SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Heard back from SDSU yesterday, got off the waitlist! And now I'm going crazy because I'm rethinking my decision and I have one day to reply with my answer.

UW - Awesome school, would love to study in the MedSLP program, great city, offered one in four scholarships (albeit very small) and a possible TA position

SDSU - A fraction of the UW cost, best school in CA, great location as well, being with the boyfriend and being able to get married sooner.

I know this is a very general outline of my situation, but any thoughts? I'm not too interested in research, but I understand the value of a highly ranked school, especially one like UW. I spoke with Dr. Barlow earlier this morning and got some more info about the program since I barely knew anything about it... based on what she said, it looks like a solid program as well.

Thought all the worrying/anxiety was over, but I guess not :(

Hi leesta,

It sounds like SDSU would be better for you on a personal level. Do you know if SDSU's program allows you to take electives that would give you more medical-based classes? Maybe by tweeking their program you can gain more on the med side without having to go to UW.

Still haven't heard from CSU Northridge, feeling like the only one.....anyone else out there still waiting for a reply?

Email Carla Romero at CSUN. She has been quick to respond to my questions. She could probably tell you if they are done with their waitlist.

Heard back from SDSU yesterday, got off the waitlist! And now I'm going crazy because I'm rethinking my decision and I have one day to reply with my answer.

UW - Awesome school, would love to study in the MedSLP program, great city, offered one in four scholarships (albeit very small) and a possible TA position

SDSU - A fraction of the UW cost, best school in CA, great location as well, being with the boyfriend and being able to get married sooner.

I know this is a very general outline of my situation, but any thoughts? I'm not too interested in research, but I understand the value of a highly ranked school, especially one like UW. I spoke with Dr. Barlow earlier this morning and got some more info about the program since I barely knew anything about it... based on what she said, it looks like a solid program as well.

If you can avoid a long distance relationship by going to school near your boyfriend, then do it (especially if that's the cheaper option!). LDRs suck :(

Congratulations! The weather is the BEST in SD! Especially for a sun-lover like me. XD

According to my own research during the application season, I definitely see the difference between UW's medical program in the way its coursework was designed.

I feel if you were determined to work in the medical field, it will prepare you better with the medical network.

SDSU clinical coordinator emailed me that they do offer medical placement, but I still see a heavy emphasis on the bilingual specialization not really the medical SLP.

But I'm confident you will shine no matter where you go. Keep us posted. =]

Thank you all for your sincere replies and advice. It was a grueling 24 hours but I've made my decision to withdraw from UW and attend SDSU! I really do feel at peace about it, and especially so now that I know for SURE that this admissions process is over. Whoohoo! :D

Thank you all for your sincere replies and advice. It was a grueling 24 hours but I've made my decision to withdraw from UW and attend SDSU! I really do feel at peace about it, and especially so now that I know for SURE that this admissions process is over. Whoohoo! :D

I am so happy for you! I'm sure you won't have regrets. I was waitlisted at SDSU as well and got an email this morning saying they aren't letting anyone else in. So you're a lucky one! Time to relax for a bit before the fun begins in the fall....

Marquette just emailed us remaining wait listers to tell us the program is full. At number 12 on the wait list I knew it was beyond a long shot that I would get in, but I am still slightly disappointed. At least I know for sure where I'll be going next year. Hard to imagine this time last year I was narrowing down my list of schools to apply to. I have started a NEU post on this site but have not had many responses. If you plan to attend Northeastern please join the discussion.

ps- anyone else not heard anything from St. Johns? I have not heard a word. I have a feeling my application was never registered as complete as I received multiple confusing emails from them and was never able to nail down if they got everything. Part of me is tempted to call them and part of me thinks it would be a waste of time (they were very hard to get in touch with and not all that helpful when I did).

I found out today that everyone who was selected from the SXU waitlist should have heard by Monday. There is still a chance that there will be a third round, but the person who I spoke to on the phone pretty much told me that if I had another option I should accept it...soooo, I guess that is what I will have to do. I know that I probably sound like a huge brat because of my other acceptances, but I can't help being really upset about it :( It is where I had pretty much had my heart set on going for about a year now.

I found out today that everyone who was selected from the SXU waitlist should have heard by Monday. There is still a chance that there will be a third round, but the person who I spoke to on the phone pretty much told me that if I had another option I should accept it...soooo, I guess that is what I will have to do. I know that I probably sound like a huge brat because of my other acceptances, but I can't help being really upset about it :( It is where I had pretty much had my heart set on going for about a year now.

audioenvy - dont get down, UTD is an awesome school. I'll be going there this fall also, and can't wait! their program is ranked #11 in the country, and there are SOO many things to do in DFW (im from fort worth). cheer up :)

audioenvy - dont get down, UTD is an awesome school. I'll be going there this fall also, and can't wait! their program is ranked #11 in the country, and there are SOO many things to do in DFW (im from fort worth). cheer up :)

Hey yall does anyone know of any less com;petive online prgrams for slp I really want to continue working and go to school online

Maybe NOVA but I think that is getting more competitive. Plus the wait is really long. I submitted my application in January (for the on campus program) and have yet to have my interview. Had I decided to go there I would have not been able to start until Jan 2013. In some ways I think that online programs are more competitive because they are just as small as traditional programs (if not smaller) and there are significantly fewer of them. Your best bet is to go to ASHA's ed find website to see what schools offer online programs then email the programs and ask about the stats for this years incoming class. Good luck!

again http://www.asha.org/edfind/search.aspx . I just don't know enough about the schools to help you more than that. I can tell you that the only schools I applied to that have spring entry are Marquette and Nova. Nova I already spoke on and Marquette only offers admission to people IF they have lost people from their cohort. Sorry that is not more helpful.

Is anyone still waiting to hear from San Jose? It is now May 1st and I have heard nothing. The theory that only rejections are going out now are not accurate because people are still being accepted. I could never have imagined that it would take this long. SIGH. If the department head gets bored and browses these forums I want him to know that I'll be the best student ever, I'll bring him coffee in the morning, fetch lunch, wash his car, pick up his dry cleaning :)

Is anyone still waiting to hear from San Jose? It is now May 1st and I have heard nothing. The theory that only rejections are going out now are not accurate because people are still being accepted. I could never have imagined that it would take this long. SIGH. If the department head gets bored and browses these forums I want him to know that I'll be the best student ever, I'll bring him coffee in the morning, fetch lunch, wash his car, pick up his dry cleaning :)

Have you contacted them? I only ask b/c when I applied two years ago they never told me anything and it was because they "never received" (I know for a FACT I sent it...express mail) my application. I didn't find this out until I called them. This also happened to two other people I know. It may be worth a phone call just to check.

note: I honestly don't recall if my application portal ever said anything about whether or not my application was complete. Regardless of what yours says I would still call them.

Thanks Norcal SLP. They switched to CSDCAS and I did receive an email that they have my application and it is "referred to graduate department". I sent them a message. I would love to know if anyone else there is in the same boat.

On another note: Has anyone on the waitlist heard from CSU East Bay?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to reach out to anyone attending UT Dallas this fall. I'm moving at the beginning of July and would love to meet my new classmates. Also, my fiance and I just worked with an awesome apartment locator/real estate agent to find our new place, and I'd be happy to refer you or make suggestions about where to live (we did a lot of searching before we decided!). Message me if you'd like!