about it and help me sort out my thought processes. She also wants to see the campus herself and hear about the program because my parents have concerns that the area is not safe (Memphis) and I figure there's no way she'd know unless she went with me.

Lol ok glad I'm not the only one! I know my mom won't understand half the stuff that's going on, and I'm sure if she wants to skip out on stuff she can leave or whatever.

No worries! I'm bringing my mom to one of my open houses (she's a nurse and will probably geek out over all the medical talk anyway). There was a mom at another open house I attended and it was cool.

Hey Katie, I don't think it's weird to bring a parent with you. BUT! I have been to open houses where there are ANNOYING parents who ask SO MANY QUESTIONS about money, housing options, etc. and it just gets irritating because we are graduate students, it is time to let us out of the nest a little, parents! :D So, as long as your mom isn't going to be like that, yay for moms!

Edited by Daniela

Hey Katie, I don't think it's weird to bring a parent with you. BUT! I have been to open houses where there are ANNOYING parents who ask SO MANY QUESTIONS about money, housing options, etc. and it just gets irritating because we are graduate students, it is time to let us out of the nest a little, parents! :D So, as long as your mom isn't going to be like that, yay for moms!

Hahahahaha my own mom hates those moms so that won't be a problem!

Haha mine too! I just don't understand why parents (or anyone) asks questions at open houses when they aren't the ones who are going to be attending the school, it is really irritating to me... lol

Hahahahaha my own mom hates those moms so that won't be a problem!

Haha mine too! I just don't understand why parents (or anyone) asks questions at open houses when they aren't the ones who are going to be attending the school, it is really irritating to me... lol

Agreed! The mom at the last one I attended just chilled and listened to the profs' spiels. That was nice. And when we did clinic tours she went somewhere to read.

I'm currently a comm. disorders undergrad at University of Washington, Seattle (where I was also accepted, MedSLP, but I'd really like to get a feel for a new school). I'm so jealous, I wish I could visit! The money and taking time off school are making going to the open house pretty much out of the question, but everyone that I've talked to there has been so nice and helpful that I'm hoping I can get a good enough feel to make my decision just from chatting with current students, etc.

Currently I'd like to do neuro rehab with adults, specifically in a VA or at least in a hospital but, of course, who knows how my interests will change after getting some clinical experience. That's partly why I'm very interested in BU -- it seems like a really good program for someone with strong interests in rehab, especially given the proximity to so many amazing hospitals. The list of potential practicum sites made me dro-o-o-ol. :) What about you?

I definitely understand the difficulties of visiting the schools, I wish I could make it to them all! I am lucky though that my top two schools are only a 6 hour drive away, actually all of them are except for Northwestern which keeps nagging me.

I am a year out of college and was a Linguistics and Spanish major, education minor. I have had experiences interning for and shadowing different SLPs and was most recently a first grade teacher in Guatemala. Since I wasn't a CSD undergrad I haven't really had enough exposure and knowledge to decide about what kind of SLP I want to be but I know that I love and am good at working with children. So that is definitely something I want to pursue and would want to try out both clinical and school settings. But I also want a school that lets me explore different settings and populations which is why I like both BU and MGH so much. The biggest pluses to MGH are that they are offering me a bit more money and after taking 3 more pre-reqs this summer (online, since I can't move to Boston until the fall) I will be able to start right in on the regular grad student path and BU still has 3 more classes that I would need to take next summer which is strange because I'll be starting with out "pre" requisites and because it will prolong getting my degree aka more money. So I'm kind of hoping that I'll go to visit and feel great about MGH and sure it is right for me otherwise I am really going to have a hard choice!

Has anyone scheduled a visit to their acceptance schools on their own? Like not during a prearranged open house? I'd really like to visit 3 or 4 of the schools I was accepted to over my spring break but trying to coordinate it has been a nightmare since two of the schools are on spring break. Plus one of the schools acted sort of shocked when I asked if I could visit, the secretary said she'd have to talk to some faculty to see if they "did that sort of thing".

This seems to be turning into a giant pain but I think it'd be really valuable to get a hands on perspective of the schools before I make my final decision.

I guess I'm just feeling extra overwhelmed today.

I e-mailed a school asking if they had an accepted graduate student day, and I never received a response! Everything they sent me concerned undergrads.

Has anyone scheduled a visit to their acceptance schools on their own? Like not during a prearranged open house? I'd really like to visit 3 or 4 of the schools I was accepted to over my spring break but trying to coordinate it has been a nightmare since two of the schools are on spring break. Plus one of the schools acted sort of shocked when I asked if I could visit, the secretary said she'd have to talk to some faculty to see if they "did that sort of thing".

This seems to be turning into a giant pain but I think it'd be really valuable to get a hands on perspective of the schools before I make my final decision.

I guess I'm just feeling extra overwhelmed today.