SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Elizalou, congrats on getting into GWU. Mind me asking, what are you stats?

I am still waiting on them... Thanks!

Thanks! And no problem for the stats. I was a 3.95 overall GPA, 4.0 double major in Linguistics and Spanish; 660 Verbal, 650 Quantitative and 5.0 Writing. Intern, volunteering and shadowing experience with various SLP's and children's organizations and four months as a first grade teacher in Guatemala.

Oh my gosh, still waiting on BU results. Wish I'd known I could call and get the result! Hoping for tomorrow....

I tried calling and they wouldn't give it to me! However, I did check the mail later and it was there :)

And in my opinion, if you made it to MGH you would be crazy not to accept it coz I've heard nothing but just amazing reviews on their program. I am more inclined to work with kids, I worked two years with kids and I just loved it :)

You're a sweetie. :) I'll definitely let you know which I end up choosing.

I got into Radford! So excited, it's my second acceptance, but first for an in-class program (the other is Nova- online). whew! still waiting to hear from other schools, but this gives me hope. I have to let them know by March 21 though!!! ahh.. what if I say yes to Radford but change my mind because I get another acceptance to another choice? how does that work?? thanks !

Does anyone know if there is a general thread to just discuss SLP programs? I have a hard time navigating this site for some reason. I am a year off from applying but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Nazareth College? Also, do you know if going to visit the school beforehand helps at all admissions wise? I really want to get in to their deaf specialty program even though I know it will be a long shot.

Well I am most likely going to Emerson unless I make it to bloom which I doubt, so let me know if any of you are set on Emerson :)

I think I'm pretty set on Emerson! I like MGH but it's just too expensive for me and they didn't offer me any funding. I think I'm going to visit in about 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if there is a general thread to just discuss SLP programs? I have a hard time navigating this site for some reason. I am a year off from applying but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Nazareth College? Also, do you know if going to visit the school beforehand helps at all admissions wise? I really want to get in to their deaf specialty program even though I know it will be a long shot.

This is really the only 'live' thread going on for SLP that I am aware of. Someone who frequents this thread might be able to help you out with your questions about Nazareth. If you want to search the forums for specific topics, just type key words into the search box in the top right of your screen (not sure if you already did this)! You might be able to do that to find general information about the college or anything else you are interested in knowing. Hope this helps a bit!

I think that this is pretty much the place to do it but you can also start another forum subject if you wanted. I live right down the street from Nazareth College and am taking two SLP prerequisite classes there right now and am really liking it so far. I don't know much about their graduate program in general though because I decided not to apply since I want to get out of my hometown for a bit. But I do know that if you are looking for a good deaf specialty program then Nazareth is probably a great option. Rochester has a very large and active deaf community so there are tons of opportunities for placements and work after school here. I'm not sure how much sway it has if you visit the program beforehand but I honestly wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference for admissions. I would think that it mainly be more helpful for you just in deciding what kind of program you want. I'd think that your academic record, experience and initiative in becoming familiar with the field, essay and letters of rec. ect would have the most weight. Hope that helps a little! Overall I have had a great experience there and have found the faculty very knowledgeable, approachable and able to practically apply information we are learning. Good luck on your search!

I think that this is pretty much the place to do it but you can also start another forum subject if you wanted. I live right down the street from Nazareth College and am taking two SLP prerequisite classes there right now and am really liking it so far. I don't know much about their graduate program in general though because I decided not to apply since I want to get out of my hometown for a bit. But I do know that if you are looking for a good deaf specialty program then Nazareth is probably a great option. Rochester has a very large and active deaf community so there are tons of opportunities for placements and work after school here. I'm not sure how much sway it has if you visit the program beforehand but I honestly wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference for admissions. I would think that it mainly be more helpful for you just in deciding what kind of program you want. I'd think that your academic record, experience and initiative in becoming familiar with the field, essay and letters of rec. ect would have the most weight. Hope that helps a little! Overall I have had a great experience there and have found the faculty very knowledgeable, approachable and able to practically apply information we are learning. Good luck on your search!

Thanks! Yeah I think Nazareth and Gallaudet are my top choices but it seems so competitive now that I am freaking out and I still have a year to wait before I even start the process lol.

I got into Radford! So excited, it's my second acceptance, but first for an in-class program (the other is Nova- online). whew! still waiting to hear from other schools, but this gives me hope. I have to let them know by March 21 though!!! ahh.. what if I say yes to Radford but change my mind because I get another acceptance to another choice? how does that work?? thanks !

Hey! I got my acceptance letter to Radford today! Its been my first acceptance letter- still waiting to hear from 5 schools hope they tell me by the 21st- idk about changing your mind after you accept but i'd also love to know how that works.

Has anybody heard from :University MN Duluth, sdsu, university of WI river falls, longwood, university of northern colorado?

accepted: Radford

Waitlisted: University AR medical sciences

Rejected: Chico, Memphis, UW eau claire

Thanks! And no problem for the stats. I was a 3.95 overall GPA, 4.0 double major in Linguistics and Spanish; 660 Verbal, 650 Quantitative and 5.0 Writing. Intern, volunteering and shadowing experience with various SLP's and children's organizations and four months as a first grade teacher in Guatemala.

Your experiences sound amazing! What school are you leaning towards?

I tried calling and they wouldn't give it to me! However, I did check the mail later and it was there :)

Did BU end up sending the letter to your permanent or your mailing address? I'm habitually checking the mail and calling my parents, but I'm away for the weekend (and so are they) and want to know who to bug first come Sunday.

Your experiences sound amazing! What school are you leaning towards?

Thanks! I am in the process of figuring it out and talking to any current students and SLPs in the area but I don't know... I am sort of leaning towards MGH which is strange because I thought BU was my first choice when I was applying. We'll see though and hopefully visiting them both will really help me make a decision!

Did BU end up sending the letter to your permanent or your mailing address? I'm habitually checking the mail and calling my parents, but I'm away for the weekend (and so are they) and want to know who to bug first come Sunday.

My permanent and mailing address are both the same because I graduated in December. It did say on the postage they sent it on the 8th and I received it on the 11th.

Thanks! Yeah I think Nazareth and Gallaudet are my top choices but it seems so competitive now that I am freaking out and I still have a year to wait before I even start the process lol.

I am applying to Gallaudet, but have not visited yet. What do you like about it gatorgirl?

Hey! I got my acceptance letter to Radford today! Its been my first acceptance letter- still waiting to hear from 5 schools hope they tell me by the 21st- idk about changing your mind after you accept but i'd also love to know how that works.

Cali - I hope the other schools get back to me too ! otherwise, I'm not sure how to go about this. Have you visited Radford? I haven't and not sure if I even will like it, but wouldn't have any time to check it out before the 21st, that's for sure!

I am applying to Gallaudet, but have not visited yet. What do you like about it gatorgirl?

Well I have taken sign language and loved it so I have been looking for programs that would let me continue using those skills and work with the hard of hearing/deaf while in school which is why Nazareth's program is amazing. I like Gallaudet because while they dont have a deaf specialty program like Nazareth you have to take 3 classes of ASL and they let you take extra classes on Aural rehabilitation and you are basically surrounded by deaf culture since every other program has a majority of deaf students in them. I am in a club called Signing Gators and we've watched clips and talked to students going there during our meetings via Skype and they all gad great things to say about it. Plus the price is great lol.

I haven't visited either but I have been to Washington for a two days and loved it there. My friend who is applying at the same time did though. She said the campus and facilities were great, the campus isn't in that great an area though. She also said the campus was really empty and quiet (which I guess you should expect seeing as how everyone signs) and she was there on a weekday for like two hours. So I would really have to go check it out beforehand if I got in but as it stands right now I could see myself going there. I am planning on retaking ASL 2 and 3 because as it stands my signing skills are rusty so I hope to be up to par when I graduate.

When do you expect to hear back from them? Good luck!