SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

I was waitlisted at NYU too...and it was my first choice. Super upset. I hate not knowing what is going to happen.

I got waitlisted at NYU too. Do we know about how big the waitlist is? Seems like a lot of people are on it! Who knows...

Off the subject of admissions...does anyone have ideas of good questions to be sure to ask the schools that we are thinking about attending? I am planning to visit UT Dallas soon, and I know some of the things that I definitely want to ask them, but I'm sure that there are things that I'm not thinking of. I figured maybe we could brainstorm a list together, because I'm guessing that lots of us will be visiting schools in the next few months!

UW just sent another email about that stupid survey and got me excited for nothing AGAIN. Couldn't they wait until after they've sent out admissions to ask us to fill out a dumb survey?! Althought I guess admissions decisions could bias people's answers. I'd probably write them a glowing review if I got in, but after a rejection maybe not so much :P

UW just sent another email about that stupid survey and got me excited for nothing AGAIN. Couldn't they wait until after they've sent out admissions to ask us to fill out a dumb survey?! Althought I guess admissions decisions could bias people's answers. I'd probably write them a glowing review if I got in, but after a rejection maybe not so much :P

OMG- felt the same exact wat when I saw the survey again!

I applied to USF, and my application has been complete for quite a while. The only thing I have from them is a UID to go and check my application credentials, but all it says is that everything is in and complete. I didn't get an email notification, but I did call to double check that everything had been rec'd. I wonder what their applicant pool was like. Any idea?

That makes me feel better...I received the e-mail with the UID also. I'm not sure about the application pool this year!

Off the subject of admissions...does anyone have ideas of good questions to be sure to ask the schools that we are thinking about attending? I am planning to visit UT Dallas soon, and I know some of the things that I definitely want to ask them, but I'm sure that there are things that I'm not thinking of. I figured maybe we could brainstorm a list together, because I'm guessing that lots of us will be visiting schools in the next few months!

Oh boy. Sorry in advance for being way more thorough than you probably wanted :)

Academics:

-How many credits do you carry per semester?

-What electives are available?

-How rigid is the course schedule (can it be tailored to your interests)

-Are there comps? How are they structured?

-Is there an option to do a thesis? How do you go about it? Does it replace comps or in addition?

-What areas would they say the school is strongest in? (professor specialties/areas of interest)

Research:

-How can students get involved in research?

-Can students obtain paid research positions?

-What are some research projects currently occurring?

-Are students encouraged to pursue research?

Clinic:

-What is the school's supervision style in the clinic? ("sink or swim", apprenticeship, etc.)

-When do you begin working in the clinic as a student?

-What population(s) does the school clinic typically see?

-Does the school work to place you in your internships?

-If yes, do you get any choice in the matter or do you just take what's assigned to you?

-What are the typical externship sites?

-How much exposure will you get with X population (whatever interests you most)

Funding

-Is there funding available? If yes, in what form?

-Assistantships? (research/teaching)

-How do they like the area?

-Cost of living, transportation, fun things to do, etc...I find people really like talking about this when I ask.

There have been a couple of times when I've had the opportunity to speak with current grad students. I tend to ask them specifics about the work load, the city, how the students interact with each other (in some programs they seem to be more competitive and in others they're close friends), best places to live, etc.

If you have specific areas of interest, be sure to ask what they have going on in that area and what opportunities there are for students (whether clinically, in research, independent studies, coursework, etc.)

I probably missed a bunch but this was basically my list last time I went on a visit. Feel free to add!

Thanks for the info! :)

When I went to visit a school, I asked the professor what makes for a successful student in their program?

I also inquired about placement for internships, some schools only place you citywide but other programs may offer to place you nationwide. Finally, if you are interested in anything specific- is there room for research about it with a professor or thesis option? I'm particularly interested in dysphagia,voice disorders, and FEES- the school I'm interested in told me I could be placed with a specific professor who specializes in those areas for an independent study.

Hope this helps! :)

dysphagia,voice disorders, and FEES

Hey, we have similar interest areas! I work in research in voice disorders (and dysphagia, to a much lesser degree) right now and love it! That explains some of our overlap in top school choices :)

Hey, we have similar interest areas! I work in research in voice disorders (and dysphagia, to a much lesser degree) right now and love it! That explains some of our overlap in top school choices :)

I'm so interested in thoses areas and that's definitely why I am leaning towards medically based programs! :)

Did anyone try to join the Rush page on Facebook and create a profile under the Student Admissions section? It wouldn't let me : / I figured I would go ahead and do it...something else for me to obsess over I'm sure!

Lizmeyers2, Just curious why you don't think you will get into Columbia?? I applied there...not sure what to expect

I applied there last year and was rejected. I got different reccomenders and took a class at GW this summer as well as the GREs, but I just feel like it's not going to happen. If I got waitlisted at NYU then I probably won't get into Columbia.

Did anyone try to join the Rush page on Facebook and create a profile under the Student Admissions section? It wouldn't let me : / I figured I would go ahead and do it...something else for me to obsess over I'm sure!

It didn't work for me either. Pretty strange considering I received the invite.

I applied there last year and was rejected. I got different reccomenders and took a class at GW this summer as well as the GREs, but I just feel like it's not going to happen. If I got waitlisted at NYU then I probably won't get into Columbia.

I liked Columbia because they take a holistic view of applicants and really look at all aspects. I appreciate that about them. You never know...you could be exactly what they are looking for!

Has anyone been called for an interview for New York Medical College???

I have not heard anything from them since they emailed me to ask for the syllabus to my physical science class from college. They told me my app was complete and I haven't heard from them since...hopefully we hear soon!!!!

I have not heard anything from them since they emailed me to ask for the syllabus to my physical science class from college. They told me my app was complete and I haven't heard from them since...hopefully we hear soon!!!!

I'm starting to get anxious because I thought interviews were suppose to start in February,hmm I guess we shall find out soon enough.

I'm starting to get anxious because I thought interviews were suppose to start in February,hmm I guess we shall find out soon enough.

I know! But I haven't seen anyone on here talk about getting an interview so I am thinking that maybe they are running a little behind this year. I saw that people got interviews into March last year. When did you submit your application...I think I submitted mine around January18..20... something like that?

I know! But I haven't seen anyone on here talk about getting an interview so I am thinking that maybe they are running a little behind this year. I saw that people got interviews into March last year. When did you submit your application...I think I submitted mine around January18..20... something like that?

I submitted my app January 25th! Deadline isn't until March 1st!

Did you attend their open house this past November?

I know!! I might email the same lady that I talked to before if I don't hear anything next week. I have never been there! Did you go? Did you like it? I am SO nervous!

I know!! I might email the same lady that I talked to before if I don't hear anything next week. I have never been there! Did you go? Did you like it? I am SO nervous!

I went and I loved it! They seem very laid back and they want you to do well in the program for sure! Definitely a medically based program,very medically based actually,but that's why I loved it!