SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Did you get your acceptance via mail or email? I applied to TC but haven't heard anything yet! Just wanted to know how I will be receiving a decision.

I got an e-mail to check the application portal, and there was a link to an acceptance letter there. The e-mail came at around 6:15 EST--after work hours...

Rush made a mistake... I'm in! Apparently they had two people with my last name. My eyes still burn from crying all day, but this is such a welcomed surprise!

Wow! Congratulations! I am glad you got in, and glad that it didn't take too long for them to figure out their mistake. I guess this is what happens when a school's applications double and their support staff doesn't?

Thank you! Yes, I also applied to UTD. I was accepted there a couple of days ago. I've visited that program and really liked it. How about you? What are you thinking?

I applied to UTD, Texas State, UNT and University of Houston. I havent heard back from any yet, but I didnt get my applications in super early like a lot of other people. How did UTD inform you that you got in, email or letter? Also, when did you turn in your apps?

Anybody know if Washington has an open house?

none that I know of post decisions going out but you should be able to get a tour of the facilities and speak to a professor if you are able to make the trip up to Seattle. I am also happy to answer any questions I can about Seattle/the department. Did you get into the masters program or the post bacc?

I know this is a long shot but has anyone heard anything from Western Washington? I know that they said to expect a decision as early as late February but I haven't seen that anyone has been accepted. I'm too nervous to call and ask so I just keep checking my email constantly. I'm thinking/hoping tomorrow might be the day!

Congrats on Rush, everyone! I am now wondering how to pay for it. I would do just about anything, including working, but I also want to do well in school. Is anyone looking at the work-study program? Would that even be feasible?

This has been a really weird experience. My dad has warned me that graduate school really boils down to luck and randomness...and I think so. Rejected from low ranked schools, accepted from high ranked ones, and decisions for people on here...it would be cool if we could all connect in 3-5 years and see if all our worrying and freaking out was worth it haha.

Congrats on Rush, everyone! I am now wondering how to pay for it. I would do just about anything, including working, but I also want to do well in school. Is anyone looking at the work-study program? Would that even be feasible?

Students at Rush and Northwestern both told me it is not feasible to work. Northwestern gives some merit based scholarships (small-- nothing more than $15k a year) and rush provides need-based funding based on your parent info. The Saint Xavier student I spoke to said a lot of people work--including herself.

I plan on just working after I finish the program, and I'll pay them off slowly--and hopefully utilize loan forgiveness programs for working SLPs.

Edited by Hopeful SLP

I've been reading these boards for weeks...it's time I made an account so I can talk to you guys! At times this site has filled me with hope, and more often than not it has sunk me in to terrible despair. I'm sure you all know what I mean!

I applied a couple of years ago and did not get in anywhere. It was pretty heartbreaking. I joined AmeriCorps for two years working in a similar area and decided to try on LAST time to get in somewhere.

I am not a perfect applicant. My grades barely make the cut. My test scores are fine, but nothing special. I DID work my ass off for two years and made some great (letter of recommendation writing) contacts. And guess what? I GOT IN. With a huge scholarship, no less!!

So those of you still waiting to hear...don't give up! There is still hope! Even if you don't have all A's! If this is your dream, you can make it happen!

That said...I feel everyone's pain in this waiting game. I've heard from just one out of the 5 schools I applied to. Thank god it was an acceptance.

FYI for everyone who does not get in this year: Worcester State in Worcester, Massachusetts accepts students with a GPA within the range of 3.2 - 4.0 from what I can tell. If you have a writing score of 3.5 or lower, study and get that score up to 4.0 or higher. They charge the same price to out of state and in state students. They are a little lesser known school but still a very good school. They are about $500 a credit I believe. They are outside of Boston and housing is more affordable. Don't give up hope if you don't get in this year.

Edited by KFKSEA

thanks! and yes, 1pm-4:10pm were the worst hours of my life. I just walked around zombie crying. call me dramatic, but I've had my heart set on rush for two years. :wub: I forgive them already, ha ha.

she did apologize--and the first words out of my mouth were, "I don't even care anymore! Thank you!"

Congratulations! Holy cow what a roller coaster!

I've been reading these boards for weeks...it's time I made an account so I can talk to you guys! At times this site has filled me with hope, and more often than not it has sunk me in to terrible despair. I'm sure you all know what I mean!

Welcome aboard! This forum has been great for helping me keep my sanity.

Speaking of sanity - I have a box of Thin Mints that stands to disappear if I don't hear back from some more schools soon. Looking at you, MGH and UC. Just put me out of my misery, please.

FYI for everyone who does not get in this year: Worcester State in Worcester, Massachusetts accepts students with a GPA within the range of 3.2 - 4.0 from what I can tell. If you have a writing score of 3.5 or lower, study and get that score up to 4.0 or higher. They charge the same price to out of state and in state students. They are a little lesser known school but still a very good school. They are about $500 a credit I believe. They are outside of Boston and housing is more affordable. Don't give up hope if you don't get in this year.

I applied to worcester this year and had the worst experience. Problem #1 - I visited for one of their info sessions and fell in love with the campus, which i now realize i shouldn't have done until after accepted. UGH. Problem #2 - They must have a computer program reading your transcript, not a real person, because they contacted me and told me I was missing 4 pre-recs. Something like statistics (which i had 2 stats courses on my transcript, they just were not called "statistics") a physical science, a social science, and speech science. So i spent days in contact with the department, sending them copies of old syllabi and such, and still in the end, one of my pre-recs did add up. So they told me my file would be 'incomplete'. At the point I found out, it was already too late for me to sign up and take the class before summer. I was super sad, especially after paying for GREs and transcripts to be sent, and the application fee. BUT you're right, the school seemed great, especially for people like me who don't test well and have lowish GRE scores, and I hope nobody else has the same issues I ran into.

Welcome aboard! This forum has been great for helping me keep my sanity.

Speaking of sanity - I have a box of Thin Mints that stands to disappear if I don't hear back from some more schools soon. Looking at you, MGH and UC. Just put me out of my misery, please.

I've been eating Thin Mints daily... :)

Well I've been trying to hold out hope for Columbia. Yesterday was a really big day in my family (four pretty amazing things happened within like 20 hours) and I was hoping to top the day off with an acceptance, but alas, this did not happen. I am obsessively logging into the application and next step websites to see if a decision is there. I think I need an intervention.

You are not alone, lizmeyers2. We all probably need an intervention.

That's for sure! I'm packing right now for a self-imposed intervention, hopefully it doesn't backfire and make me even more neurotic... My friends are going to get reeeally sick of hearing about my grad school woes around the campfire. I thought I would have heard from at least one school by now!

Has anyone thought about doing a thesis option? I'm already a research assistant so I have some concept of the preliminary work that would need to take place, but I'm concerned about taking on too much. Has anyone had any experience with this?

The Saint Xavier student I spoke to said a lot of people work--including herself.

Hey, I was wondering if you heard anything else worth repeating about St. Xavier? It's cool that you have gotten to talk to a student about the program...did they seem positive about it?

FSU decisions are supposed to be online at 5PM today, so good luck to fellow applicants for there! And good luck for everyone else, with hearing back from other places!!

To UCFers:

When you check your status online under MyUCF, does it list your application as incomplete? I emailed them about this back in January, inquired as to why it was incomplete since I had all of my stuff in, and they changed it to complete once they confirmed everything was in. About a couple of weeks ago, however, it was switched back to incomplete despite all of the materials listed show up as being received. Anyone else's MyUCF display this?

To UCFers:

When you check your status online under MyUCF, does it list your application as incomplete? I emailed them about this back in January, inquired as to why it was incomplete since I had all of my stuff in, and they changed it to complete once they confirmed everything was in. About a couple of weeks ago, however, it was switched back to incomplete despite all of the materials listed show up as being received. Anyone else's MyUCF display this?

hmm, I actually don't think that I have a MyUCF account! Did they email you the information about that after you turned in the application? I don't believe that I ever got anything from them :/

To UCFers:

I currently go to UCF and mine says incomplete. For me it is because they only have my "preliminary" transcripts because I am graduating this semester and am taking classes right now.

hmm, I actually don't think that I have a MyUCF account! Did they email you the information about that after you turned in the application? I don't believe that I ever got anything from them :/

I wouldn't worry. I also applied to the NonDegree seeking program (to which I was accepted) as a backup plan if I didn't get into grad school. It's essentially a post-bacc program. Since I was admitted to that program, they told me to create a MyUCF account to accept or decline admission. When I created the account, I noticed it had all of the information for my application to the degree seeking SLP program as well. It lists all of my documents as complete, my application as incomplete, but says no decision has been made. I'm guessing you can create a MyUCF account to check your status or just wait for an email when they've made their decision.

Has anyone thought about doing a thesis option? I'm already a research assistant so I have some concept of the preliminary work that would need to take place, but I'm concerned about taking on too much. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Hi WannabeSLP, I am writing an undergraduate honors thesis right now. Honestly, it is a lot of work and a big time commitment. However, it is a rewarding experience, to know that you are adding knowledge to our field! I think it depends on what you are interested in. If there is something in this field that you love enough to dedicate a lot of time a effort on then I would say go for it! The key is making sure it is something that you are genuinely interested in.

Also I was wondering if for grad school if you choose thesis option, do you still do a clinical externship? I would not want to miss out on the clinical aspect!!

Hope this helps a little :)

Ok this may seem like a dumb question but was I supposed to fill out the fafsa a while back I thought it was once u were accepted... Did I just ruin everything?!?

Different schools have different deadlines for FAFSA. Some of them are as early as February 1. Check with your schools.. and try and get your FAFSA filled out in the meantime too. I haven't done my taxes yet, but I used estimates for mine.

Also I was wondering if for grad school if you choose thesis option, do you still do a clinical externship? I would not want to miss out on the clinical aspect!!

Yup, you still get to do your clinical externship. In most schools, the thesis replaces the comprehensive examinations - which are usually held in the spring of your second year, I think. I'm pretty interested in doing a thesis, but I don't have much research experience.. so I'll probably figure this out a little later. I might try and get a research assistantship and see how that pans out before deciding what to do.

Edited by trina