SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Speaking of Chicago, what do you know about St. Xavier?

Just some info for those interested in St. Xav's, I've heard AWESOME things about the program (and I know some of the faculty there, and they're all extremely nice and helpful). However, if you're looking for a school that's IN the city, St. Xavier's is about as far southwest as you can go (some of their campus is technically out of city limits). I'm from around there and know a few people that went to the school specifically because the university said they were IN Chicago, and they were pretty disappointed when they saw how far away they were from downtown proper. The area around campus is pretty ok (think "very busy suburb" atmosphere), and there are trains to get places, but public transportation may be slow, so I'd recommend thinking about bringing a car down there. Rush, on the other hand, is much more in the downtown area, so it's easier to get around (though you have to be a little careful of some areas around the campus).

Sorry for the long winded post...just thought it might be helpful. :)

Just some info for those interested in St. Xav's, I've heard AWESOME things about the program (and I know some of the faculty there, and they're all extremely nice and helpful). However, if you're looking for a school that's IN the city, St. Xavier's is about as far southwest as you can go (some of their campus is technically out of city limits). I'm from around there and know a few people that went to the school specifically because the university said they were IN Chicago, and they were pretty disappointed when they saw how far away they were from downtown proper. The area around campus is pretty ok (think "very busy suburb" atmosphere), and there are trains to get places, but public transportation may be slow, so I'd recommend thinking about bringing a car down there. Rush, on the other hand, is much more in the downtown area, so it's easier to get around (though you have to be a little careful of some areas around the campus).

Sorry for the long winded post...just thought it might be helpful. :)

That's really great to know that you have heard such good things about St. Xavier!! Is there anything in particular that you have to say about it?

I do know about that location. I think that I would be okay with that...because I'm not used to living in big cities and I feel like it would almost be a distraction for me...but at the same time, I like the idea of being relatively close, for when I have the time to go experience it. I've been wondering about whether I would want to bring my car there. From what you know of the area, is it a convenient place to have one? Meaning do you think that in that area, most apartments/places that you would drive would parking lots? It's just kind of hard for me to picture what it is like there...I know that it's not in the downtown area, but I just always think of places like Chicago as areas where it would be more trouble than it is worth to try to have a car.

That's really great to know that you have heard such good things about St. Xavier!! Is there anything in particular that you have to say about it?

I do know about that location. I think that I would be okay with that...because I'm not used to living in big cities and I feel like it would almost be a distraction for me...but at the same time, I like the idea of being relatively close, for when I have the time to go experience it. I've been wondering about whether I would want to bring my car there. From what you know of the area, is it a convenient place to have one? Meaning do you think that in that area, most apartments/places that you would drive would parking lots? It's just kind of hard for me to picture what it is like there...I know that it's not in the downtown area, but I just always think of places like Chicago as areas where it would be more trouble than it is worth to try to have a car.

About St. Xavier's, nothing really in particular, but like I said, I do know faculty and graduates/friends from there, and they've always been extremely helpful and nice when I've worked with them on research. If I wasn't an out-of-field applicant, it would have been my first choice.

I know of a lot of apartments around there, and I'm sure you could find something pretty affordable around the area. As for having your own car, all places have parking areas, and even street parking isn't that much of a hassle. Traffic can be a pain, but definitely not as bad as driving/parking in the downtown area or on the Northside. Having your own car, in my opinion, is way more convenient in that area, especially because when you want to drive to downtown for sightseeing and whatever else, it's only 20 minutes away (on good traffic days, of course <_< ).

That makes me feel better...I received the e-mail with the UID also. I'm not sure about the application pool this year!

I didn't apply to USF, but one of my friends did, and she said something to me about decisions going out on March 12th. I'm not positive how she found that out, but I think that she got an email about it.

Hi! I applied to USF also and haven't received an email or anything from them, but I already have a UID since I'm currently in a prereq class online with them. I know their site says they start sending out acceptance emails in early March, but I also saw last year at this time people started finding out. Ahhhh....I hope it's soon...

So, I know everyone is really stressed out about applications and thought you would need a break to de-stress. I wanted to share a great resource with all of you. I just joined Pinterest and found there to be a wealth of information on SLP apps, SLP blogs, creative therapy ideas for phonological awareness, articulation, and social skills groups, as well as reading comprehension and parent handouts. I was amazed by how much has been shared on the site and am excited to start implementing some of the ideas at the clinic I work at. I thought each of you would enjoy perusing the information as well. So join, start creating boards and happy pinning!...and good luck with your applications!!

This shouldn't come as a surprise, but I found out yesterday that MGH had over 400 applicants as well... though it's not as bad news since they have a larger class than some of the other programs.

Have you heard anything from them?

Ughh I hate CSDCAS with a passion!!!

On a brighter note I just received an invitation to New York Medical College in the mail. Not as good as an acceptance, but I'll take it!

Did you receive an invitation for an interview? If you don't mind me asking, when did you send your app in?

Thanks! I am freaking out and so nervous now!! Someone got one yesterday and I just opened mine so yours should be coming soon!!! : )

I hope so! From what they said at the open house, the interview process is laid back, multiple professors do interviews and I think there are group exercises and you also get to talk with current grad students!

I hope so! From what they said at the open house, the interview process is laid back, multiple professors do interviews and I think there are group exercises and you also get to talk with current grad students!

Ok good because I have no idea what to expect! Do I wear a suit? or do I just dress up? What should I know prior..ahh Anyone with any interview knowledge please help!

Ok good because I have no idea what to expect! Do I wear a suit? or do I just dress up? What should I know prior..ahh Anyone with any interview knowledge please help!

I would dress up for an interview. No one is going to judge you for being overdressed in an interview, but the same can't be said for being under-dressed. I dressed up even for department visits that I had scheduled (skirt, nice top, nice shoes). You don't want to not get in for something as silly as being under-dressed for your interview!

I would definitely dress for an interview! It's up to you if you want to wear a suit,but khakis or dress pants and a nice button down would probably suffice and nice shoes of course! lol

I would dress up for an interview. No one is going to judge you for being overdressed in an interview, but the same can't be said for being under-dressed. I dressed up even for department visits that I had scheduled (skirt, nice top, nice shoes). You don't want to not get in for something as silly as being under-dressed for your interview!

Also a heads up, I think they want a writing sample so they will provide you with a quote and you may have to explain, also if you have an Undergrad degree in Speech they will ask you appropriate questions, they stated that at the open house as well!

Rush applicants, did any of you fill out and send in the Institutional Aid form? to apply for financial aid at Rush, their instructions say to fill out FAFSA (which i've already done) and the Institutional Aid form.. but i don't really want to do this unless i get accepted. so i'm just wondering what the rest of you did.

Edited by trina

Rush applicants, did any of you fill out and send in the Institutional Aid form? to apply for financial aid at Rush, their instructions say to fill out FAFSA (which i've already done) and the Institutional Aid form.. but i don't really want to do this unless i get accepted. so i'm just wondering what the rest of you did.

I haven't yet because I haven't even done my FAFSA yet. So behind on that stuff!