SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Does anyone have experience on withdrawing an application from a program? I am still waiting to hear back from Central, but I committed to IU yesterday (woo!). While part of me wants to hear back either way because I spent $95 applying to their program, I do not want to waste their time. Is this something I should email the graduate chair about? The graduate secretary?

Does anyone have experience on withdrawing an application from a program? I am still waiting to hear back from Central, but I committed to IU yesterday (woo!). While part of me wants to hear back either way because I spent $95 applying to their program, I do not want to waste their time. Is this something I should email the graduate chair about? The graduate secretary?

Congrats on all your acceptances! It must feel good to have commited to a school already. I think the polite thing to do, unfortunately, is withdraw your application from Central so that another applicant can take your spot. You could probably call the graduate secretary and ask her how to go about doing that. Also, a $95 application fee? That does seem kind of ridiculous... I can understand why you'd want to wait for a decision =)

Congrats on all your acceptances! It must feel good to have commited to a school already. I think the polite thing to do, unfortunately, is withdraw your application from Central so that another applicant can take your spot. You could probably call the graduate secretary and ask her how to go about doing that. Also, a $95 application fee? That does seem kind of ridiculous... I can understand why you'd want to wait for a decision =)

Thank you, GandalfTheGrey! I emailed their graduate secretary (I thought maybe it would be best for them to have something in writing for my file) stating that I accepted an admissions offer and ask that my application be withdrawn if a decision has not been rendered at this point in time. And yes, $95 was a hard pill to swallow. Thanks, CSDCAS!

Well, the process is officially over for me. What a relief!

Is anyone else have helluva time making a decision? I thought I had it mostly figured out until East Tennessee called (then emailed) this morning and threw a wrench in the entire plan. Not that I'm complaining(!), but it's making the decision that much more difficult. If anyone can offer their personal insight or experience into NAU, ETSU and St. Cloud, any little bit would help.

Well, I need some advice. This morning I was accepted to teach English abroad next year through the Fulbright program. I've also been accepted to my top choice school, where their website says they do not allow deferrals. Definitely did not expect both to happen.

Anybody have any guidance, thoughts, wisdom, 2 cents, etc, etc?

Well, the process is officially over for me. What a relief!

Is anyone else have helluva time making a decision? I thought I had it mostly figured out until East Tennessee called (then emailed) this morning and threw a wrench in the entire plan. Not that I'm complaining(!), but it's making the decision that much more difficult. If anyone can offer their personal insight or experience into NAU, ETSU and St. Cloud, any little bit would help.

I did my post bacc at NAU and I love it here. The area is beautiful and there is a lot to do. The program has a good reputation and I have liked all of the professors that I've had classes with. Good luck with your decision! I'm also struggling with making a decision right now. I was set on NAU until I got a funding offer from UWyo.

Hi everyone. Is anyone going to University of Pittsburgh's open house on April 2nd? I'm feeling really nervous about it. Most of the students and professors at the school where I'm currently working on my post bacc classes have a REALLY negative opinion about Pitt; they think everyone there is pretentious and views other programs as being "below" them. They're my top choice, but after hearing so many negative opinions I'm afraid I won't like it. Anyone ever visitied their program or have an opnion about them?

Well, I need some advice. This morning I was accepted to teach English abroad next year through the Fulbright program. I've also been accepted to my top choice school, where their website says they do not allow deferrals. Definitely did not expect both to happen.

Wow, congratulations! Those are wonderful accomplishments!

This is definitely a huge, very personal decision for you. It also probably depends a lot on what stage of life you are in. For example, I've already been out of university for several years and have spent more than a year abroad, so at this point in my life, I would want to start my graduate studies now rather than postponing them for a year. If I was younger and hadn't had those experiences, though, I would definitely want to take advantage of the year abroad.

The Fulbright is definitely a tremendous opportunity. If it's something you want to do, it might be worth the pain of potentially having to reapply to grad schools for when you return. If you did have to re-apply, I suspect that having the Fulbright on your resume would greatly enhance your chances of being admitted (again!).

I'm sorry I don't have better advice to offer, but I do wish you lots of clarity in your decision!

Fulbright all the way! That's Is an incredible opportunity and the poster above is right ... Thats something that will jump off your resume. I would send the institution a letter or contact director and ask if they would make an exception for u if not send them a letter in writing that that is your top school how hard of a decision this is for u and that you will reapply and hopefully be apart of their program in the future.. Again wow I'm so jealous and good luck with everything!

Hi everyone. Is anyone going to University of Pittsburgh's open house on April 2nd? I'm feeling really nervous about it. Most of the students and professors at the school where I'm currently working on my post bacc classes have a REALLY negative opinion about Pitt; they think everyone there is pretentious and views other programs as being "below" them. They're my top choice, but after hearing so many negative opinions I'm afraid I won't like it. Anyone ever visitied their program or have an opnion about them?

I don't know anything about Pitt, but I have to say that you're definitely making the right decision by going to the open house. There really is no way to tell what a school is like until you visit. I was sure I was going to a certain school until I went to their open house. I feel like you will definitely know how you feel about the school, even if you're only there for a few hours. Good luck! I know it's a great school. I hope you like it!

I did my post bacc at NAU and I love it here. The area is beautiful and there is a lot to do. The program has a good reputation and I have liked all of the professors that I've had classes with. Good luck with your decision! I'm also struggling with making a decision right now. I was set on NAU until I got a funding offer from UWyo.

Thank you for the input! NAU is my first choice in terms of the actual school and reputation, but the only think holding me back is cost. It's the most expensive program of the three and I've been searching around on Craigslist, Hotpads, etc. and the cost of living is wayyyy more than I'm used to. St. Cloud has the cheapest tuition of all three and is insanely affordable in regards to housing. Johnson City is notoriously cheap on living cost too. It's actually been ranked the 15th most affordable place to live in the US.

In terms of culture, Flagstaff suits me very well with the array of outdoor activities, but I also grew up playing Bluegrass fiddle and banjo, so East Tennessee is like a cultural Mecca for me. I've been dying for the opportunity to move to that area since I was 7. I have until April 15th for all the schools, so I'm going to spend the next few days making spreadsheets on cost, etc. and having intense conversations with anyone who will listen.

As for your dilemma, that is a tough one. In state tuition at NAU would be enticing but also the opportunity to have an assistantship and scholarship provided means U.Wyoming wants you pretty bad. I personally love Wyoming (I love less populated areas and breathtaking scenery) and wanted to apply there myself. I was discouraged because they didn't offer a 3 year program. Are you wanting to leave Arizona and try a new area?

I agree with the posters above. Take the Fulbright program and speak directly with the graduate school to see if they can make an exception about deferment as your case is special. Rules are made so that they don't have to defer anyone who merely wants to defer. It doesn't mean that they can't bend them now and then. And if they don't defer you, then apply again. There are many graduate programs, and they are not going anywhere. Don't pass up the Fulbright opportunity.

Visit the program and make up your own mind. Everyone has an opinion, and you have to feel what's right for you. Perhaps it is the people at your current school who have the warped perspective about Pitt!

Do you guys think there is absolutely anything you can do to increase your chances of getting in off of a waitlist? I have gotten into other programs so I can't complain too much, but was waitlisted at my first choice and would really, really like to go there both for the program itself and personal reasons regarding location, etc. Any thoughts on if there is anything that would help

?

Do you guys think there is absolutely anything you can do to increase your chances of getting in off of a waitlist? I have gotten into other programs so I can't complain too much, but was waitlisted at my first choice and would really, really like to go there both for the program itself and personal reasons regarding location, etc. Any thoughts on if there is anything that would help

?

I was also waitlisted at my first choice, so I sent them an email explaining that I was still interested and would be willing to accept if I was offered admission. I've also heard advice that you should ask why you weren't accepted (i.e. low GPA, no experience) and if they tell you, respond with ways you are changing those situations (working harder on GPA, finding more volunteer opportunities, etc). It doesn't hurt to at least email them and tell them that you're still interested. But personally, I wouldn't email them more than twice, because otherwise you're going to annoy the heck out of them. :rolleyes:

I have a program visit coming up and am wondering what to expect. It's a personalized visit, not a program open house. I, obviously, want to make a good impression and be enthusiatic whilst still being professional.

Does anyone have advice?

I agree with the posters above. Take the Fulbright program and speak directly with the graduate school to see if they can make an exception about deferment as your case is special. Rules are made so that they don't have to defer anyone who merely wants to defer. It doesn't mean that they can't bend them now and then. And if they don't defer you, then apply again. There are many graduate programs, and they are not going anywhere. Don't pass up the Fulbright opportunity.

SLP33 has excellent advice. See what you can do! That Fulbright can only help your application the next time around. I spent some time abroad teaching and it really has informed my SLP perspective. Congrats on getting that! Where are you going to be teaching?

Thank you for the input! NAU is my first choice in terms of the actual school and reputation, but the only think holding me back is cost. It's the most expensive program of the three and I've been searching around on Craigslist, Hotpads, etc. and the cost of living is wayyyy more than I'm used to. St. Cloud has the cheapest tuition of all three and is insanely affordable in regards to housing. Johnson City is notoriously cheap on living cost too. It's actually been ranked the 15th most affordable place to live in the US.

In terms of culture, Flagstaff suits me very well with the array of outdoor activities, but I also grew up playing Bluegrass fiddle and banjo, so East Tennessee is like a cultural Mecca for me. I've been dying for the opportunity to move to that area since I was 7. I have until April 15th for all the schools, so I'm going to spend the next few days making spreadsheets on cost, etc. and having intense conversations with anyone who will listen.

As for your dilemma, that is a tough one. In state tuition at NAU would be enticing but also the opportunity to have an assistantship and scholarship provided means U.Wyoming wants you pretty bad. I personally love Wyoming (I love less populated areas and breathtaking scenery) and wanted to apply there myself. I was discouraged because they didn't offer a 3 year program. Are you wanting to leave Arizona and try a new area?

Yeah, Flagstaff is a bit more expensive than what I was used to previously as well. It doesn't have to break the bank though. I've seen decent 2 bedroom townhouses for as low as 750 a month. I would just stay away from big apartments and focus on houses and smaller complexes. If you live near campus you really don't even need a car. Everything is so close. Let me know if you want any advice on where to look for cheaper housing. I can definitely see the appeal of cheap living though! It's painful thinking about how much money I'm going to owe when I graduate!

If I was unattached I would go to Wyoming in a second, but my boyfriend (We've lived together for over 3 years) is stuck at NAU for a while in the nursing program so I feel like I'm really choosing school over my relationship if I go to Wyoming. The department head at UWyo contacted me yesterday saying that they really wanted me at their program, so I'm going to talk to her tomorrow and hopefully clear some things up. Only 2 more weeks to figure things out!

Congratulations, badgerslp! I second what everyone else has said about picking the Fulbright program. If they won't let you defer, your Fulbright experiences will only strengthen your application next year. If you give up your spot at the program you're considering, you might also be making someone else's dream come true when they are taken off the waitlist.

Congrats!!! Having a vague idea of what school you're talking about, it's hard to say this, but I think I'd go with the Fulbright as well. Sometimes I kick myself for not taking a year before grad school and traveling abroad somewhere. Even if you can't defer, the experience will only further boost your resume and I would bet you'll get accepted to great programs again (you already got into at least one top program, without that extra experience, imagine your resume with it!) After grad school, you'll start your CFY and often that leads to a full-time job offer...this will make it difficult to take a year and travel/teach abroad and leave behind a salary. At this point, you're likely only sacrificing the pain, suffering, and expense of applying again, which, in my opinion, would be worth it for the experience. Grad school will always be there, this opportunity might not be available/as feasible in another 2-3 years.

Best of luck in your decision! I'm sure it's stressful now, but I think it's an excellent predicament to be stuck in--you have two amazing opportunities in front of you, you can't really go wrong either way! :)

Pitt was my second choice of the schools I accepted to and I still think I would have been very happy if I had ended up there. My supervisor went there and she is one of the best clinicians I've met--and she raves about the program! I've only heard good things about the program, but I think even the most well-reputed programs have the potential to be a not-so-great match for certain people...so much of it comes down to your own goals, personality, learning style, etc. So I'll echo the others who have suggested you attend the open house and get a feel for it yourself. Go in with an open mind and see if you can envision yourself in the program, and make sure they offer the things that are most important to you (whether it be research opportunities, coursework, clinical placement options, location, anything else that you feel is a priority). Good luck in your decision making! :)

SLP33 has excellent advice. See what you can do! That Fulbright can only help your application the next time around. I spent some time abroad teaching and it really has informed my SLP perspective. Congrats on getting that! Where are you going to be teaching?

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! I'll talk to my program next week and gather their thoughts on it. But if I do go with the Fulbright, I'd be teaching in Germany.

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone! I'll talk to my program next week and gather their thoughts on it. But if I do go with the Fulbright, I'd be teaching in Germany.

If you go to Germany, have a Beck's beer for me! :D Also, is that Liz Lemon in your photo?

Finally made a decision and it feels so good :) I decided to stay at the university I attend now, which is still so surprising because I really thought I was moving away. After visiting a few programs I realized I couldn't give up the opportunity to stay here. Funny how things work out.