SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Unfortunately all of those schools require the minimum 3.0 GPA to apply :(

She applied to GWU, Syracuse, Ithaca, and SF State. I know those are really good programs and this is a tough year...:(

Hello everyone!!

So i'm very nervous because my sister just told me that "oh yeah, someone callled you...it was from a wierd number that said they were admissions or something...they want you to call them back?" When I asked her who it was or what the number was all she can remember was that she thinks it was someone named Patty and that "Institute of Health Professions" rings a bell....and that's all I could get out of her!!! I applied to MGH so I called office of admissions and told them about "Patty" and they said they didn't know that name, but if it was important they will probably call back. soooo frustrating!! does anymore who got into MGH remember a Patty, lol. I still cannot wrap my head around how terrible my sister is at taking messages!!

My MGH call came from Pat Hook yesterday. 617-726-8028 - try that number!

Thanks everyone for your kind replies!

I know she has a higher GPA in her major (communications), I think a 3.2, or something around there. Also, she has some learning disabilities (ADD and dyscalculia) which impacted her early in her college career. Does anyone know if the schools will look at that as well? She's VERY worried, in particular about the essay issue...:/

Thanks everyone for your kind replies!

I know she has a higher GPA in her major (communications), I think a 3.2, or something around there. Also, she has some learning disabilities (ADD and dyscalculia) which impacted her early in her college career. Does anyone know if the schools will look at that as well? She's VERY worried, in particular about the essay issue...:/

For what it's worth, unless your sister used the cousin's name and personal details, I'm pretty certain she doesn't need permission to write about her. She's not her clinician and doesn't have a confidentiality arrangement.

For what it's worth, unless your sister used the cousin's name and personal details, I'm pretty certain she doesn't need permission to write about her. She's not her clinician and doesn't have a confidentiality arrangement.

Hi,

I think my sister did include her first name (we are cousins so we share the same last name, which is fairly unusual). As far as personal details, she did get pretty involved with the diagnosis, IEPs, her childhood etc. (We three were super close as kids, like sibs) We know my cousin calling the schools is not going to HELP her in anyway, but I guess what I'm asking is if it will be an automatic rejection. Unfortunately it kinda sounds like she doesn't have much of a chance in any event. :(

Hi,

I think my sister did include her first name (we are cousins so we share the same last name, which is fairly unusual). As far as personal details, she did get pretty involved with the diagnosis, IEPs, her childhood etc. (We three were super close as kids, like sibs) We know my cousin calling the schools is not going to HELP her in anyway, but I guess what I'm asking is if it will be an automatic rejection. Unfortunately it kinda sounds like she doesn't have much of a chance in any event. :(

Well, she didn't technically do anything wrong or illegal, so there's no way to know. I doubt they would immediately pull her file and reject it. I understand that she as an autism spectrum diagnosis, but that was a pretty mean thing of your cousin to do.

Hi,

I think the best thing to do now is just wait, there's really no way for us to speculate what her chances are. And just tell her to keep trying! I didn't make it last year to the school I applied to, so I worked as an slpa to gain more experience which helped a lot. My gpa wasn't great too but I just made sure I had great references, experience and statement :)

Edited by messybrownhair

Just got rejected from Emerson :(. I had a feeling, but meeeeh. I think I had a competitive application, but they had so many applicants. I guess I just feel extra lame 'cause I've only seen acceptances from Emerson on here, so I'm special...and not in the good way. Oh, well. Congratulations to all of you who were accepted!

Awww Shelley!!! You are not lame! I actually commend you on being honest on your rejection. Maybe the reason you are only seing aceptances on here is because people don't have the courage to admit that they applied there and were in fact, rejected. I'm sorry! Cheer up & good luck! I know it is not a good feeling! :)

Just got rejected from Emerson :(. I had a feeling, but meeeeh. I think I had a competitive application, but they had so many applicants. I guess I just feel extra lame 'cause I've only seen acceptances from Emerson on here, so I'm special...and not in the good way. Oh, well. Congratulations to all of you who were accepted!

I might end up having to take Post-Bachelors courses because right now I am being considered an 'out of major' applicant which has seriously hurt my chances of getting in places. I noticed that on the results page, quite a few people have posted that they completed Post-Bachelors in the Communication and Disorders major and I was just wondering which schools you completed this in?

I am trying to find out what universities offer the Post-bachelors 'levelling' courses, rather than having to complete an entirely new bachelors program.

Thanks!

For those of you looking for Emerson responses: they have apparently updated their eCommon application status tab. When you click on your application status link, an uploaded letter should show up saying accepted/rejected.

Or, in my case, your letter could say absolutely nothing but "Dear so-and-so". So annoying!

I might end up having to take Post-Bachelors courses because right now I am being considered an 'out of major' applicant which has seriously hurt my chances of getting in places. I noticed that on the results page, quite a few people have posted that they completed Post-Bachelors in the Communication and Disorders major and I was just wondering which schools you completed this in?

I am trying to find out what universities offer the Post-bachelors 'levelling' courses, rather than having to complete an entirely new bachelors program.

Thanks!

There are a LOT of schools that offer these classes. I would first check with the universities you're interested in, as most schools have some type of prereq completion option available, and that way you take the classes you need for that specific school since they vary across the board. I took my prepreq classes at 4 different schools just because I wanted to feel them out and get to know the faculty and clinic there, but it made for a transcript hassle come application time.

If there are no face-to-face class options around you, a popular (and crazy cheap!) online option is Utah State University. They offer all of their comm-dis prereq courses every semester (and you don't need to be part of their bachelors program to take them). Check them out: http://comd.usu.edu/...stbach_overview

Edited by FutureSLP

There are a LOT of schools that offer these classes. I would first check with the universities you're interested in, as most schools have some type of prereq completion option available, and that way you take the classes you need for that specific school since they vary across the board. I took my prepreq classes at 4 different schools just because I wanted to feel them out and get to know the faculty and clinic there, but it made for a transcript hassle come application time.

If there are no face-to-face class options around you, a popular (and crazy cheap!) online option is Utah State University. They offer all of their comm-dis prereq courses every semester (and you don't need to be part of their bachelors program to take them). Check them out: http://comd.usu.edu/...stbach_overview

Thanks for this reply! I am an international applicant, so there really aren't any schools too close to me! Is it different to take a leveling program as opposed to just completing the pre-reqs as individual classes? I'm not too familiar with the US system.

FutureSLP -- did you complete any at Utah State? Do you know if schools consider online courses the same as in person courses in terms of quality when it comes to graduate applications?

Edited by squaresquared

What is your first major?

Thanks!

Ah, I see... that is not too far off... did you apply to grad schools and already get rejected? Or are you just thinking about your Plan B just in case?

My major is in Speech Sciences. From the leveling programs I looked at, the key courses I am missing are clinic based. We are not allowed to do any clinic work at my home university unless we have a SLP degree or are in the graduate program.

Ah, I see... that is not too far off... did you apply to grad schools and already get rejected? Or are you just thinking about your Plan B just in case?

I've been rejected by a couple and am waiting on a couple. One of the programs emailed me saying that I was not considered due to my out of major status and that I was missing some of the courses they would like me to have (clinic based). They said otherwise I was a strong candidate, so they are recommending me for their leveling program. I'd like to know my options though because I am very unfamiliar with the difference between leveling programs and actually completing another bachelors with the major being communication & disorders. I'm not sure if all graduate progarms at diff. universities would consider the leveling program equivalent to the bachelors. I just don't want to do a leveling program and then run into the same problem again!

I took mine at the University of South Florida. There were 7 classes that I finished in about a year (they offer 2-3 classes a semester). Everything was online, which made it very convenient. I contacted the schools I knew I would apply to prior to taking my postbacc courses in order to make sure that the classes would be acceptable for their program. I know Utah State offers leveling classes as well. Good luck!

Thanks!

My major is in Speech Sciences. From the leveling programs I looked at, the key courses I am missing are clinic based. We are not allowed to do any clinic work at my home university unless we have a SLP degree or are in the graduate program.

Sounds like you just need a couple of classes then--I'm not sure why they would classify you as out-of-field for this. You can easily finish a couple of courses before the Fall and get caught up with everyone else.

I would call the schools you're planning on/thinking of attending and ask them what their prereq requirements are in your case. You can ask them about whether or not online classes will be accepted too (should you go the USU route).

I have taken a couple of courses through USU that I couldn't take locally, and found it to be a decent experience. A good thing to note: even though the class is online, you do need to get an official to proctor all of your exams. I went to my local library for mine.

Thanks!

I'm in a post-bacc program right now. There are actually 25 of us right now, so it's not really an unusual thing to do. We make up about 1/2 to 1/3 of the classes that we're in. We're taking classes with the undergrads, but not completing second BAs. We have a post-bacc advisor who helps us figure out what classes we need. The post-baccs to clinical observation and are even allowed to assist in the clinic.

Edited by tayfray

I'm in a post-bacc program right now. There are actually 25 of us right now, so it's not really an unusual thing to do. We make up about 1/2 to 1/3 of the classes that we're in. We're taking classes with the undergrads, but not completing second BAs. We have a post-bacc advisor who helps us figure out what classes we need. The post-baccs to clinical observation and are even allowed to assist in the clinic.

TayFray, which school are you attending for your program? How do you find the courses? May I also ask what your first degree was in?