SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Personally, I would lean towards the programs with fewer students. If the reason the first program has so many students is simply because they overaccepted, then the program/classes/clinical placements might not be designed for or used to so many students which could affect your experience even more than programs that are built to accept that many students. It could also hinder the amount of one on one interaction between faculty and students, which I think is something that's really important in grad school...and clinical placements might even be cramped which definitely wouldn't be any fun. I'm not sure how opposed you are to moving (I know I actually WANT to move :P ), so if it really is a huge factor in your decision i don't think 60 students is really a HUGE deal..I know some programs do admit a lot more students than others, but I have always favored the smaller programs because I think in our field the attention we get as grad students makes a huge difference! Just my two cents! Good luck with your decision! :)

Thanks so much for your advice!! I agree that a program that isn't used to that many students will struggle. I talked to the advisor at the school today and she is hoping that people will back out. I'm just going to wait until they announce TA positions and see if that will sway my opinion. My boyfriend is here and has a job so I don't want to leave or ask him to move for me. But I am willing to move to go to a better program. I definitely think a smaller program is better than a big one, I just need to figure out how big of a factor it is for me. Like I said, thanks so much for your advice, it was really helpful! :)

If you don't mind, can you share what program overaccepted applicants? thanks

EWU over accepted and they are a combined program with WSU who already has 25 students so it is probably going to be a pretty big program. They didn't realize so many people would accept to EWU.

Congrats on the acceptance!! I noticed you applied to one other program, but is this your first choice? Waiting on one more, but if I don't get in then I'll definitely be attending NAU.

Thank you!! WKU is my first choice because they are completely online. I'm a working SLPA so I'd love to continue working through the summer if I can but I am definitely excited about NAU!

Does anyone know if Governors State University gives assistant-ships?

I do know that they have graduate assistants in the CDIS department. But I'm not sure how many. And I'm not sure how much of tuition is waived either. But their tuition is definitely among the cheapest I've seen in Illinois.

Do you guys have any thoughts about visiting schools that you have been waitlisted to? I'm kind of toying with the idea, partly so that I will be ready to accept quickly if I do manage to get off the waitlist, and partly in the hopes that it will help my chances by showing that I really have interest in the school. But I'm not sure...I could see that maybe it could help me, because like I said it would show my interest. But I can also imagine that they would see through whyI was visiting and they might be annoyed that I was taking up their time. Or otherwise it wouldn't be positive or negative...and it just wouldn't do anything at all to help me, and I would end up wasting time and money when I don't get off the waitlist.

Opinions?

Do you guys have any thoughts about visiting schools that you have been waitlisted to? I'm kind of toying with the idea, partly so that I will be ready to accept quickly if I do manage to get off the waitlist, and partly in the hopes that it will help my chances by showing that I really have interest in the school. But I'm not sure...I could see that maybe it could help me, because like I said it would show my interest. But I can also imagine that they would see through whyI was visiting and they might be annoyed that I was taking up their time. Or otherwise it wouldn't be positive or negative...and it just wouldn't do anything at all to help me, and I would end up wasting time and money when I don't get off the waitlist.

Opinions?

That's a hard one. I visited Madison (not the school, just the town) when I was in admissions limbo and had a really hard time being there not knowing what was going to happen. While I had a feeling I wasn't going to be accepted, I had a hard enjoying myself. I had a nagging feeling in my head that I shouldn't enjoy myself too much, because I didn't want to get attached and get disappointed.

I agree with you that visiting might work in your favor. Are you close to St. Xavier or would this require you paying a lot on gas or a plane ticket?

Do you have a professor you could ask about this? Some insider information would probably be more helpful than anything we have to say on here!

Opinions?

You might e-mail and try and find out if they can give you a relative position on the wait list. I know one school that wait listed me said if I get in, I'll have 48 hours to decide. If that's the case across the board, it would probably be wise to visit before you find out, just in case.

Edited by badgerslp

Opinions?

Their open house is on April 5 from 1-3pm. Maybe, you could just call and ask if you could visit during that period? I doubt they'd say no. And if they didn't have to plan anything special for you, then you won't have to be worried about annoying them or taking up their time.

Edited by SLP19

Their open house is on April 5 from 1-3pm. Maybe, you could just call and ask if you could visit during that period? I doubt they'd say no. And if they didn't have to plan anything special for you, then you won't have to be worried about annoying them or taking up their time.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll try to look into that.

just got accepted into the 15 month program at university of the pacific in stockton!! Anyone else? Anyone have some info about the program? I'm very excited although I know it's pricey...

I just got accepted to the 24 month program. I don't know much about the program now (other than that it's expensive!), but I'll probably attend the open house on April 13. If you're unable to attend, I'm happy to let you know my impressions.

I can't believe it's almost April and I still haven't heard back from half of the programs I applied to! It's so frustrating that I will have less than 2 weeks to make a fully informed decision...

I can't believe it's almost April and I still haven't heard back from half of the programs I applied to! It's so frustrating that I will have less than 2 weeks to make a fully informed decision...

Right!?! I mean I have basically made my decision (got into one of my top choices, wait listed at #1) but it is still really annoying that I have yet to hear from four of my schools. I actually find it a little disrespectful on their part. I understand that virtually all programs received "record numbers of applicants" and that they want to make informed and thoughtful decisions but this is getting a little ridiculous, the least they could do is email everyone to tell them that decisions are still being made and to expect an email/letter/phone call by [ insert date here]. We have deadlines not only to apply but also to inform schools. It is only fair that THEY have them too.

So, since things aren't looking so good for me (rejected at 5 out of the 6 schools I've applied to, waiting on one) I've decided that I need to start working on my next plan of action.

Does anyone know of which schools may have a late admission? I've heard rumors of June and July deadlines. Also, which schools/programs have spring admissions? I am not restricted to a certain geographic area. Schools that accept lower GPAs and GRE scores a plus.

So, since things aren't looking so good for me (rejected at 5 out of the 6 schools I've applied to, waiting on one) I've decided that I need to start working on my next plan of action.

Does anyone know of which schools may have a late admission? I've heard rumors of June and July deadlines. Also, which schools/programs have spring admissions? I am not restricted to a certain geographic area. Schools that accept lower GPAs and GRE scores a plus.

I think I've asked you this before but remind me (it will help us answer your question) are you a background student or not?

I think I've asked you this before but remind me (it will help us answer your question) are you a background student or not?

Yes, I'll be graduating in May with my BS in Communicative Disorders (from URI)

Sorry to hear about this Sunny Wade :( You still have one left to hear from and I hope for the best..

The only school I can think of off the top of my head that offers Spring admission is UCF. I think deadlines are Oct. 1st or sometime around there. I didn't get in there for Summer admission and I have okay #s, but I also don't have the prereqs and little to no experience in the field. I think #s aren't quite as important there, so having a background in CSD will be to your benefit along with any other related experience you can add. Also, Spring doesn't have quite as many applicants.

I'm sure there are more programs offering Spring admssion, it's just a matter of finding out which ones. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

It's not a June/July deadline, but George Washington University emailed me a couple weeks ago saying they extended their deadline to April 15th.

Also, I know Cal State Fullerton has spring admissions.

Edited by leesta

Yes, I'll be graduating in May with my BS in Communicative Disorders (from URI)

Marquette has spring admissions but only on a need to fill basis (ie not a full class size) so it is a bit of a hard ticket. I think Valdosta State in Georgia accepts students every semester and University of District Columbia has a really late deadline. In terms of low GRE/GPA I heard rumors that both Valdosta and UDC are easier to get into. NOVA is supposed to be easier too but they are rolling and they accept several semesters out (I have yet to get an interview and I applied in December).

However, in addition to applying to other schools you really need to figure out WHY you didn't get in the first time and what you can do to change that. I'm not trying to be mean but this is my second (kinda I was a non background the first time) go round and it was improving my GRE scores, getting more volunteer work, getting research experience etc that made the biggest difference. I would contact a few of the schools you didn't get into (especially ones you would consider applying to again) and ask how you could make yourself a stronger candidate.

Have you been on the AHSA ed find website? http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Masters/MastersSearchResults.aspx it will list schools and their admit dates. A lot of there info is out of date (things like ave GPA/GRE) but it is a good place to start. Best of luck!

UT Dallas has spring and summer admissions (although the summer deadline might have been the same as fall).

Thank you!! WKU is my first choice because they are completely online. I'm a working SLPA so I'd love to continue working through the summer if I can but I am definitely excited about NAU!

Not totally online! WKU does have a required on-campus summer bootcamp, before you can complete your externships.

Supposedly Tech is mailing out decisions at the end of this week.

just got accepted into the 15 month program at university of the pacific in stockton!! Anyone else? Anyone have some info about the program? I'm very excited although I know it's pricey...

I looked into the program because I really liked the accelerated thing, and I feel like the program itself is decent. I was a little worried about whether they truly covered everything in the shorter time frame, but obviously it's accredited and seems to get it all in! Honestly though, the thing that turned me off was the location. I don't know where you're from, but Stockton is kind of a mess of a city in terms of crime rates, quality of life ratings, etc... I kept on seeing it on those "most miserable cities" list. Maybe I spook too easily, but that was kind of a turnoff to me and ultimately I decided I didn't want to live there. I'm definitely not trying to be negative, just encourage you to research the city in addition to the program! I'm sure parts of the city are fine :).

I looked into the program because I really liked the accelerated thing, and I feel like the program itself is decent. I was a little worried about whether they truly covered everything in the shorter time frame, but obviously it's accredited and seems to get it all in! Honestly though, the thing that turned me off was the location. I don't know where you're from, but Stockton is kind of a mess of a city in terms of crime rates, quality of life ratings, etc... I kept on seeing it on those "most miserable cities" list. Maybe I spook too easily, but that was kind of a turnoff to me and ultimately I decided I didn't want to live there. I'm definitely not trying to be negative, just encourage you to research the city in addition to the program! I'm sure parts of the city are fine :).

Thank you so much for your input! I'm sort of familiar with Stockton so I definitely see what you mean about the area being undesirable. I just felt I had to apply given the fact that I would be an slp that much faster and, I can live anywhere for 15 months, right? I never expected to get in, I figured they would be more competitive given the acceleration of the program. I'll probably try to go to the open house and check it out. Part of me is nervous that 15 months isn't enough time to become a competent slp? I'm not so sure but at this point in time it's just nice to have an acceptance :)

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what the difference between a Masters of Arts in Speech pathology and a Masters of Science in Speech Pathology is? I find it confusing when one school with basically the same program is an MA and another is MS.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what the difference between a Masters of Arts in Speech pathology and a Masters of Science in Speech Pathology is? I find it confusing when one school with basically the same program is an MA and another is MS.

Thanks!

There is really no difference and it should have no effect on your qualifications for any job in the field. For many schools it has to do with where the program is within the university (in my undergrad school it was in the College of Arts and Sciences so it was an MA...so is a degree in neuroscience (BA, rather than BS) so it really has little to do with content). Some schools have the program within the school of education and grant M.Ed...it doesn't really affect much of anything and shouldn't have any weight in deciding where to go to school--just pick the program with the best overall fit for you! :)